Hamburg

AVB

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to Hamburg with my dad years ago to visit his brothers war grave, I liked the place, remember waiting at the train platform with a ticket for coach c, timed to arrive at 11-02 [e.g.] our position was marked on the platform, the train arrived at 11-02 with the door for coach c exactly where we stood...

1 minute ago, islandgun said:

I can imagine that went down well..🤥

I flew into Frankfurt for a meeting a few years ago. When I arrived I was asked whether my flight was OK and who I flew with. Instead of saying Lufthansa I blurted out Luftwaffe. A few shocked faces. 

2 minutes ago, AVB said:

I flew into Frankfurt for a meeting a few years ago. When I arrived I was asked whether my flight was OK and who I flew with. Instead of saying Lufthansa I blurted out Luftwaffe. A few shocked faces. 

😀.... did you click your heels grab your long leather coat and exit left

I flew into Frankfurt from Argentina on economy 1996 and was booked on a first class seat on to Heathrow so looking forward to it I asked where is the f/class lounge? "out of the airport and over the bridge" was the answer from a Lufthansa desk clerk what!! said I, "yes it is to give the wealthy some exercise" was the smarmy reply. That did Lufthansa for me. Never again

On 05/12/2020 at 09:57, islandgun said:

Went to Hamburg with my dad years ago to visit his brothers war grave, I liked the place, remember waiting at the train platform with a ticket for coach c, timed to arrive at 11-02 [e.g.] our position was marked on the platform, the train arrived at 11-02 with the door for coach c exactly where we stood...

and seats that you could pull totally flat!! It was like that in the 80's. When I was in Munich 12 years ago now, the transport infrastructure was great but I once tried a different route to get there - flying into Frankfurt I think it was and getting the ICE - and I do have to say that I found our intercity railway better than that TBH although apparently the trainlines needed upgrading and the ICE couldn't travel at speed - but it was very overcrowded.

I was hoping to do most of the work remotely in the short term but the Germans want me on site which means spending five days on each trip isolating in a hotel before going to the office. That’s assuming planes are still flying after Jan 1!

On 12/12/2020 at 15:32, Harry136 said:

German is a lot easier to learn than French! I failed my GCSE French, but when I was stationed in Gutersloh  for a year, I could nearly speak German fluently.

Eh?!

Whether or not it's easier to learn, there is a vast difference between semi-immersion, and rote-learning at school.

On 05/12/2020 at 22:59, AVB said:

Instead of saying Lufthansa I blurted out Luftwaffe. A few shocked faces. 

A couple of times I was talking in German about interim solutions to a problem, compared to, uh, final solutions.  A quiet word was had with me to suggest perhaps I might like to use a different phrase.  All very polite and not at all with any malice, embarrassment or anger.

On 12/12/2020 at 12:41, AVB said:

I was hoping to do most of the work remotely in the short term but the Germans want me on site which means spending five days on each trip isolating in a hotel before going to the office. That’s assuming planes are still flying after Jan 1!

We have been able to get around this by turning up with a negative test no more than 48hrs old, and a letter from your employer saying the travel is required for buisness purposes.  But that was before they entered lockdown today, and varies according to the State goverment.  If you thought it was Confusing between England, Wales, Scotland and NI, they ain't got nothing on the individual German Bundeslaende.

2 hours ago, AVB said:

Now I have been told that post 1 Jan I need a work visa!  

Yep, this so called ‘reclaim our sovereignty’ malarkey has screwed many of us over and will do the same to our abilities to take the economy forward too.

What’s the French for ‘delays’