Hunting with Dogs (Scotland) Bill

captainhastings

Unless I have missed it has any one mentioned this ?
I am not sure if basc are actively going to fight it or just roll with it.

https://basc.org.uk/hunting-with-dogs-scotland-bill/?fbclid=IwAR3k7sYYuYZNnQJVpAN4yl9D4PklEIPtWGmUBhGoKlO4mLbrlt5_1W7C9yI

I know this is a predominately shooting forum but yet again lurcher work and ferreting will suffer and basically be screwed 
To quote Basc in the article above

"This Bill, if passed unchanged, will have minimal impact on those of us who use one or two dogs in the countryside for pest control, game shooting, wildfowling or deer stalking. "

So a case of I am all right jack. Every single inch we give them we will never get back and they will keep driving that wedge in deeper. It will effect shooters further down the road with out doubt. But it is heading toward a country where you can't take your lurcher for a walk and catch a rabbit. It beggars belief and is absolutely disgusting. It will start in Scotland but given time England and Wales will be next.   

I think the Countryside Alliance is on this.

Failing that buy a white transit van pull up at the venue of your choice and let the dogs out.

You may need to intimidate land owners but the perfect way to unwind after sparing with your cousin and putting down a few drives.

4 minutes ago, redial said:

Failing that buy a white transit van pull up at the venue of your choice and let the dags out.

You may need to intimidate land owners but the perfect way to unwind after sparing with your cousin and putting down a few drives.

Fix that for you!

1 hour ago, redial said:

Failing that buy a white transit van pull up at the venue of your choice and let the dogs out.

The Bill creates an offence if a person “hunts a wild mammal using a dog”. It is important to note at this point that the definition of “wild mammal” will also change under the Bill. In the 2002 Act, rabbits and rodents were excluded but the new Bill only excludes rats and mice.

so reading the article you couldn't take three dogs out rabbiting!! Wether your shooting ferreting or bushing.

And trail hunting would be banned, it's a slippery slope.

2 hours ago, redial said:

Hello, well said 👍

4 hours ago, captainhastings said:

Just about sums it up really. So when they screw your chosen sport that will be good enough for you 

I consider myself to be a field sportsman and I am a 

member of the C.A. I don't have running dogs these days but I follow hounds.

25 minutes ago, redial said:
4 hours ago, captainhastings said:

Just about sums it up really. So when they screw your chosen sport that will be good enough for you 

I consider myself to be a field sportsman and I am a 

member of the C.A. I don't have running dogs these days but I follow hounds.

Fair enough your not so bad after all 

9 hours ago, captainhastings said:

Unless I have missed it has any one mentioned this ?
I am not sure if basc are actively going to fight it or just roll with it.

https://basc.org.uk/hunting-with-dogs-scotland-bill/?fbclid=IwAR3k7sYYuYZNnQJVpAN4yl9D4PklEIPtWGmUBhGoKlO4mLbrlt5_1W7C9yI

I know this is a predominately shooting forum but yet again lurcher work and ferreting will suffer and basically be screwed 
To quote Basc in the article above

"This Bill, if passed unchanged, will have minimal impact on those of us who use one or two dogs in the countryside for pest control, game shooting, wildfowling or deer stalking. "

So a case of I am all right jack. Every single inch we give them we will never get back and they will keep driving that wedge in deeper. It will effect shooters further down the road with out doubt. But it is heading toward a country where you can't take your lurcher for a walk and catch a rabbit. It beggars belief and is absolutely disgusting. It will start in Scotland but given time England and Wales will be next.   

