Mungler

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I was quoting on a moral basis since I'm not qualified to comment on legal matters.

I wasn't suggesting Boris should face the same consequences as Putin (surely that was obvious).

In my book Boris doing better than Corbyn would have done doesn't make him innocent of other wrongs.

Surely with that line of reasoning a person accused of rape could use the fact they prevented a murder in another incident as a reason for acquittal for the rape charge (i'm talking metaphorically here, of course)

Party gate is now irrelevant. World events have overtaken and it’s an obvious waste of time and resources - in particular the time of our prime minister with war in Europe.

The binary point is that following the general election we have the best of a bad bunch. There were / are no other choices other than to unseat Boris now and insert Truss or Rishi which would be an error.

It’s really not that difficult to grip. 

You started off saying Boris has to be held to account for partygate because wrong is wrong. Pray tell when should that rise to the top of the agenda - before or after WW3?

8 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Party gate is now irrelevant. World events have overtaken and it’s an obvious waste of time and resources - in particular the time of our prime minister with war in Europe.

The binary point is that following the general election we have the best of a bad bunch. There were / are no other choices other than to unseat Boris now and insert Truss or Rishi which would be an error.

It’s really not that difficult to grip. 

You started off saying Boris has to be held to account for partygate because wrong is wrong. Pray tell when should that rise to the top of the agenda - before or after WW3?

Straight out of the lawyer school of never acknowledging a point, instead ignore it and change subject whilst trying to use verbal trickery to intentionally misconstrue what's been said 🙂 Well trodden path fella...

Surely nobody is suggesting ousting Boris now.

My opinion / conviction is that in due course Boris should be held to account on Partygate.

OK, tell you what, let's compromise - if he singlehandedly averts WW3, I'll sign the petition to have the Met drop any and all charges against him related to Partygate.

Just now, Raja Clavata said:

My opinion / conviction is that in due course Boris should be held to account on Partygate.

OK, tell you what, let's compromise - if he singlehandedly averts WW3, I'll sign the petition to have the Met drop any and all charges against him related to Partygate.

Due course? When, precisely, given all that is happening around us?

Do we endorse the BBC still using air time / PMQs time to press questions on partygate when the PM, the Country and the world ought to have focus on averting WW3?

Thus, we have to kill off and write off partygate right now, don’t we?

If there is WW3, do we search for Boris in the ruins and bunkers and press on with an enquiry using what’s left of the Met? 😀

Sophie Raworth appears to be in the Raja camp!

"Viewers have accused Sophie Raworth of being “aggressive” towards Boris Johnson when she quizzed him about alleged parties at No 10.

The broadcaster interviewed the Prime Minister on the BBC’s Sunday Morning on February 20, and asked whether he would resign if he was found to have breached the law by attending parties at Downing Street during the coronavirus lockdown.

The BBC has now confirmed that it “received complaints from viewers who felt that our presenter was aggressive towards the prime minister", and that it was "inappropriate" to raise questions about alleged parties in Downing Street when the interview was actually about the escalating situation in Ukraine.

Responding on the complaints section of its website, the corporation said the interview was conducted in Munich after a speech the Prime Minister gave about the Ukraine, and that Raworth questioned Johnson on the UK’s stance towards Russia.

However, the BBC noted that it was "also the first opportunity the programme has had to question the prime minister about allegations of parties in Downing Street since the story broke".

I get that the pious want Boris to resign over partygate, but is that what is best for the Country right now?

Imagine the pious get their wish - then where does that leave us? Total ‘nose off spite face’ moment. So, all roads lead to the Rome that is letting it go (for the demonstrably minor non event that it may have been) and focusing on the WW3 ‘stuff’. Simples.

Edited by Mungler

Just now, Mungler said:

I get that the pious want Boris to resign over partygate, but is that what is best for the Country right now. Imagine the pious get their wish - then where does that leave us? Total ‘nose off spite face’ moment. So, all roads leave to Rome and that is letting it go (for the demonstrably minor non event that it may have been) and focusing on the WW3 ‘stuff’. Simples. 

Yes I quite agree, now is NOT the time!

Far more important things to be dealing with.

13 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Due course? When, precisely, given all that is happening around us?

Do we endorse the BBC still using air time / PMQs time to press questions on partygate when the PM, the Country and the world ought to have focus on averting WW3?

Thus, we have to kill off and write off partygate right now, don’t we?

