Toddbrook Reservoir

JohnfromUK

On 02/08/2019 at 16:26, JohnfromUK said:

"With such extreme weather patterns appearing

There is nothing extreme about recent rains, it never seems to stop raining in Manchester and the whole of the west coast is one big rainbutt.  It is not the first time Whaley Bridge has been flooded:  https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2019/08/04/the-whaley-bridge-flood-of-1872/

.. and it won't be the last.

RS

33 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Well his job is to oppose any rival party government to be fair.

I don't see where any (genuine) political capital is there to be made.  I cannot see anything remotely 'party political' about this.

• The reservoir was owned and looked after by a charity
  • It was subject to a (statutory?) inspection annually.  This was up to date (Nov 18) and I understand had been done by a suitably qualified independent engineer.
  • The response of the emergency services seems to have been very good and it looks like they have achieved their objective of averting disaster as they have managed to (so far partially, but work continues) empty the reservoir

There will no doubt be lessons to be learned, but so far I have not heard any suggestions that anyone has failed in any statutory duty - especially not the Government, who have rules in place which seem to have been followed.  Apparently there has not been any loss of life in the UK due to dam failure for a great many years.  I have read that the spillage overflow that failed was a relatively recent one - (1969?) but I don't know if it was a direct replacement for what was there before, or a different design.

2 hours ago, RockySpears said:

There is nothing extreme about recent rains, it never seems to stop raining in Manchester and the whole of the west coast is one big rainbutt

That may be true - I was quoting an article.  However there are instances (we had one locally here in 2007) where we had rain that caused the worst floods for well over 100 years, and such things do happen - usually every 100 years or so.  This dam had been there well over 100 years.

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, thats a drop in the Ocean with all the water ways they have to maintain

True but also no reason to suggest that because it's a charity that it would somehow cut corners. I knew them when they were BWB and with all of the 'Volunteers on board' its like having hundreds of inspectors, there is very little room to cut any corners 🙂 

On the news tonight they were apparently worried about the loss of income because the town has been shut?

Don't get it, it's been what a week? They were talking about business rates being waved and small businesses struggling, they'd be struggling more if the damn had been allowed to burst.

4 minutes ago, Mice! said:

On the news tonight they were apparently worried about the loss of income because the town has been shut?

Don't get it, it's been what a week? They were talking about business rates being waved and small businesses struggling, they'd be struggling more if the damn had been allowed to burst.

I imagine right in peak tourist season is when most of the years best weeks for income are.

Edited by JohnfromUK

12 hours ago, Mice! said:

Modern day Society

Always looking to blame someone/something, rather than be thankful of the work done to save their homes/town.

Lost income is one thing, total loss of livelihood and living accommodation is most certainly another.