Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Blackpowder

Is this a scam

Recommended Posts

Yesterday I had a letter from ,'Aviva' a company I am not with quoting the reg of a vehicle I do not own telling me  ,"they have elected to void your policy with effect from its inception date".  This they go on to say involves the fraudulent use of credit card details.  I did loose a card a month ago but cancelled it immediately so what is this all about?

 

 

Blackpowder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully it is just a mistake.

Aviva will have its own fruad department, they may be interested to se it in case it has wider implications.

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be that someone fraudulently used your card to obtain car insurance and they've now voided it.

I would forward it to your banks fraud department just to cover your ***.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Could be that someone fraudulently used your card to obtain car insurance and they've now voided it.

I would forward it to your banks fraud department just to cover your ***.

Going to the local polis this morning because if someone found and tried to use my card  their car reg is on the letter I received.  Good idea with the bank though.

 

Blackpowder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Going to the local polis this morning because if someone found and tried to use my card  their car reg is on the letter I received.  Good idea with the bank though.

 

Blackpowder

I would also contact Aviva as Tightchoke suggests. But google their number/Email to makes sure you have the right one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I would also contact Aviva as Tightchoke suggests. But google their number/Email to makes sure you have the right one.

Yep, don’t use any phone numbers/emails on the letter. :good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackpowder said:

Going to the local polis this morning because if someone found and tried to use my card  their car reg is on the letter I received.  Good idea with the bank though.

 

Blackpowder

Personally wouldn't bother. The card was cancelled, the card company is the victim and they won't want to know. The police will smile and send you on your way as it's a 3rd party report they can do nothing with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/12/2019 at 11:51, loriusgarrulus said:

Might be worth following it up with Aviva, because it could affect your credit rating.

In addition to that if you have ever had a policy cancelled it will cause you to have a load on your premium, so if they think it was you then your record will need to be checked and possibly corrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sportsbob said:

In addition to that if you have ever had a policy cancelled it will cause you to have a load on your premium, so if they think it was you then your record will need to be checked and possibly corrected.

Cheers Bob spoke to Aviva yesterday and they shall be back in touch tomorrow.

 

Blackpowder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody tried to get loans and credit cards in my name a number of years ago. We had an address from the applications (not ours obviously)

I went to the local police station and at then desk I informed them of the attempted fraud. The guy on the desk wasn't interested and said " well, they only tried" so I responded with "OK then, so does that mean I can go home and try and kill my wife then???". There was a few people in line behind me and it got quite a laugh and the guy on the desk had a sense of humor failure. 

Nothing got done though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it sorted with Aviva, given details to polis, checked with bank.   As the fraudsters car number is on the document I would have thought it an easynick.

 

Blackpowder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Got it sorted with Aviva, given details to polis, checked with bank.   As the fraudsters car number is on the document I would have thought it an easynick.

 

Blackpowder

Since then had a call from the polis to say it was not a matter for local force, but for those in Hull where the fraud attempt originated from.

Blackpowder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Since then had a call from the polis to say it was not a matter for local force, but for those in Hull where the fraud attempt originated from.

Blackpowder

 

15 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

Since then had a call from the polis to say it was not a matter for local force, but for those in Hull where the fraud attempt originated from.

Blackpowder

Aye, Peebles Plod to busy doing nowt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...