Walnut gun stock blank

manton

I want a piece of walnut to make a stock for a 10 bore muzzle loading shotgun. A plain good quality piece of wood would do.I have looked at suppliers such as Rule but the price is more than I am willing to pay .Anyone have any ideas about a timber merchant who may have something suitable.

Look for kitchen fitters and cabinet makers in your local area, a friend of mine does some high end kitchen work and has done some work with walnut. Next time I see him I'm thinking of asking for some off cuts to play with. Might be worth asking them to see if they have an off cut you could have for a few beer tokens.

Thank you all for your information . As I am sure you all are aware there is a huge amount of work involved in restocking a muzzle loading gun . My ideas was to do this on a budget and still have a reasonably authentic stock on possibly a  useable gun. I do not feel this would warrant Turkish walnut  and have found a source of american walnut quite close to home.