Hello, I am a member of the Scottish Gamekeeper Association , they are actively opposing this bill. I have received communication from them with suggestions of action I can take personally eg list of MP emails etc. I have no real involvement with dog packs (although a pack of hounds are covering my small shoot next week)but I will oppose the introduction in anyway, it's just another in a long line of actions to totally eliminate fieldsports of all kinds. As a past member of Wagbi/ Basc it must be said that those organisations along with others, have been very poor in the protection of shooting and country sports. I fear the overall battle is almost lost , and there is very little will on our part for a fight. Regards

Edited by benbobailey

33 minutes ago, benbobailey said:

Hello, I am a member of the Scottish Gamekeeper Association , they are actively opposing this bill. I have received communication from them with suggestions of action I can take personally eg list of MP emails etc. I have no real involvement with dog packs (although a pack of hounds are covering my small shoot next week)but I will oppose the introduction in anyway, it's just another in a long line of actions to totally eliminate fieldsports of all kinds. As a past member of Wagbi/ Basc it must be said that those organisations along with others, have been very poor in the protection of shooting and country sports. I fear the overall battle is almost lost , and there is very little will on our part for a fight. Regards

Thank you for your reply and glad to hear the Scottish Gamekeeper Association are having a go at least. Once its gone its gone and you never hear of any thing being recovered.  Once lost it stays lost 

49 minutes ago, benbobailey said:

Agreed, it all seems to be going the way of the anti's.

What doesn't help is people like Packham. Who has the luxury of BBC airtime.

Edited by redial
Error

Unfortunately it's almost all gone for future generations, or soon to be gone. Elimination by stealth and continual chipping away of our sports is increasing at a worrying rate. Sadly no one seems to really care and appear resigned to the fact that " shooting, fieldsports etc" are finished. Our opponents are awash with cash and totally control the arguement on social media. They also have a strong passion for their beliefs and a huge dislike for the people who participate in country sports. We on the other hand, sit back and moan! I really despair for the future, Regards

It's all water under the bridge now, BUT :

After fox hunting was banned, all we heard from the hunting people was how cruel and nasty shooting of foxes was. A lot of shooting people I know who had marched and written to support hunting were very vexed by this and wonder why to this day.

(This is not a personal comment as I have shot just one fox in my long life, having neither lambs nor pheasants to protect.).

Who are "we" ?  That's the question.

Many people assume that shooting and fox hunting automatically belong in the same box - it's the same people doing the same thing.  That opinion is held by people involved in those activities and also people who campaign against them.

There are lots of people who shoot who feel no affinity whatsoever to the hunting fraternity, and vice-versa.

This debate has been done to death, it always goes round in circles and ends up in stalemate!

"We" are "people who kill animals for sport", that's the bare truth of it.

Edited by Jim Neal

2 hours ago, redial said:

Your last two lines sum it up Jim and that's why I think "we" should unite and stand shoulder to shoulder.

The problem is this: Many people who only shoot feel that fox hunting is like someone drowning, grabbing on to their leg so they drown too.  A lot of people in shooting don't feel any connection to fox hunting and don't wish to be "tarred with the same brush" so to speak.

The brutal truth is that hunting foxes on horseback with packs of hounds was no longer able to justify itself.  At the moment, shooting birds with guns is (just about) able to justify itself because it is "producing food" but that argument is consistently undermined by the antics of some individuals and shoots.  I fear it won't be long.

My son is 5 years old and I can't imagine him being an old man who shoots game and pigeons.  By then it will probably be made law you have to hug a bunny at bedtime.

Nothing to do hounds that has been lost. The issue is lurcher work and all the people that go ferreting and lamping legally which there are plenty. A proper way of country life where you nip out for a few unbeatale hours of sport and puts some food on the table if you wish. How they have the audacity to take that off people amazes me

Comparing the BASC interpretation of the proposed Scottish bill with The Hunting Act 2004 (England and Wales) then the Scottish proposal does, unfortunately, seem to go further than the 2004 Act by making the hunting of rabbits with dogs in Scotland illegal.

My reading of the 2004 act is that it is illegal to hunt a wild mammal with a dog unless that mammal is exempt. Rabbits and rats are exempt (subject to certain conditions) and can be hunted with dogs. Retrieval of hares is that the hunting of a hare which has been shot is exempt but other than that it would seem that hunting hares with dogs is illegal.

Fired up by the Packham’s and Princess Numb Nuts of this world, the public does not understand or want to understand that the opportunity to hunt with dogs is very restricted and covered by legislation.

Edited by Bobba