TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

Cant be that otherwise Luton and Slough would be in there. 

Luton actually has a relatively low Asian population compared to Leicester (29% vs 37%) but I’ll concede on slough at 43%

not sure on absolute numbers. 

Edited by AVB

Apparently a fishing family of 45 from Daman India living in one three bedroom house have tested positive in the barricaded part of a road near where the army has set up a temporary testing area in a recreation park.

Edited by Dave-G
Added 'apparently' in case it turns out to be tosh...

7 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Umpteen Asians flee a scare of second wave virus in India to visit relatives get free medical care in Asian hotspots around the UK but Leicester is among the largest Asian area?

There's no free medical care unless you are a resident. If I get sick in the UK next week my health insurance will be getting the bill. I had a friend a few years ago who was visiting his son in the UK and had to fly back to Bahrain to get treatment for a circulatory condition that flared up (he subsequently died). The local hospital basically refused to treat him.

It's a fallacy that anyone can come to the UK and get free treatment. In real life it doesn't work like that. 

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

There's no free medical care unless you are a resident. If I get sick in the UK next week my health insurance will be getting the bill. I had a friend a few years ago who was visiting his son in the UK and had to fly back to Bahrain to get treatment for a circulatory condition that flared up (he subsequently died). The local hospital basically refused to treat him.

It's a fallacy that anyone can come to the UK and get free treatment. In real life it doesn't work like that. 

Your certainly right for the majority of health care. Not sure but I think for Covid the Govt relaxed the rules as they wanted people to get treatment rather than carry on regardless. 

2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

That’s not my experience. It seems all you need to be a ‘resident’ is an address. Doesn’t matter whose address. When I worked abroad and was back in the UK, on the rare occasions I needed to use the NHS I gave my parents address. 

Someone whose job it is to collect covid data in Leicester told me the centre was "religious houses" run by muslims.Wasn't said in a racist way just stating facts.

Told me this 2 weeks ago when the cases first started to spike.

Edited by 39TDS

4 hours ago, AVB said:

That’s not my experience. It seems all you need to be a ‘resident’ is an address. Doesn’t matter whose address. When I worked abroad and was back in the UK, on the rare occasions I needed to use the NHS I gave my parents address. 

Years ago I did too. These days it's not so easy. Last year they wouldn't even renew my driving license, even though I was requesting it be sent to the same address they'd sent the previous one to 10 years earlier. It's all cross referenced on a national database and I came up, for national insurance purposes, down as resident in Saudi. That was enough for the DVLC. No licence. So pretty sure the NHS is the same now. But we'll see. I'm going to walk in and try and register for fun and see what happens. 

25 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Years ago I did too. These days it's not so easy. Last year they wouldn't even renew my driving license, even though I was requesting it be sent to the same address they'd sent the previous one to 10 years earlier. It's all cross referenced on a national database and I came up, for national insurance purposes, down as resident in Saudi. That was enough for the DVLC. No licence. So pretty sure the NHS is the same now. But we'll see. I'm going to walk in and try and register for fun and see what happens. 

You mean they are organised nowadays! That’ll be a first. 

If you turn up at hospital with a temperature and coughing no way are they not going to admit you. Even if they really shouldn't

Last year I took an American man to our local minor injuries clinic after he cut his hand on a kitchen knife. They cleaned him up and dressed it, and they weren't interested in the fact he was American

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

It's all cross referenced on a national database and I came up, for national insurance purposes, down as resident in Saudi

And do you think any of the many NHS tourists that turn up wanting treatment have national insurance details or driving licences??

My guess would be no, but the NHS treats them, we live in such a bad country. 

My (American) FiL had a gall bladder attack on his last visit here. Involved an ambulance (because he couldnt speak to start with and we thought heart attack) plus GP and prescription drugs. 

Everything but the ambulance had to be paid for (drugs at list price as well I believe) and reams of paperwork for the GP including passing over details of his travel insurance. 

