Damage barrel

snow white

Hi lads been out tonight with 17 hornet and I have had a accident the swivel on the forend gave way of my shoulder the silencer hit the concrete drive I was on in farm it’s damaged the silencer was wondering if it could have damaged the barrel it’s a heavy varmint barrel going to check zero tomorrow but do you think it could have damaged barrel thanks for looking.tony

I reckon the barrel will be fine, undo the moderator and work it up and down the threads checking for any tight spots or if it appears to wobble as it travels the threads, if you had no moderator on I would be expecting to lose half an inch of barrel or at minimum require a re-crown.

3 hours ago, snow white said:

Hi lads seems like good news went down one of the farms set up at fifty yards two spot on then took out to hundred yards inch group so I am happy lad

My sling came off my Brno 22lr . It landed across the barrel and scope . 
after feeling like crying I checked the zero and it was all good . 

Glad to hear all is well, its such a heart stopper when you drop a gun whether it's your own fault or not. I came a cropper with my remington 597 a while ago. Took it out of the cabinet and stood it against the wall, went to close the cabinet and it slid and clattered to the floor ripping the weaver scope base and screws out of the action, I could have cried

Edited by Rob85
Grammer

Made some rounds up yesterday at different seating depths very pleased with result ignore the one on the right was a round I made up with different depth these were shot from a rest on the tailgate of pick up at hundred yards what you think.ps I was just trying to find a round that grouped and this is what I ended up with what you think 

hogdens 4298 11.2 grains 20 grain bullet/head at 1.384 giving me a jump of 20 thou

E6C64A2F-DDA3-4BCC-8E76-14142EA4FE65.jpeg

Edited by snow white

You are much more likely to have damaged the scope. Scopes really don't like getting dropped, even if they don't appear damaged externally the insides can be wrecked Things come loose etc. 

In my opinion the difference between a cheaper scope and a top of the range scope is often not so obvious in the optical performance these days. Even the cheap ones seem pretty good but in the robustness there is a big difference

Edited by Vince Green

I don’t think the scope is damaged I have some very good scopes but this is a wraith scope it didn’t hit the floor just the end of mod that took the damaged but from them targets don’t think anything is broken.

but on the other hand my brand new bsa r10 fell out of cupboard and bent the barrel it happened yesterday been and checked it with mod on and of it is cattle trucked got to get new barrel and mod don’t think March is a very good month for me just think of it I got married on the 11 March 1967 so not to bad.

1 hour ago, snow white said:

I don’t think the scope is damaged I have some very good scopes but this is a wraith scope it didn’t hit the floor just the end of mod that took the damaged but from them targets don’t think anything is broken.

but on the other hand my brand new bsa r10 fell out of cupboard and bent the barrel it happened yesterday been and checked it with mod on and of it is cattle trucked got to get new barrel and mod don’t think March is a very good month for me just think of it I got married on the 11 March 1967 so not to bad.

Clamp your BSA barrel in a padded vice and straighten it. It will be as good as new. Or if you have access to a press and vee blocks it is even simpler. I have done it many times.

1 hour ago, snow white said:

London best I you can say something constructive why don’t you keep your fingers off the keyboard 

I was deadly serious and trying to help you. I was a toolmaker by trade and have straightened many barrels for people. Mostly barrel cocking air rifles which have been fired with the barrel open, but several HW 77 and prewar BSA under levers as well.

London best sorry about that please except my apologies I thought you was talking pxxx.

you get some on here that do it just to say something I have been in touch john knibbs they have new barrel 

in stock Paul there said it could be the scope got knocked I put on my weaver superslam scope but it’s definitely the barrel 

so new barrel and mod.

All the best tony