Plaster prices !!

rec-baller

I've been furloughed for the past 6 weeks and have just gone back today. I'm a manager for a builders merchants and have had phone calls from plasteres about the availability of plaster at work , we've sold out and there is now a shortage across the U.K ,,but what we charge for multi finish plaster.       £ 7.66 a bag has been turned into serious profiteering, just been on evil bay and seen the prices!! Anything up to £55 a bag !!!

I managed to get 10 bags on Monday from my local merchants that only reopened then at normal money  .Another local  merchant was selling boar finish at £16 +vat as he had limited supply. They recon no more until June or when ever British Gypsum  reopens???? Dont even think about plaster boards either ??🙁

British Gypsum were due to restart production two days ago- will take many months to catch up.

Boards in 2.4m are in short supply but 1.2’s are avail in some places I’ve been too

I was after plaster as per my earlier posting- was very fortunate to obtain a load.

It was short dated but that didn’t matter to me, was asked to take all that they had.

Sold some spare bags at the not extortionate amount of £15- knew I could have asked a lot more, but it just didn’t sit well with me.

Not just plaster . I'm busy in garden (like most of the country) and just bought a ton of sharp sand last one I got a few weeks before lockdown was £36 the ton I got last week £65 . And cement I paid £4 a bag so that's ok still but while looking around gumtree there's a guy selling the exact same bags for £10 a bag second hand ....... I hope they go off on him !!!

• 4 weeks later...

These blackmarketeers are extrotionists. They would have been hung during the war.  Plastering and secondly bricklaying are the two hardest phisical and skilled jobs in the building industry. These tow rags prifiteering from these two very hard working trades are the worst despicable types of cretin in this country.  Exploitation should not be happening and it is illegal in the circumstances.

Some selleras have the audacity to advertise out of date plaster that may well set in the bucket while it is being mixed. Most of these idiots want cash and do not ask for Paypal payment.  In my young days they would have got a good hiding for their cheek.