Good and bad news

Old Boggy

The good news is I`ve won a smart phone in a competition and only have to enter my bank details where I pay just £1.

The bad news is, payment has not been received for my Netflix subscription.

Most strange as I`ve not entered any competitions and don`t subscribe to Netflix.

Do people really fall for these scams?

OB

Hi Chris

The right knee is getting a lot worse so may need to consider  having that one being replaced then redoing the left one again.

But I am worried that both will get worse after any operations so i am trying to put up with the pain.

Hope you are all fine and keeping safe went to my rifle club on Sunday got a text yesterday to say a person as now caught Covid

So now am testing every other day as seen how the wife was when she  became ill in January and the damage it leaves after you recover.

Kind Regards,

Bill

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

The answer is unfortunately yes. You'll now no doubt get some smug so and so coming on and call people for falling for scams. But consider the demographic of the people they like to target, the older generation who are starting to have early stages of dementia. These people are a god send to the criminal community as they are likely to worry once they get communications asking for money and in a distressed state will often send money or payment details to avoid getting into trouble. To most of us we can see them for what they are but to the vulnerable they see something that needs attention. 

12 minutes ago, toontastic said:

The answer is unfortunately yes. You'll now no doubt get some smug so and so coming on and call people for falling for scams. But consider the demographic of the people they like to target, the older generation who are starting to have early stages of dementia. These people are a god send to the criminal community as they are likely to worry once they get communications asking for money and in a distressed state will often send money or payment details to avoid getting into trouble. To most of us we can see them for what they are but to the vulnerable they see something that needs attention. 

Sadly this is very true - and having (many years ago now) had a family member scammed in a similar way (by phone in pre internet days) - the scammers are very clever manipulators and very plausible.  Once that have found a suitable victim - they don't give up.

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

The good news is I`ve won a smart phone in a competition and only have to enter my bank details where I pay just £1.

Most strange as I`ve not entered any competitions and don`t subscribe to Netflix.

OB

Answer is Yes, why else would the scum keep doing it 

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

They often catch people who pay to park in fields!  :cool1:

Last year I had a badly written and curt email telling me my payment to Amazon had been refused by my debit card provider and I had to press the link or my account would be closed at midnight.

I laughed the threat off as a very crude scam to get my banking details as I don’t subscribe to Amazon. However a few days later I had a similar but nicer email from a different firm (who I trusted) suggesting that my new debit card would have a new number and I need to update my account details accordingly, which I did.

About the same time Alexa (she who is always eavesdropping) fell silent. Thinking about it , I found I did have an account with Amazon to pay for Alexa music and the initial threatening badly written email from Amazon was correct. By that time I realised I could live without Alexa and didn’t resubscribe.

The moral of this tale is sometimes these type of emails are correct, but as far as I am concerned if firms like Amazon write reminder emails in the style of a scammer, then they won’t get my business or indeed a response!

1 minute ago, Sciurus said:

Last year I had a badly written and curt email telling me my payment to Amazon had been refused by my debit card provider and I had to press the link or my account would be closed at midnight.

I laughed the threat off as a very crude scam to get my banking details as I don’t subscribe to Amazon. However a few days later I had a similar but nicer email from a different firm (who I trusted) suggesting that my new debit card would have a new number and I need to update my account details accordingly, which I did.

About the same time Alexa (she who is always eavesdropping) fell silent. Thinking about it , I found I did have an account with Amazon to pay for Alexa music and the initial threatening badly written email from Amazon was correct. By that time I realised I could live without Alexa and didn’t resubscribe.

The moral of this tale is sometimes these type of emails are correct, but as far as I am concerned if firms like Amazon write reminder emails in the style of a scammer, then they won’t get my business or indeed a response!

I suspect my Boss may well have worked at Amazon in the past, as she can't write anything properly and it is very apparent when someone else has "done he homework for her!"  :cool1: