The American way

The Heron

What is the population of the USA and what in percentages does that give in comparison to the UK ?

There are some States with a very low incidents of the virus due to the very thin population, so I can understand that they might be able to ease things a bit but still take precautions.

I read that the USA had over 80,000 deaths from normal flu last year.

Edited by Walker570

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

What is the population of the USA and what in percentages does that give in comparison to the UK ?

There are some States with a very low incidents of the virus due to the very thin population, so I can understand that they might be able to ease things a bit but still take precautions.

We have 28 deaths per 100,000 the USA have 17 deaths per 100,000.

Other countries death rates per 100,000 Belgium is 57 , Italy and Spain are 40+ , France is 33 and Germany is 7.

1 minute ago, toontastic said:

Other countries death rates per 100,000 Belgium is 57 , Italy and Spain are 40+ , France is 33 and Germany is 7.

Thanks for that info. So the Yanks are not doing too badly compared with everyone else. 

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Not sure at all but guess similar. I think it will go through any country roughly the same, i don’t think governments policies are huge game changers.

I think a nations integrity to follow guidelines is way more impact on death rate than when they shut schools shops or borders.

The USA are not following social distancing, rioting want to go back to work etc, they are . THE WILD WEST.

I think our modern USA / UK culture has reflected in our death rate here, we will never know this. But if this had happened say 70 years ago, medicine aside. i think the lock down would have been better completed and in a more responsible way then than now. But that’s just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Thanks for that info. So the Yanks are not doing too badly compared with everyone else. 

The thing is though every country has its own criteria for reporting death as covid related. Germany for example only class it as covid related if there are no other underlying issues. So death in one country could be put down as covid, where as somebody with the same medical history and also testing positive for covid in another country could be put down as something else.

9 minutes ago, toontastic said:

Worldometer states it slightly differently from your figures.  Transposed into your units of measurement of "per 100k" and therefore subject to being slightly rounded off:

Belgium 63
Spain 51
Italy 45
France 36
UK 32
USA 18

USA's death curve is well on the downward slope.  New cases flattened off and visibly decreasing.

Who's got their approach right?  Time will tell...

That is more or else my view on the figures, because quite a few reports say other underlying conditions and certainly in care homes, the folks there are there because of underlying conditions, so you would expect it to have a greater impact there. I am not in any way saying the virus is not dangerous as Boris will confirm, but I think if you are already not healthy then catching it is going to make the situation much worse.  Doubt if we would ever be told or even if it was possible but it would be interesting to have a figure for each category.

1 minute ago, Jim Neal said:

Worldometer states it slightly differently from your figures.  Transposed into your units of measurement of "per 100k" and therefore subject to being slightly rounded off:

Belgium 63
Spain 51
Italy 45
France 36
UK 32
USA 18

USA's death curve is well on the downward slope.  New cases flattened off and visibly decreasing.

Well looking at those figures seems the USA folowed by the UK got it right. But how it pans out. No idea, I am surprised at those numbers i must admit.

1 minute ago, Jim Neal said:

Belgium 63
Spain 51
Italy 45
France 36
UK 32
USA 18

I had looked at a few sets of figures and they all appeared to have slight differences. But they all showed Belgium at the top

8 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Now your asking. It was either on the MSN News or in the Telegraph this morning. Definitely reported, I am not making it up. BUT with the enormous amount of fake news being thrown around these days regarding the virus, by all means make enquiries and see what comes up.

I found this the big difference is that there is a vaccine for the flu that helps keep it under control, but not for CV. 

CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season. This burden was similar to estimated burden during the 2012–2013 influenza season1.

According to the BBC news this morning the coronavirus has killed more people in America in a few months than those that died in twenty years in Vietnam which ever way you look at the figures or play percentages that is a huge amount of deaths over and above what would be normal. 

13 hours ago, toontastic said:

I had looked at a few sets of figures and they all appeared to have slight differences. But they all showed Belgium at the top

And yet I've not heard Belgium mentioned  on the news? Spain and Italy yes, but never a thing about Belgium. 

10 minutes ago, toontastic said:

Because they've only had a few thousand deaths 

That'll be why then.

I've just had a look at the published figures, there are certainly some strange one, I just don't think some places must be testing or reporting the deaths.

43 minutes ago, Mice! said:

And yet I've not heard Belgium mentioned  on the news? Spain and Italy yes, but never a thing about Belgium. 

Belgium has the highest rate of CV-19 death per head of population in the whole world. 642 deaths per million of population.

Spain 509

Italy 452

France 353

UK 326 

30 minutes ago, Mice! said:

That'll be why then.

I've just had a look at the published figures, there are certainly some strange one, I just don't think some places must be testing or reporting the deaths.

It's why just looking at the amount of deaths is a bit misleading

Apparently Spain and Italy only partially report deaths outside hospitals (it is up to local regions to decide whether to or not), France does, Germany counts deaths in care homes but only if people have tested positive for the virus. Belgium, on the other hand, includes any death in which a doctor suspects coronavirus was involved.

it’s not even Apples and Oranges. It’s Apples and cheese.