Cummings in the soup?

Retsdon

On 23/05/2020 at 17:08, Scully said:

Apart from the OH’s parents, I don’t know of anyone who hasn’t interpreted them in their own way, or just simply ignored them. 
Seriously. I’m struggling to think of anyone. 
Two days after Boris announced the lockdown I was asked by a client if I was still ‘coming to do his hallway and stairs’. I did. His wife was working from home ( something to do with social welfare ) but every Friday she travelled down to Sheffield to care for her 80 odd year old Mam who was already being visited by carers three times a day! 

I worked in a charity housing association for two weeks also, where the residents sat about in the sun behind the walled facade, drinking tea and chatting all day. Two resident sisters packed their bags and went off somewhere for a week to visit their elderly mother, following a bank holiday. 
Families have been having BBQ’s at each other’s homes when the weather was suitable, and life in general has gone in much as before. 
One of the villagers acquired a pony for a trap....I have no idea how the pony got here, but I doubt it just wandered by. 
Another has re slated his roof with the help of a mate from another village. 
I myself have continued working throughout; the only difficulty I have had was acquiring suitable materials.
People have to apply common sense to any given situation, it’s all we can do. 

All wrong according to the guidelines but are you happy to have everyone else use their own common sense?

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

How did anyone get endangered ?

If nobody got endangered when travelling , and it's OK for him to travel hundreds of miles , why has most of the country been locked down for nearly two months ?.

6 minutes ago, Scully said:

This. I was told I shouldn’t drive to Wolverhampton to collect my daughter when uni’ closed, shortly after the lockdown was introduced, but I did. 

But you weren't telling tens of millions of other people that they had to stay at home.

This afternoon was the biggest political disgrace I have ever seen. Johnson was a disaster in the press conference, the Coronavirus he suffered from must still be causing impairment of mental faculty. People who I know who have had it bad feel ‘foggy’ weeks later. I am prepared to cut Johnson some slack, but what on earth are the cabinet and the wider circle of advisers doing? They should be wise counsel, helping him make the unfortunate but unavoidable decision. 

There can be no second lockdown now. No one will pay one jot to it. Why has my business been pushed to the wall if it was all for nothing? 

5 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

If nobody got endangered when travelling , and it's OK for him to travel hundreds of miles , why has most of the country been locked down for nearly two months ?.

And why did one of my best pals wife get cremated, after losing an 18 month fight with bowel cancer,  without him or his daughter present because they couldn’t bear to go through the ceremony socially distanced. They all lived in the same house.

29 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

How did anyone get endangered ?

Because he drove half the length of the country during lockdown, and whilst his household should have been in isolation due to their evident Coronavirus infection. Every stop they made will have exposed people to danger. Every interaction with any other person whilst he was out of his London house where he was when the infection arose. Johnson wouldn’t answer any questions, it is clear this has miles to run. It is precisely DC’s brand of self-centred, narcissism that got us in this mess. “To hell for everyone else, I will do what suits me”. That is how the virus spreads.

I genuinely cannot believe people are attempting to defend the man. Even if he his the best player on your team, unless you are a fanatic you have to own up when they do wrong. I am generally anti-Labour but they look like they would be making a much better fist of this dog’s dinner, ok that is probably a stretch. All the parties are a mess, but DC’s mess is self made. What am utter coward and shyster for him to not admit that he was wrong, he made a mistake. We all make mistakes, it is how you atone for it that makes the man. 

3 hours ago, panoma1 said:

In today’s televised Coronavirus briefing, a reporter (Ian Watson) asking questions (presumably from the BBC newsroom) had problems with the audio....he was helped at least twice by a technician, to get his sound on!........the technician was leaning over him!. ....so much for social distancing.....oh! I forgot, it doesn’t apply to the press!

But they gleefully put the knife in to others, especially those of the wrong political colour and/or those they don’t like!

How do you know that they are not from the same household?

How presumptive of you? Or are you putting the knife in to those whom you don't like?

🐓

2 minutes ago, henry d said:

How presumptive of you? Or are you putting the knife in to those whom you don't like?

🐓

You know as well as everybody here, they wont be from the same household.

