UK made PPE not being taken by NHS

Dave-G

14 hours ago, Scully said:

You really do have a downer on the youth of today don’t you? Why? 

Indeed, it must have been very boring being a policeman back in those halcyon heartbeat days when no one broke the law and everyone under 25 paused their hard manual work in the fields to touch their forelock to you.

I for one find the constant "everyone was better in my day" narrative extremely irritating... 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

85% of care homes in this country are privately run. They charge anything from £700 to £2,000 a week and yet the media would have us think that its the Governments fault the homes haven't got PPE.

British companies are saying they have PPE, why don't the homes buy it? I went on line and bought masks and gloves for my family. Apart from the fact they were clearly overpriced there was no problem and no shortage.

3 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

85% of care homes in this country are privately run. They charge anything from £700 to £2,000 a week and yet the media would have us think that its the Governments fault the homes haven't got PPE.

Someone said last week that their normal supplies had been diverted to the NHS and they were waiting for more, but your absolutely right, for the money they charge they shouldn't be having problems,  and I doubt they need the spec that the NHS need.

36 minutes ago, MirokuMK70 said:

Indeed, it must have been very boring being a policeman back in those halcyon heartbeat days when no one broke the law and everyone under 25 paused their hard manual work in the fields to touch their forelock to you.

I for one find the constant "everyone was better in my day" narrative extremely irritating... 

I think things were better back in my day

14 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Not only 'youth'  and I don't have a 'downer'. From what is reported today, the applicants imediatley backed off because they had to conform to rules.

112 out of 36 000 applications says it all in my book. 

I am one who backed out. Fruit farm near me was part of the scheme so applied there as I am currently on furlough. (employer happy with this by the way) 

There were two issues. 

1) they were after a 5 month minimum contract. I am likely to be back at work in 4-6 weeks. 

2) they (not unreasonably) required a weeks notice of termination - my main employer retain the right to call me back with 24 hour notice (again, not unreasonable) . 

So while it's technically the case I backed out because I 'couldn't follow the rules' the term 'contractual conflict' would be a far more accurate description. 

From what I have read that is likely to be the case with lots of furloughed employees who applied. 

2 minutes ago, Lord v said:

I am one who backed out. Fruit farm near me was part of the scheme so applied there as I am currently on furlough. (employer happy with this by the way) 

There were two issues. 

1) they were after a 5 month minimum contract. I am likely to be back at work in 4-6 weeks. 

2) they (not unreasonably) required a weeks notice of termination - my main employer retain the right to call me back with 24 hour notice (again, not unreasonable) . 

So while it's technically the case I backed out because I 'couldn't follow the rules' the term 'contractual conflict' would be a far more accurate description. 

From what I have read that is likely to be the case with lots of furloughed employees who applied. 

hello, well done for at least trying to help the fruit farm, :good:

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, well done for at least trying to help the fruit farm, :good:

It was just as much for my sanity as it was any desire to help out. 😆

This is the longest period I haven't worked since I was 15 and to be frank its slowly doing my nut. 

13 minutes ago, Lord v said:

It was just as much for my sanity as it was any desire to help out. 😆

This is the longest period I haven't worked since I was 15 and to be frank its slowly doing my nut. 

Imagine if you could go out the garden though, but keep your distance from folk, then it would be different. 

15 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Imagine if you could go out the garden though, but keep your distance from folk, then it would be different. 

Very true. That would be more tolerable. 

I have a lot to do in the garden, but the jobs I have left would generate a lot of waste and now the tips are closed I am a bit stuck. 

24 minutes ago, Lord v said:

Very true. That would be more tolerable. 

I have a lot to do in the garden, but the jobs I have left would generate a lot of waste and now the tips are closed I am a bit stuck. 

We've got a good few bags of garden waste shoved out of the way, you need an out of the way area.

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, just watched bbc 2 news, seems quite a few uk companies making or selling PPE contacted the government including matt hancock directly to help the NHS but this was never taken up, that i find APPALLING !!!!!!

It was on the news last night, saying the government had had absolutely loads of offers of ppe, and were in contact with 150 ish who could deliver big numbers. 

