Gamebore Supergame?

Looking at sorting my cartridges for the pheasant season ahead, all my shooting is rough walked up, I am thinking about trying the Supergame 32g 5, not used on live quarry yet but they pattern well on the plate with my Silver Pigeon and the 5 shot gives me more confidence for birds flying away as I dont want any runners and also any vermin I come across, anyone any experience with these and are they a good killing shell?, thankyou

Edited by Dougz686

If you are near Leicester and produce your valid SGC I can let you have ten to try in 30g of Lyalvale Special Game #5. But in truth although my late father used noting but #5 in both 12 Bore and latterly 20 Bore (in a lovely 26" barrel G E Lewis "Light Magnum" 20 Bore with 2 3/4" chambers) my findings are that they kill no better yet wound much more than the same shot load in #6. As another said they'll do the job if you do yours but my feelings are so actually would #6...and also #6 would kill cleaner. Best game shot I ever knew and saw "in action" used but 1 ounce of Hull One Ounce #7 in a Purdey bored right barrel true cylinder, left barrel improved cylinder. Using #5 IMHO is for when you want to shoot hare and rabbit close too and don't want them riddled with pellets. Also if you encounter woodcock #5 is a very poor friend.

Edited by enfieldspares

10 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

If you are near Leicester and produce your valid SGC I can let you have ten to try in 30g of Lyalvale Special Game #5. But in truth although my late father used noting but #5 in both 12 Bore and latterly 20 Bore (in a lovely 26" barrel G E Lewis "Light Magnum" 20 Bore with 2 3/4" chambers) my findings are that they kill no better yet wound much more than the same shot load in #6. As another said they'll do the job if you do yours but my feelings are so actually would #6...and also #6 would kill cleaner. Best game shot I ever knew and saw "in action" used but 1 ounce of Hull One Ounce #7 in a Purdey bored right barrel true cylinder, left barrel improved cylinder. Using #5 IMHO is for when you want to shoot hare and rabbit close too and don't want them riddled with pellets. Also if you encounter woodcock #5 is a very poor friend.

Very sensible post.

Pattern is what kills most often, not one pellet of bigger shot.

19 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

What they lack in trendiness, they make up for in effectiveness.

They’ll do the job when you do yours.

I couldn't anyway because they don't do my shot size, but why on earth fork out for the Regal when you can have these. Only fit and function matter, to blazes with the form.

36 minutes ago, London Best said:

Very sensible post.

Pattern is what kills most often, not one pellet of bigger shot.

Was it ever thus?

As an experiment I tried when I had a half-gun at Stapleford Park Hull's 28 gran English #4 in my old BSA  boxlock ejector bore half and half in both barrels. Of four pheasant I shot on the first drive at only twenty-five or thirty yards three were not killed "dead in the air" but came down with broken wings. For the remainder of the day I left those #4 cartridges back in the gunbus!

6 hours ago, the hitman said:

Well said- this message should be preached to all novice pigeon shooters.

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

As an experiment I tried when I had a half-gun at Stapleford Park Hull's 28 gran English #4 in my old BSA  boxlock ejector bore half and half in both barrels. Of four pheasant I shot on the first drive at only twenty-five or thirty yards three were not killed "dead in the air" but came down with broken wings. For the remainder of the day I left those #4 cartridges back in the gunbus!

Back in the 1960’s Gough Thomas wrote in ‘Shooting Times’:

“Next time you get the opportunity to fire a couple of boxes at pigeon. Use a box of No.5’s and then use a box of No7’s. The number of birds walking about and not killed outright by the No5’s compared with the larger quantity of cleanly killed birds shot with the No7’s should be evidence enough that pattern is the better killer.”

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Back in the 1960’s Gough Thomas wrote in ‘Shooting Times’:

“Next time you get the opportunity to fire a couple of boxes at pigeon. Use a box of No.5’s and then use a box of No7’s. The number of birds walking about and not killed outright by the No5’s compared with the larger quantity of cleanly killed birds shot with the No7’s should be evidence enough that pattern is the better killer.”

This. Well put then and still stands true today. 

12 hours ago, Dougz686 said:

I think I will make the switch to shot size 6, back to the pattern plate it is and see what suits my gun pattern wise.

Make haste slowly. You weren't far out to begin with. All shot sizes aren't all things to all men. So, as you mention pheasants, stay with a shot size that suits as you've already tried to do. Pattern kills, end of. But it assumes sufficient energy. A walked up Texas heart shot - as it were - is different to a driven bird presented target. If your walked up game is at about a distance whereby you'd usually use a given shot size, then there's no harm in going up a size - even 1/2 a size as 2.7mm is readily available - just check that all is well at the plate. From the back a pellet has to punch its weight to get through to the vitals

Speaking generally now, whereas the quotes from GT are valid in their context, it is worth seeing what he thought some 20 years after he wrote what has been quoted.

Guest cookoff013

If people would stop chasing 1400-1500-1600 fps loads and find an exceptional quality shell thats 1250-1300 with quality lead, you actually will get neater patterns. 

i started to pattern some subsonics years ago. I was getting full patterns out of cyl choke. Patterns so neat and even. even someone here tried the same and reported a great increase in pattern coverage. Forgot the guys name. 

You could try SIPE 32grm 5’s. It is my game cartridge throughout the season, and through a 3/8ths and 1/2 choke combination I find is devastating. 
That said, there are so many variables to take into account, making up the difference between wounding and killing, I’m not sure how anyone can categorically state their cartridge/choke combination works better than another. 

16 minutes ago, Mr grumpy said:

7's through imp& 1/4.i deal for walked up and traditional driven game too.25gm in 20 bore & 30gm in 12 bore. Knocks em down dead.

Agreed.

But that is far too simple for folks on here, many of whom seem to need a different choke and a half shot size (quarter in some cases!) variation for every different shot or 2 yard range difference.

Shooting conversation on shoot day  on more than one occasion when shooting with 12b...

"You don't miss much do you?"

'Nope, using Cyl and IC chokes and white gold\black gold fibre 28g no7.5 . What are you using?'

"3\4 and full with 28\30\32g no 5"

'Getting much?'

"Pricked a couple but flew on, dogs will get them"

The penny never seems to drop.......

Compare when using the 410 with 7 shot (2.4mm) and 21g load with 250 pellets due to pattern getting thin, range is limited to 35 yards, but still has 6 more pellets in cartridge than a 32g no5 load in 12b and yet people shrug their shoulders and put faith in extra energy in bigger pellet miraculously killing the bird with a rapidly failing pattern.

1 hour ago, Stonepark said:

Shooting conversation on shoot day  on more than one occasion when shooting with 12b...

'Nope, using Cyl and IC chokes and white gold\black gold fibre 28g no7.5 . What are you using?'

'Getting much?'

Compare when using the 410 with 7 shot (2.4mm) and 21g load with 250 pellets due to pattern getting thin, range is limited to 35 yards, but still has 6 more pellets in cartridge than a 32g no5 load in 12b and yet people shrug their shoulders and put faith in extra energy in bigger pellet miraculously killing the bird with a rapidly failing pattern.

Now where have I heard that conversation before?

4 hours ago, Stonepark said:

'Getting much?'

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Although I like Gamebore Blue Diamond 28g 7 1/2 myself.