Cummings in the soup?

Retsdon

20 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

He drove his child to a grandparents house whilst he was sick.

To be fair, I think he was OK at that stage, but his wife was ill and he fully expected (rightly so) to fall ill with the same thing within a very short period.  I don't think he was ill at the time he drove there, but he may have been infectious and certainly 'had been in contact' with a suspected or confirmed case.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The NON story of the month, people just will NOT LET IT GO!

This.

In the grand scheme of things it’s nothing but an irrelevant distraction. It’s just so unimportant it hurts.

I really must be missing something because what DC did or didn’t do I actually couldn’t care any less about.

As our economy burns, the scientific data falls apart and we begin to realise this really is just nasty flu, whilst people refuse to go back to work and I’m looking at FT reports of a pensions just evaporating and the government having to take stakes in vital industries to prop them up we’re all focused on whether one chap jumped in his motor to dump his kids off on relatives before going down with nasty flu.

Any of you lot getting lathered up and drawn in this media fuelled nonsense about nothing, you want to spend more time on wondering about making ends meet in the months to come.

13 minutes ago, Scully said:

has it been established that he broke the law?

No

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

Did the police charge him or fine him?

No

14 minutes ago, Scully said:

And has it been established that he lied

Alleged and implied, not established with any confidence, though his wife did 'clearly imply' that they were isolating in London - when in fact they were isolating in Durham.

17 minutes ago, Scully said:

open links which require cookie assent.

Almost all do now - hard to avoid.  I believe we have the EU to thank for that, but that is another topic.

4 minutes ago, Mungler said:

This.

In the grand scheme of things it’s nothing but an irrelevant distraction. It’s just so unimportant it hurts.

I really must be missing something because what DC did or didn’t do I actually couldn’t care any less about.

As our economy burns, the scientific data falls apart and we begin to realise this really is just nasty flu, whilst people refuse to go back to work and I’m looking at FT reports of a pensions just evaporating and the government having to take stakes in vital industries to prop them up we’re all focused on whether one chap jumped in his motor to dump his kids off on relatives before going down with nasty flu.

Any of you lot getting lathered up and drawn in this media fuelled nonsense about nothing, you want to spend more time on wondering about making ends meet in the months to come.

There has to be another story in the background that a real journalist might find, but where have all the real journalists gone?

11 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

There has to be another story in the background that a real journalist might find, but where have all the real journalists gone?

Indeed, where has all the other news gone?

The history books are going to write this up along side fiddling whilst Rome burned.

24 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

If the headlines of that are anything to go by, I’ll keep my fingers crossed. 🙂
The less interference the church has in people’s lives the better, as far as I’m concerned. 

3 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I saw Cummings last night in my neighbour's front room across the street. In Leicestershire. I saw him at 6 pm, 8pm and 10pm. Itb definitely was him. But I think it may have been because he was on her television set, through her front window, as she was watching Sky News?

Are you a peeping Tom?:w00t:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2020/05/24/boris-johnson-threatens-undermine-entire-covid-strategy-backing/

When the Telegraph, the Mail, and the Church of England are all agreed that a Tory prime minister is wrong then he's got an uphill battle on his hands. And much as some might want it to, this story isn't going away because it's now no longer about whether Cummings did or didn't break some law or other. It's now about Johnson's judgement and authority. And that story is forever and endlessly under scrutiny for any prime minister of any party. It runs and runs.

To be honest, Johnson's in a no win situation. If he sacks Cummings, he'll be accused of giving way to the mob. If he doesn't sack him, he'll be accused of being in thrall to a political Rasputin. His only get- out card is for Cummings himself to resign and perhaps that's what he'll do when he speaks later today which apparently he's scheduled to do. 

In any case, it all makes for excellent theatre!

Boris has, in one fell swoop, destroyed all the goodwill that his party enjoyed at the last general election. He has also destroyed any semblance of trust that people might have had in his leadership. His defence of Cummings is beyond excuses, and the sooner he realises that the better.

It's just as well there's no chance of another election, because Boris would become the EX prime minister if there was. I have been a lifelong Tory, but I'm disgusted with the PM at this present point in time.