6 minutes ago, henry d said:

🐓

They are very unlikely to from the same household, it is bizarre to cloud the issue by suggesting they were unless it was a joke. But I am in a foul mood and much past laughing tonight. Nonetheless, with regards to those two journalists:

1. We assume neither are in a household with an active Coronavirus infection, so it is not relevant to the DC case. 

2. Neither is responsible for setting national policy, so it is not relevant to the DC case. 

3. Two wrongs do not make a right, I am pretty sure I was taught this whilst fairly young. I don’t care what the BBC man did, it is not relevant to the DC case. 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

BJ is out on a limb. 🙂 Other parties have done the right thing but the Tories are happy to put up two fingers. mmmmmmmmmm Waiting for the party to step forward :lol: 

One rule for us one rule for the rest. 

Did Kinkock jnr get sacked for travelling 150 miles to visit his father? I must have missed that if he did. 

Just now, WalkedUp said:

He should have. That was very poor judgement too. 

I wasn’t specifically addressing it you but I don’t think he should. He made a judgement call that it was essential travel and only he can make that judgement. Not you or I and considering that the police took no action I assume they were happy too. 

3 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

He should have. That was very poor judgement too. 

1 minute ago, AVB said:

I wasn’t specifically addressing it you but I don’t think he should. He made a judgement call that it was essential travel and only he can make that judgement. Not you or I and considering that the police took no action I assume they were happy too. 

Yep your right Cummings, Johnson, Jenrick and Kinnock in the same boat. Shameless. 

I know, I was very angry about it at the time. I thought he should have lost the whip. Weak of Starmer not to reprimand him, complete nepotism and elitism. Not what Labour try to put on their tin. 

How is that eegit Sturgeon the only one who can rule? 😔 She’s the worst of the bunch but at least she has authority and leadership. 

Gingercat posted this on another thread.  It is the legislation that  covers the Covid restrictions on movement.  

Restrictions on movement

6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.

(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse includes the need—

(a)to obtain basic necessities, including food and medical supplies for those in the same household (including any pets or animals in the household) or for vulnerable persons and supplies for the essential upkeep, maintenance and functioning of the household, or the household of a vulnerable person, or to obtain money, including from any business listed in Part 3 of Schedule 2;

(b)to take exercise either alone or with other members of their household;

(c)to seek medical assistance, including to access any of the services referred to in paragraph 37 or 38 of Schedule 2;

(d)to provide care or assistance, including relevant personal care within the meaning of paragraph 7(3B) of Schedule 4 to the Safeguarding of Vulnerable Groups Act 2006(1), to a vulnerable person, or to provide emergency assistance;

(e)to donate blood;

(f)to travel for the purposes of work or to provide voluntary or charitable services, where it is not reasonably possible for that person to work, or to provide those services, from the place where they are living;

(g)to attend a funeral of—

(i)a member of the person’s household,

(ii)a close family member, or

(iii)if no-one within sub-paragraphs (i) or (ii) are attending, a friend;

(h)to fulfil a legal obligation, including attending court or satisfying bail conditions, or to participate in legal proceedings;

(i)to access critical public services, including—

(i)childcare or educational facilities (where these are still available to a child in relation to whom that person is the parent, or has parental responsibility for, or care of the child);

(ii)social services;

(iii)services provided by the Department of Work and Pensions;

(iv)services provided to victims (such as victims of crime);

(j)in relation to children who do not live in the same household as their parents, or one of their parents, to continue existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children, and for the purposes of this paragraph, “parent” includes a person who is not a parent of the child, but who has parental responsibility for, or who has care of, the child;

(k)in the case of a minister of religion or worship leader, to go to their place of worship;

(l)to move house where reasonably necessary;

(m)to avoid injury or illness or to escape a risk of harm.

(3) For the purposes of paragraph (1), the place where a person is living includes the premises where they live together with any garden, yard, passage, stair, garage, outhouse or other appurtenance of such premises.

(4) Paragraph (1) does not apply to any person who is homeless.

Cummings’ defence is covered under point 2 (d). That his child is a vulnerable person (due to his wife’s illness and himself likely to be ill) and he was moving him to a place where he would be looked after (by his sister) 

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

Yep your right Cummings, Johnson, Jenrick and Kinnock in the same boat. Shameless. 

So that’s twice tonight you’ve been wrong. Claiming that other parties have done the right thing when you then admit that they haven’t. You are slipping. 

Cummings has bent the rules, in my book, just like Stephen Kinnock and thousands of others, who crowd the beaches and beauty spots. The difference is that he has Johnson's ear and feared by many. 

I am not defending Cummings, but this is still a witch hunt, which he has survived so far. He hasn't cosied up to terrorists, evaded a speeding ticket, made racist remarks, isn't anti-semitic or falsely claimed expenses. The crisis would be far safer in Labour's squeaky clean hands.