My 1st time building a pigeon hide

Camo_Girl

and yes.....i mean pigeon hides :rolleyes:

Got my decoys and ideas of how to set them, now need a hide but not sure what size and whether net is the best idea. This will be my first hide an i know practice makes perfect but would like to make one which works well.

I'm only 5ft so doesnt need to be too tall, but does it need a roof ?

Do i use 4 poles and a net, camo tarpaulin or pop up hide?

If net, what type is best to use and who knows a good deal for cheap hide netting

Silly questions from the new girl

I allways start by placing my seat. If this is not level or comfortable then it can make the day miserable. I aim to have a roof over the seat so i can look out but not be seen or be in direct sunlight. A bit of space either side of the seat and space in front to step forward to take the shot and thats it really. Cant comment on pop ups but a well made comfortable hide can make or break a day. I use poles and cammo netting.

Cheers Andy.

the land we shoot on doesnt have much cover really, one field has a small pond about 20 yards from the hedgeline which has cover, maybe i should try that then.

I saw pin's hide earlier and thought how good it looked, and wuite simple aswell

There is an old railway embankment which we can walk along which is quite high with cover along the edge - i wonder if we could set up the decoys in the field at the bottom of the embankment and shoot from the top ?

Ex MOD cammo netting is probably the cheapest artificial hide material and I prefer it to other kinds.

Its important to have a background to your hide, so that you are not sillouhetted against the skyline.

Its only worth placing your hide and decoys where you know birds are feeding, as opposed to places its easy to set it up.

There are lots of threads on this subject buried in the Forums.

Try the "Search" facility in the top right hand corner. :rolleyes:

B) You havent mentioned if you are shooting on your own or not if there is little to no cover i would go for a popup

good for one person failing that a guillysute there about £90 but light and you dont ave to carry it you can wear it leaving your hands free for gun carts seat decoys etc Bushcraft do one with a seat in it i have one but cannot get on with it as i have a dog if you want one of these let me know :rolleyes: :(

Hi winchester... do you have a link for one or can I pop over and have a look... I work in Coventry...Please PM me if I can see one.

Thanks

Malk

The best thing that i can suggest is 4 or 5 hide poles and an ex army camo net. i tend not to use a roof as it can sometimes restrict your shooting as you are either rushing shots or arn't able to shoot at any birds just flighting over because the roof is there. i find that just sitting still if you see a bird flighting from behind works well then stand up and take the shot when your ready. the birds will only notice movement so by sitting still you will have just as much as luck as if you had a roof on IMO.

I also have to agree with cranfield, don't just set up your hide and decoys where their is cover as the bird might not be feeding in that area or the flightline might not be close enough to that point to pull the birds in. you should really find the flightline and where the birds want to eat and set up there, as u will have a much better day, and the last thing u want to do is sit in your hide watching all the birds cross the field 100yrds away, have done this a few times before for the same reason as above.

good luck. hope this helps.

best regards

charlie

Your hide needs to be no bigger than neccesary to fit you and all your gear in. I use 4-5 hide poles and ex military netting, As mentioned if possible make sure you have a background behind you and you are not silhoutted. I dont use a roof on my hides as it is too restrictive and have never had a problem.

First they were given the vote.....

Then they were allowed on the roads and then more were seen on bikes......

NOW they are following us in the fields......

I ask you wheres all this leading to......?? :(

:rolleyes: D2D

Head is WELL below the parapet :lol::lol::mad:

Only joking, good for the sport, very welcome and the more the merrier B)

Lots of people mentioning "standing up to shoot" - much less movement and smoother shooting if you can shoot from the sitting position. The birds will often only see you when you move, so by the time you've stood up, mounted you gun, pulled onto the bird etc it can be well on its way (especially by the time you're onto the second of a pair :rolleyes: ). Shooting sitting means you can often have had your first shoot before the birds even know you're there.

5 poles for me and a roof - I find I get more birds coming in (as I'm better hidden) than I miss with a restricted swing above my head. Shoot 'em early out the front and it removes the issue :( B)

MOD camo nets are cheap, but you'll prob need to buy bigger than you need and move some of the camo bits around to thicken it up a bit as they can be a bit on the sparse side. And they weigh a ton when they get wet. I used an MOD net for years but now I've got a camoreal net from pinewood and really rate it. Prob twice the price of an MOD net (think it was about £50) but has lasted me well so far and looks like it's got many years use still yet.