2 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2020/05/24/boris-johnson-threatens-undermine-entire-covid-strategy-backing/

When the Telegraph, the Mail, and the Church of England are all agreed that a Tory prime minister is wrong then he's got an uphill battle on his hands. And much as some might want it to, this story isn't going away because it's now no longer about whether Cummings did or didn't break some law or other. It's now about Johnson's judgement and authority. And that story is forever and endlessly under scrutiny for any prime minister of any party. It runs and runs.

To be honest, Johnson's in a no win situation. If he sacks Cummings, he'll be accused of giving way to the mob. If he doesn't sack him, he'll be accused of being in thrall to a political Rasputin. His only get- out card is for Cummings himself to resign and perhaps that's what he'll do when he speaks later today which apparently he's scheduled to do. 

In any case, it all makes for excellent theatre!

It is indeed, and I suspect it has much more to do with Brexit than the virus. 🧐

3 minutes ago, Cheshirelad said:

Boris has, in one fell swoop, destroyed all the goodwill that his party enjoyed at the last general election. He has also destroyed any semblance of trust that people might have had in his leadership. His defence of Cummings is beyond excuses, and the sooner he realises that the better.

It's just as well there's no chance of another election, because Boris would become the EX prime minister if there was. I have been a lifelong Tory, but I'm disgusted with the PM at this present point in time.

Sorry but I disagree, I personally feel that Boris has backed up his good leadership and re-inforced all those old labour supporters that changed camp at the last General Election!

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Sorry but I disagree, I personally feel that Boris has backed up his good leadership and re-inforced all those old labour supporters that changed camp at the last General Election!

Boris has done very well up until this point, but I believe he has made a huge mistake over his support of Cummings. At least he has 5 years to recover from it.

Just now, Cheshirelad said:

Boris has done very well up until this point, but I believe he has made a huge mistake over his support of Cummings. At least he has 5 years to recover from it.

We will see if it really does cause him any grief, but all the time people like Retsdon keep harping on about it, that dilutes it in peoples minds and it will slowly just run out of steam!

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Are you really only happy when moaning?:lol:

I'm not moaning. I think it's all great fun. When Johnson stood in front of the world and said with a straight face that Cummings, in driving 270 miles across the country while he and his wife were infected had acted with 'the overwhelming intent of stopping the virus and saving lives', it was comedy gold. Funny as anything!

11 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

this story isn't going away because it's now no longer about whether Cummings did or didn't break some law or other.

It never was.

12 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

It's now about Johnson's judgement and authority.

Indeed , Boris was/is always hated by some factions, the fact he bought another tory government to power , embarrassed labour and the lib dems, delivered a Brexit WA , and the fact he has blonde wavy hair, really sticks in some peoples craw.
Cummings is a BJ asset, and removing him by hook or crook is a way of weakening Boris, the whole saga is about nothing else.

The fact that during a time of supposed crisis, the baying lefty media, and elements of the anti Brexit/tory talking heads , have time and inclination to attack like this, just goes to show we are returning to 'normal' 
The press have been made to look like rabid dogs over this, and their intention is very clear, to some.

11 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

:good:

16 minutes ago, Scully said:

It is indeed, and I suspect it has much more to do with Brexit than the virus. 🧐

:good:

2 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I'm not moaning. I think it's all great fun. When Johnson stood in front of the world and said with a straight face that Cummings, in driving 270 miles across the country while he and his wife were infected had acted with 'the overwhelming intent of stopping the virus and saving lives', it was comedy gold. Funny as anything!

Come on admit it, you are ONLY happy when you can deride someone, it is a massive NON story!

20 minutes ago, Cheshirelad said:

Really? That is melodramatic bed wetting nonsense of the highest.

We’re all okay then with economic suicide based on the wrong expert evidence (etc) but some bloke driving to Durham is ‘the limit’.

The world has officially gone quite mad. 

Edited by Mungler

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I thought hed just copied and pasted the first part from Owen Jones column :lol:

I give up on this. My acme moron-o-meter has broken its needle.

Rolls Royce axe 20,000 jobs and effectively kill the whole of Derby and yet we’re losing our **** because Cummings got in his motor and Strictly is looking like being cancelled.