Covid deaths and firearms.

Dave-G

I'm sure I'm not the only oldie on here with a lung disease that will quite likely succumb to covid if it comes to us.

I don't have any kids with an FAC that could inherit them but I have a brother in Cornwall with an FAC:

Is there any facility where he can take charge of guns not on his ticket on an unforeseen death basis on behalf of a widow lumbered with the problem or does plod just come and seize them complete with scopes? I'd rather turn them into cash and have to buy again if it passes me by.

Basically I'm wondering if I should start thinning out the cabinet. 

1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

Do you not know a small RFD who could sort it out?

Not since Simpsons of Shepshed ceased trading but the wife wouldn't be able to take them anyway, she wont drive further than town.

Edited by Dave-G

Two ideas - neither of which am I sure of the legal position;

1. Your wife (assuming she has no appropriate FAC) should have no access strictly.  Of course in practice she will in the event ......
  2. Could your brother hold spare keys?  If he has FAC, then he could arrange his preferred action through an RFD - or by visiting?

I have heard that most FEOs are sympathetic to 'sensible plans' that can be put in place relatively promptly.

In my case (only SGC)  - I have a relative with SGC who will 'take charge' if I'm gone.

11 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:
  •  
  • Could your brother hold spare keys?  If he has FAC, then he could arrange his preferred action through an RFD - or by visiting?

On FAC he would need the guns on his cert too I believe if he has access. I know husband and wife with separate safes in same house due to this! She doesn’t shoot as much so can’t justify some of the guns. 

28 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

I think your wife will be given a small amount of time to expose of the firearms weather it be a RFD or your brother who will have have them on his cert i will check with my mate later who is a RFD

Bless they are not on his ticket ATM but he might apply for them to be acquired.

A freind of mine here in Scotland died last year. FAO simply collected the keys to the cabinets and held them until his wife had nominated an RFD who was passed the keys and collected for sale. In my case daughter has an SGC and is the only one who knows the combination to the safe the keys are in. She lives elsewhere but has instructions on which RFD to contact if the worst happens.

3 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

A freind of mine here in Scotland died last year. FAO simply collected the keys to the cabinets and held them until his wife had nominated an RFD who was passed the keys and collected for sale. In my case daughter has an SGC and is the only one who knows the combination to the safe the keys are in. She lives elsewhere but has instructions on which RFD to contact if the worst happens.

Sounds like sensible planning and a sensible FLO. 

As others have said, a temp cert is the easiest option and this is in the guidance/handbook.

Edit - I was certain I read in the guidance/handbook that the family member could apply for a section 7, but having just had another look, seems they just have to inform the police and either, hand them to the Police or get them to an RFD.

1.10. What happens to the firearms in the event of the death of the owner?

In the event of the death of a certificate holder the person inheriting the effects must surrender or declare the weapons to the police or a registered firearms dealer. Failure to do so would result in the inheritor being in breach of the law by having the firearms in their possession; it is the responsibility of the inheritor to find out whether firearms are part of the deceased effects. Registered firearms dealers will be able to advise on the value of the items and how best to proceed in accordance with the inheritor’s wishes. Options include applying for a firearms licence, selling/transferring the firearm (to a museum or collector) or destroying it.

Edited by Newbie to this

When my friend died suddenly last year his wife was issued with a temporary section 7 permit to allow her to dispose of the shotguns and firearms.  I think it was for 4 weeks,  she got them to a auction in Scotland where they sold for very little despite being good guns.

S

2 minutes ago, figgy said:

Take the scopes off and put sticker or tags on them with realistic sale prices should the worst happen. 

Thin out the expensive guns until after this pandemic. This way she can't be taken advantage of too much.

Sensible to give instructions. A little manual in your gunroom with prices etc and as you say take off all the parts that can be sold separately. I’d gift my shotguns to my shooting buddy.