The hide kindly pointed to by henryd was actually built by Catamong who I was shooting with. He prefers to shoot standing up which I don't normally do but have done to great success with another PW'er kirkhotbarrels.

Its very interesting to see what other people do compared to what you normally do. That hide was a lot more to do with local knowledge, use of terrain and natural features than any miracle of construction. It was in a perfect place with an ideal backdrop, not too covered from the back so you could shoot 300 degrees around it. Poles at about chest height with an MOD net and then a Ghost stealth net (site sponsor sells them) over the front.

The Ghost nets really are excellent, light as a feather and don't get heavy when wet. They are pricey though and in direct sunlight you will need something behind them as you can see silhouettes moving behind.

Size depends on how much you move around and if you are sitting, sharing with someone or a dog etc. Make it big enough that you can load comfortably but not so big that you are miles from the net (if sitting) as you won't see a thing. Most important tip is mr pigeon is not the cleverest of birds and you only need to do enough, I think some people go way over the top when building a hide. I don't see a roof as being required, gets in the way but largely depends on where you are.

Best thing to do, if you can hit 40/50% clays is get out there and try it! You will soon see what works and what doesn't. If they spook off when they were coming close, change something. One thing at a time until you work out what it is they don't like. Pick up any birds that are upside down in the pattern.

Enjoy!

I ask you wheres all this leading to......?? :(

Head is WELL below the parapet :lol::blush::mad:

Only joking, good for the sport, very welcome and the more the merrier B)

Yup, female AND a better shot than a lot of men i know (includng my other half) - :lol:

Seriously though, thanks for the input guys, think i just need to get out there and try it

I ask you wheres all this leading to......?? B)

Head is WELL below the parapet :blush::lol::lol:

Only joking, good for the sport, very welcome and the more the merrier :mad:

Yup, female AND a better shot than a lot of men i know (includng my other half) - :lol:

Seriously though, thanks for the input guys, think i just need to get out there and try it

Mrs D2D who bless her thought she would have a go, SO when we were at a game fair a few years ago I said have a go with that pointing to a stand firing at single clays, she took up her position and mounted, pulled..... it knocked her back a foot or two but when the smoke cleared she still had a big grin on her face cos she had done it...... told her later it was an 8 bore, tee hee. :P

:( D2D

• 3 weeks later...

I use a combination of a Bushwear pop up hide with a built in seat - which gives cover from above and behind - and then four telescopic poles with ex-military camo netting strung across them in a crescent shape. Not too heavy to carry for a few hundred yards, gives cover and shelter from rain but you can leave space between the seat and the hide so you are not cramped by the pop up hide's size.

As one of the guys above said, it's not just the hide, it's keeping very still until your decoys draw the birds in close enough for a sure shot. And clothing that helps break up your outline helps.

My wife was as good, if not better, at clay shooting than me until she broke her shoulder in a fall and has not now shot for five months (has a nice light Beretta 12g game gun sitting in the gun safe).

Good luck.

I ask you wheres all this leading to......?? :good:

:good: D2D

Head is WELL below the parapet :o :D:yes:

Only joking, good for the sport, very welcome and the more the merrier :oops:

More to the point...what on earth's she doing out of the kitchen :)

and yes.....i mean pigeon hides :rolleyes:

Got my decoys and ideas of how to set them, now need a hide but not sure what size and whether net is the best idea. This will be my first hide an i know practice makes perfect but would like to make one which works well.

I'm only 5ft so doesnt need to be too tall, but does it need a roof ?

Do i use 4 poles and a net, camo tarpaulin or pop up hide?

If net, what type is best to use and who knows a good deal for cheap hide netting

Silly questions from the new girl

Small as is comfortable for you to move in. Net is good, branches are best and cheapest (dont wreck good timber or the hedge). I don’t have a roof because it restricts vision and gun movement. If you keep still they don’t seem to notice you. Don’t build a fortress because it might be in the wrong place on the day

Unless you can drive a vehicle up to the chosen spot take as little stuff as possible. I operate light. Plastic drum to sit on, which holds the decoys and net + 3 forked sticks to hold up the net. The one in the front is shorter thus making a kind of open vee shape. I use 2 nets about 6 feet long. It's not much fun dragging a ton of kit across a field when it goes all wrong and you've got to get it all back out at the end of the day. It’s good when it all works out ok.