I believe anything beyond a patch and stitch emergency care they will charge. 

NHS surcharge has been applicable to non EU immigration. (although you can dodge that by making an asylum claim.) 

That was about 5 years ago. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reading the daily Lancs news updates Blackburn could be heading the same way as Leicester,  they have already placed restrictions on what can be done because of localised spikes in outbreaks. 

The big one that makes no sense is saying only two people can visit another family not the whole family like other areas, two people can spread the virus back to their own family the same as if everyone had gone.

Rochdale and Knowsley were mentioned earlier in the week, with the Manchester and Liverpool Mayor's asking for more help and saying they aren't being told when people are being tested positive.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, the mayor of Leicester seems rather opaque to what's going on in his city, if that's the right word 🤔

He has not got a clue, just glad i live in the county. He does not want to upset the ethnic minority as thats where most of the Labour votes come from. And then you have the Lib dems in oadby & wigston saying its still in lockdown because its not tory run, even though there is a spike of cases there.

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, the mayor of Leicester seems rather opaque to what's going on in his city, if that's the right word 🤔

Does that mean he has got his head in the sand?

Part of Blackburn's problem is being put down to a large south Asian population and small terraced houses with multiple generations living in them, but the percentages dont add up.

20200718_115556.jpg.6704f3e39ac8a162c76256b6f1aa92ad.jpg

And the cases are still going up, another 30 plus yesterday as the testing has been increased. 

1 hour ago, paul1966 said:

He has not got a clue, just glad i live in the county. He does not want to upset the ethnic minority as thats where most of the Labour votes come from. And then you have the Lib dems in oadby & wigston saying its still in lockdown because its not tory run, even though there is a spike of cases there.

Hello, from what I have seen on TV and read reports I think your right on 👍

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Does that mean he has got his head in the sand?

Part of Blackburn's problem is being put down to a large south Asian population and small terraced houses with multiple generations living in them, but the percentages dont add up.

20200718_115556.jpg.6704f3e39ac8a162c76256b6f1aa92ad.jpg

And the cases are still going up, another 30 plus yesterday as the testing has been increased. 

Hello, if you mean the mayor of Leicester then yes 

Blackburn has now exceeded Leicester's per hundred R rate, there overall numbers are still lower, but that's down to population numbers. 

20200720_182718.jpg.fd74f678ae3f8e660fbfb60a7685c14a.jpg

It's still being claimed that the housing is a big issue, with younger people taking the virus home to older relatives,  then there were 250 people attended a funeral at the weekend(13th)  despite all that's going on in the town at the moment,  its crazy given what's happening in the area, we would often go to a country park in Blackburn as it has some great outdoor play stuff in the woods, but not a chance at the moment. 

Then there is the track and trace.

20200720_182642.jpg.8a61175e72015a2a0ffb9f2294c1ff52.jpg

Northwest news have just said Blackburn has a week to get control of the outbreak but its going up every day. I can't understand why the government hasn't just said lock it down as happened with Leicester?

Is this happening in other places with numbers increasing?

A car event has just been shown with hundreds attending near Manchester at the weekend?

Its certainly not over with spikes in cases but it seems like it is in some areas.

24 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Lets not forget the muppets going to football matches, some entitled ****** dancing on car roofs.

At the sports section they mentioned Liverpool being presented with the trophy next week, but are asking people to stay home?? I'm sure everyone will just watch the telly??

There will be thousands out dancing in the streets.

Daughter works in a Leic's care home that's recently had a spate of affected. She tested positive yesterday, says she's had worse symptoms from colds and Flu in the past than this.

Apparently there's supposed to be three variants of it doing the rounds and the latest Leic's one seems tp be the mildest version.

Edited by Dave-G

Just now, Dave-G said:

Daughter works in a Leic's care home that's recently had a spate of affected. She tested positive yesterday, says she's had worse symptoms from colds and Flu in the past than this.

But she can now of course pass it on to someone who will not be so resilient.