Aya no4 fence post?

keeper96

Hi all, 

just a bit of a personal opinion here but thought I’d see what others think 

I usually shoot with 1 of 2 old English box locks I own, nothing fancy, just army and navy’s I picked up for pennies at auction, 1 is a late 1890’s and the other early 1910’s I believe. Cheap and out of fashion but to me they seem to handle far better than they should and seem put together with a finesse you’d pay a fortune for these days.

however one of them recently broke on a shoot day and the other is away getting reblacked so I had to break out my spare, an aya no4, it’s in lovely condition and is a nice gun with no obvious issues and plenty of people hold the no4 in high regards but to me it just seemed clunky and dead in the hands.

could it be a bad gun or is this just one of those personal preference things? 

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

really need a # 3....a bit more refined

Hello, I wouldn't agree that the no 3 is more refined. Could you elaborate please.

Keeper96, the no4 is every bit as good as most basic English boxlocks, and superior to some. However, it is what it is, a copy.  I have never had a problem using any Aya, accept them for what they are, Spanish guns. Slightly different feel to British guns ( or is that imagination, I don't know) My opinions, Regards

8 minutes ago, benbobailey said:

Hello, I wouldn't agree that the no 3 is more refined. Could you elaborate please.

Keeper96, the no4 is every bit as good as most basic English boxlocks, and superior to some. However, it is what it is, a copy.  I have never had a problem using any Aya, accept them for what they are, Spanish guns. Slightly different feel to British guns ( or is that imagination, I don't know) My opinions, Regards

In no way was I knocking it, it’s a solid little gun but I just find the handling very mechanical? 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

really need a # 3....a bit more refined

A #3 is a #4 without ejectors.

4 minutes ago, grahamch said:

Great guns, last for ages if looked after and handle well.

Correct......but lack that ‘certain something’, handling-wise, that old English guns nearly all seem to have.

1 minute ago, London Best said:

A #3 is a #4 without ejectors.

Correct......but lack that ‘certain something’, handling-wise, that old English guns nearly all seem to have.

They may not handle/ feel the same as older British guns but there is almost no difference , if any,when compared against a 1970s Webley in all its guises. Regards

I bet that the No4's barrels will survive a knock to its barrels unscathed that'd put a nasty dent in your two English guns.

The two English you have likely feel alive because the barrels are thinner than on the Spaniard. And usually of course the two English guns are specced for 2 1/2" cartridges not the AyA's 2 3/4" chambering?

In Best London Boss guns handle beautifully yet that comes with a cost and it's usually that you'll more often see Boss guns rebarrelled than you will guns of either Purdey's or Holland's equivalents. As Boss barrels were usually thinner.There's a price to be paid for everything.

Yes as others also have remarked the No4 may be a bit "cobby" rather than thoroughbred but it is what it is and IMHO superior in truth in nearly every aspect to any Webley 700.

Edited by enfieldspares

7 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

The two English you have likely feel alive because the barrels are thinner than on the Spaniard. And usually of course the two English guns are specced for 2 1/2" cartridges not the AyA's 2 3/4" chambering?

I would also think this is the reason.  Hand filed English barrels are thinner, particularly towards the muzzles, and the proof pressures for 2 1/2" are lower, so a little less metal is needed.  Sleeved English guns are left with more wall thickness in their new tubes than the outgoing old ones (often out of proof thin), and I have heard of owners who have a favourite gun sleeved being disappointed by the changed handling.

As has also been noted above, thin barrels are easily dented and are potentially a 'big bill (or possibly these days, write off) in waiting'.

11 hours ago, benbobailey said:

sorry dont mind me .....i was talking out of my rear as usual....getting my 3 s and 4 s mixed up..should know ive had all of them

22 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I bet that the No4's barrels will survive a knock to its barrels unscathed that'd put a nasty dent in your two English guns.

In Best London Boss guns handle beautifully yet that comes with a cost and it's usually that you'll more often see Boss guns rebarrelled than you will guns of either Purdey's or Holland's equivalents. As Boss barrels were usually thinner.There's a price to be paid for everything.

Yes as others also have remarked the No4 may be a bit "cobby" rather than thoroughbred but it is what it is and IMHO superior in truth in nearly every aspect to any Webley 700.

No doubt that’s the reason,but I’ll be hanging onto the old girls for as long as possible!