Rabbit Killing 12G Ammo

so I have my first permissions where I can shoot my Shotguns. My question is, having never hunted with a shotgun is what Cartridge.

I have a load of cartridges I used for Clays, can i go through them first? Also I have a couple of hundred of Steel Game cartridges which I can obviously use. My question is aimed more toward the carts I had for clays. I think they are size 8 28G

I use Eley HB Pigeon, 32g 6s, fibre wads, when dealing with rabbits. They're cheap and cheerful, and they do a pretty final job on the rabbits. While you're buying rabbit cartridges, you may want to buy a box of fox cartridges, just in case you cross paths with any. I keep a handful of Express 42g 1s around, and they pack a serious punch.

HI Steve,

I've messed around with different cartridges but come back to what works well for me and my Miroku.... I use Express Pigeon Specials 30 gramms No 6 for all normal game shooting.

Duck I use heavier

Fox I use heavier

clays .... lighter

I would NEVER use No 8 on rabbit...... you need about 3 weighty bits of leadshot into somewhere serious for the bunny and No.6 will do the job well. 5 does it but more holes in the pattern.

Hope this helps

Malk

Hi guys,

I'm a bit new to things here so I can only speak to how we used to hunt rabbits in the states. For us, most of the rabbit hunting was jump shooting, i.e. 1-5 guys walk in a line through some rabbit containing brush/brambles/etc. When the rabbits flush you snap shoot. For the most part, shots were 30 yd or less, sometimes as short as 15' (if you were quick). Sometimes we would have beages with us that would trail the rabbits that we didn't get shooting at. Normally the rabbits would run a wide circle to come back where they were jumped from. Once the dog was on a bunny, the shooters just stayed put and waited until the rabbit came back around.

For that type of hunting, we normally used 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz 3 3/4 dram loads (high brass) in either 6's or 7.5 shot. I understand that shot sizes run a little smaller here for the same numerical designation (i.e. UK #5 is closer to US #6). So by my estimations #6 UK would be about #7 US. For what we hunted that would be about perfect size shot for pattern and penetration. Rabbits aren't tough to kill by any stretch. Their skin is rather thin and their muscle fairly soft. I've used US #8 shot on them, but that was for closer range open shooting (ragweed and open woods) with open chokes (cylinder) to keep the pattern density up at range. It works just fine close, but I wouldn't use that size shot past 25 yd or so.

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks... a very interesting link. much of what he says rings true with me. I use express pigeon special on rabbits as my success rate it high with them... cannot explain why but some cartridges seem to put out a horrible pattern for me but seem to work for others..... I'll leave that argument alone.