If there is WW3, do we search for Boris in the ruins and bunkers and press on with an enquiry using what’s left of the Met? 😀

Prior to your posting this thread the only conscious link I'd made between Boris' PartyGate and the Russian/Ukraine war was the suspicion that a part of Boris was rubbing his hands together when Russia started the invasion.

But this is getting ridiculous now, if WW3 does break out pretty much nothing will matter, least of all the views expressed here.

Personally I have no problem at all with the Met suspending it's enquiry for the time being.

And there was silly ol' me thinking this would stay on topic after I called it out as fishing... 

So in the interest of fairness to the OP - I think most Ukrainian men Sare making alot of the world's male gender (is that the right phrasing) look pretty weak and pathetic. Okay they've been banned from leaving but most are going back to bare arms rather than hide in a bunker ..

The key point of our variance here appears to be whether or not Boris' Partygate should be addressed by the Police or not - I'm saying yes, in due course and you appear to be saying no, never?

Can't get the Police to turn out on car thefts, burglaries, knife crime and a whole lot more. So let's get them to spend time on Partygate, along with continuing the Madeleine McCann case. They are a finite resource and should re-examine their priorities. The two aforementioned cases shouldn't be on the radar.

8 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I have nothing but admiration for the Ukraine people and am frankly astonished at the high profile people enlisting. Whilst I still have reservations about the cost of resistance, I doff my cap to their heroic efforts. .

Strange on a previous thread you quoted “Ukraine should accept the inevitable” but now you have admiration for the Ukraine people fighting 

Not sure why you think it is strange, unless you are stirring it.

I genuinely worry about the cost of resistance. If Ukraine wins - it would appear to be worth it. If they don't, they could well be left with a country with cities consisting of rubble and little more. How many years / decades will it take to rebuild?

I think any right minded person has to admire the Ukraine people's willingness to fight, unlike the Channel migrants who leave their families in an alleged war zone and hot foot it away. Boxers and more, who have not taken the soft option, but returned to fight alongside their countrymen.

That said, I still believe that, unless Putin is replaced, they will lose a war against a better armed and numerically superior invader, at a tremendous cost. 

Edited by Gordon R

35 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Strange on a previous thread you quoted “Ukraine should accept the inevitable” but now you have admiration for the Ukraine people fighting 

I said the same, but you cannot fault there spirit, to see sportsmen returning to there homeland must be a massive boost to ordinary men on the street, who would have thought tennis and boxing stars would return to fight.

But like Gordon says above,  what will the cost of resistance be?

12 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Not sure why you think it is strange, unless you are stirring it.

I genuinely worry about the cost of resistance. If Ukraine wins - it would appear to be worth it. If they don't, they could well be left with a country with cities consisting of rubble and little more. How many years / decades will it take to rebuild?

I think any right minded person has to admire the Ukraine people's willingness to fight, unlike the Channel migrants who leave their families in an alleged war zone and hot foot it away. Boxers and more, who have not taken the soft option, but returned to fight alongside their countrymen.

That said, I still believe that, unless Putin is replaced, they will lose a war against a better armed and numerically superior invader, at a tremendous cost. 

Fair enough Gordon I’m Not trying to stir anything I do agree The odds are stacked in Russia corner But my point would be if Ukraine didn’t resist and accept a Russian invasion then I think putin would start setting he’s sights if not already on other Baltic states that being said Is he mad or stupid enough to take on NATO IM hoping he’s not but this man doesn’t seam to be scared of anyone Yes you are also correct he will destroy the major cities but I’m sure the brave people of Ukraine would rather die than live under putin 

12 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I said the same, but you cannot fault there spirit, to see sportsmen returning to there homeland must be a massive boost to ordinary men on the street, who would have thought tennis and boxing stars would return to fight.

But like Gordon says above,  what will the cost of resistance be?

Also agree Mice Ukraine sports stars taking up arms must be a great motivation for the people to resist 

7 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Gerry78 - I can't argue. I agree that many people would die rather than live under Putin, but that is rapidly becoming their stark choice. 

Yes Gordon agree again it’s looking grim for the people of Ukraine 🇺🇦 my thoughts are with them 

As above, if the Ukraine becomes Putin’s Vietnam then he’s going think twice about pushing on to other countries afterwards, and that means the Ukraine is taking a big one for the team. Indeed, if the roles were reversed, so I ever see the French doing what the Ukrainians are doing / prepared to do?