First class days shooting.

Walker570

I had booked a driven day today at the Biggin Grange Shoot near Ashbourne and we arrived at 8.15 am to be met by the staf who had already laid out coffee and tea in the dining room and trays full of bacon cobs where served.  The shoot owner then gave us the normal talk prior to a days shooting laying out the rules for the day.  I was sort of odd man out as the other eight guns where a small syndicate but I imediately sensed we would gel and have a good day togther.  A bit of a mix up on peg numbers occured right at the start and I imediately volnteered to take peg 2 and solve the problem.  The drive was from the top of a patch of game cover and birds broke from a point about 300yrds above the guns and climbed down to pass over us at between 25 to 35 yards up.  I took one nice pheasant and then about 50 ducks lifted from a lake up in the valley and came round he whole line. Pick one and stay with it was my instruction from my grandfather when shooting grey partrudge 65 yrs ago and I did the same with one duck and folded that as well.  I might point out at this stage I was shooitng my Yildiz 410 30 inch barrels and FC in both barrels.

We then moved a short distance and had a long walk across two fields because the ground was seriously wet. However the Keeper took my gun and seat down in the UTV and this drive I was peg 5 and almost as soon as I dropped shells in the chambers birds began to stream over us.  I picked a very fast partridge and it fell about 100yrds behind me. Then a pheasant climbed out of the game cover 400yrds away and I began to think it would be outside my litle guns range, but deciding it was up about 40yrds I took it slightly infront and it threw it's head back and folded.  These new Lylevale 3 inch shells do the job.  These where #6s.  A couple more birds there and the horn went to end the drive, all the guns had been shooting and I was sure the bag had grown considerably which was confirmed when pickers up walked by with their game carriers full.

We then had a quick stop for a small glass of sloe gin and off to the next drive.  I was driven to my peg this time in the utv and the keeper said I was the end gun and could move out sideways if birds seemed to prefer that line.  I did move about 10yrds and had just settled when the keeper shouted "ASH TREE" !!!  I had a large mature ash tree just infront of me and I saw a supersonic partridge appear over the top. Pure instinct kicked in and I managed to get a shot off  but convinced I had missed, but the Keeper shouted "Good Shot" and the bird finished up on the roof of a large shed to be picked later.   I took a duck and a nice pheasant on that drive but let a lot of ducks go bye.  I'm really not into shooting released ducks but must say these flew very well.   We then returned to base and lunch had been laid on for us consisting of a large plate of chicken casserole with mashed potato and peas, followed by a selection of cheese and a large home cooked fruit cake.  We had the choice of red wine, orange juice and other soft drinks or a beer. Superb.

Then we got loaded in the gun trailer and whisked off to a deep valley.  I was now #2 and taken down the very slippery muddy track and field and put in place by the keeper.  I knew I was on the end of the line so didn't expect a lot of sport but three very nicie 40yrd pheasants came my way and  fell foul of the little 410s ability. Folded stone dead in the air.

Then it was all over, we had just gone over the bag agreed of 100 head by two and it was decided therefore to call it a day and returned to base for cups of tea and delicious home made sponge cake, liberally filled with cream and raspberry jam.

The weather???  Well I drove the 50 niles up there in lashing rain but by the time we walked out for our first drive it stopped and in fact the sun came out for the last two drives.

If you have the chance to take a day at Biggin Grange, which is run in conjunction with the Kedlestone Shoot then do so.  The team there go out of their way to see you have a great day.

Cannot wait until next season to get up there again.

I might add my wife picked twenty empty cartridges behind me for ten birds so I was more than happy with my little gun.

Edited by Walker570

The trouble is the seasons just seem to fly bye. Only four more weeks and six more days organised.  I don't do big days and try to spread the jam thinly as possible, so days from 70 to 130 being my choice.  To me it is not just about killing things, there is so much more to a day out with a group of like minded shooters. 

21 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well done Nev, lets hope your good instinct continues, you're rather good at picking nice shoots.   :good:

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

The trouble is the seasons just seem to fly bye. Only four more weeks and six more days organised.  I don't do big days and try to spread the jam thinly as possible, so days from 70 to 130 being my choice.  To me it is not just about killing things, there is so much more to a day out with a group of like minded shooters. 

Yes indeed, I agree completely. Looking forward to the 5th of Jan.  :good:

23 minutes ago, archi said:

Sounds a good day

do they have another shoot in Derbyshire by any chance do you know as I shot up there in November and I think they said the other shoot they had was Biggin.

the family team that ran it where 2 brothers and the father (jones)

As Nev said it is run in conjunction with Keddlestone.

1 hour ago, archi said:

Sounds a good day

do they have another shoot in Derbyshire by any chance do you know as I shot up there in November and I think they said the other shoot they had was Biggin.

the family team that ran it where 2 brothers and the father (jones)

Yes, it is the Biggin shoot I was on.  They intend expanding further next season which was good to hear with many estates down grading due to this covid business.