I know BAE at Samlesbury have made 120,000 plus face shields and have been sending them around the area.

There were also a few companies on saying they had begun making things but heard nothing back, they could sell them to care homes, some are selling them abroad  

Part of the problem is the spec, if someone uses PPE which is not up to standard and gets ill they will then look to sue someone,  there could be thousands effected.

10 minutes ago, Mice! said:

It was on the news last night, saying the government had had absolutely loads of offers of ppe, and were in contact with 150 ish who could deliver big numbers. 

I know BAE at Samlesbury have made 120,000 plus face shields and have been sending them around the area.

There were also a few companies on saying they had begun making things but heard nothing back, they could sell them to care homes, some are selling them abroad  

Part of the problem is the spec, if someone uses PPE which is not up to standard and gets ill they will then look to sue someone,  there could be thousands effected.

hello, maybe face masks but cannot see it required in head masks and gowns, these companies offered with enough time to get approval so leave our NHS hospital low on PPE then decide to buy abroad, how many face masks/ head masks/gowns are being made by UK citizens like mel and lin, MAD 1 and Conner still going to hospitals and care workers etc and not approved is it better to have some type of PPE than empty shelves in their stores

2 hours ago, The Heron said:

My grandson and his girlfriend are delivering medication to the people of Sheffield all day and every day and have done so since they were able to volunteer, so not all young people are rubbish 

And there will be many more like those two good people, out there doing their part. And some of them older people too, and as recent news some of them loosing their lives due to/ While working.

There are some good people out there genuinely trying to get us through this day by day.

The nay sayers and conspiracy/ media feeders , on the other hand do continue to pick holes in efforts the government and good people are doing. I don’t think the press have been any use whatsoever in this pandemic, in fact i think they have been a glaringly obvious negative aspect of the worlds fight against this virus.

The social media can be excused as its the public  like you and me behind a keyboard,  and although we have responsibilities and should act accordingly. but the press they are or are supposed to be Professionals. They really need to try harder. 

9 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

The social media can be excused as its the public  like you and me behind a keyboard,  and although we have responsibilities and should act accordingly. but the press they are or are supposed to be Professionals. They really need to try harder. 

It's still politics and point scoring though, that's the problem. 

36 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, maybe face masks but cannot see it required in head masks and gowns, these companies offered with enough time to get approval so leave our NHS hospital low on PPE then decide to buy abroad, how many face masks/ head masks/gowns are being made by UK citizens like mel and lin, MAD 1 and Conner still going to hospitals and care workers etc and not approved is it better to have some type of PPE than empty shelves in their stores

I agree it's better to have something than nothing, and it's great that people are making things for others but The controlling bodies unions etc would go mental if NHS staff were using under par equipment,  same as they will if staff run out.

7 minutes ago, Mice! said:

It's still politics and point scoring though, that's the problem. 

Perhaps its too much to ask for, but it might be a good time for the press to put aside its stance politically and work for the greater good. No one wants a controlled press but winding their neck in and getting their sums right once in a wile might be a way to helping all including their own popularity.

3 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Perhaps its too much to ask for, but it might be a good time for the press to put aside its stance politically and work for the greater good. No one wants a controlled press but winding their neck in and getting their sums right once in a wile might be a way to helping all including their own popularity.

Post of the week, I am getting almost to the stage where I will never read or watch news again.

6 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

It would be nice wouldn't it,  someone else mentioned watching the daily brief then switching off as the journalists all ask the same questions, that's what I'm now doing. 

The local news ( north west for me) have been much better showing anything that is likely to raise spirits.

Just now, Mice! said:

It would be nice wouldn't it,  someone else mentioned watching the daily brief then switching off as the journalists all ask the same questions, that's what I'm now doing. 

The local news ( north west for me) have been much better showing anything that is likely to raise spirits.

Yes me too, have been doing just the brief for a while now.

3 hours ago, Lord v said:

There were two issues. 

I don't believe you are in the same class as others I have read about.  One deferred because they could not park their camper van on site.  I believe you where between a rock and a hard place and had no choice.