Gas and Electric Energy supply Cap Up from April 1st and its not a joke !!

oldypigeonpopper

All the major suppliers web sites have crashed yesterday due to the over whelming number of UK residents trying to give a last reading before the prices go up, Phone lines crashed to, pleased be prepared , if possible take a photo of your readings, with time and date so you have evidence in case of any hassle with your supplier, 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

All the major suppliers web sites have crashed yesterday due to the over whelming number of UK residents trying to give a last reading before the prices go up, Phone lines crashed to, pleased be prepared , if possible take a photo of your readings, with time and date so you have evidence in case of any hassle with your supplier, 

Just done mine EDF back online 👍

11 minutes ago, oowee said:

Its a handy way to save some money. 

Hello, taking readings today should help to stop any mix up between old and new energy prices,

i take it ...prices will continue to rise ...everyone will be in debt.....sky will go out of buisness as people wont have the money for subsrition...phone companies will go to the wall......hire purchase cars will all be snatched back.............

we will be paying £5 quid for a potatoe and eating grass.........

is that when the market will re-set itself or will the govt step in first.......

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i take it ...prices will continue to rise ...everyone will be in debt.....sky will go out of buisness as people wont have the money for subsrition...phone companies will go to the wall......hire purchase cars will all be snatched back.............

we will be paying £5 quid for a potatoe and eating grass.........

is that when the market will re-set itself or will the govt step in first.......

Brexit 

Well it is approaching 14:30 and I have so far spent £2:47 on Gas and electricity today.

Some heating this morning to warm the house and two loads of washing done.

It's starting to get expensive to live.

IMG_20220401_142457a.jpg

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Image added.

Just now, oowee said:

Smart meter owners must be kicking themselves on a day like today. 

You can still be on a fixed price contract with a Smart meter.  The decision to have a variable (and with Smart possibly variable with demand?) is the customers, and you can still have a 12 month or 24 month fixed price (or at least you could when I last renewed my contract).

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

You can still be on a fixed price contract with a Smart meter.  The decision to have a variable (and with Smart possibly variable with demand?) is the customers, and you can still have a 12 month or 24 month fixed price (or at least you could when I last renewed my contract).

Yep but you can't submit your own reading. 

48 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well it is approaching 14:30 and I have so far spent £2:47 on Gas and electricity today.

Some heating this morning to warm the house and two loads of washing done.

It's starting to get expensive to live.

IMG_20220401_142457a.jpg

ive been in this here bungalow for a month now........

nice and warm (infact too warm)....the figures work out at £3.20/day....heating /hot water/ and electricity

59 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I am.   :good:

58 minutes ago, oowee said:

Yep but you can't submit your own reading. 

Yes you can!  :cool1:

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes you can!  :cool1:

Although being on a fixed price (which I am too) not much point in sending in a reading as the price is the same per KW every month.  I do send in readings because although I have a Smart electricity meter, I don't have a Smart gas meter - apparently wrong size pipes (which in fact means man who came to fit it was 'unqualified' to work on that pipe size).

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Although being on a fixed price (which I am too) not much point in sending in a reading as the price is the same per KW every month.  I do send in readings because although I have a Smart electricity meter, I don't have a Smart gas meter - apparently wrong size pipes (which in fact means man who came to fit it was 'unqualified' to work on that pipe size).

Oh absolutely, when the Smart Meter is working it does it all for you.

Unfortunately my EON version has been a sod twice now, but they have fixed it remotely.

39 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes you can!  

Never knew that. 

35 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Are they two separate meters normally? 

Just now, oowee said:

Are they two separate meters normally? 

Yes.  The old meters were quite separate for gas and electricity. 

I believe it works like this;  The electricity meter is the 'hub'.  Because it is powered - i.e. it actually uses a small amount of mains electricity (allegedly from the un-metered side) to power its electronics and reporting transmitter/receiver that communicates with the provider (radio network  like but not GSM ), it is the main central point of the system and the 'master'.  The gas meter (where fitted) is a slave unit and is battery powered only.  It communicates only to (and to the provider through) the electricity meter, which then relays on the gas data.  The electricity meter also drives the signal (including relaying the gas data) to the in house display which tells you the bad news about how much you are using.

Electricity usage is reported every minute or so, but I believe (being battery powered) gas is much less often (maybe hourly?)

In my case I was booked to have both done, but when 'engineer' turned up my gas meter was of a type and pipe size on which he was apparently not qualified to work.  Hence - despite repeated following up, I am only smart on the electricity side and gas is still an old read and send in manually type system.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Yes.  The old meters were quite separate for gas and electricity. 

I believe it works like this;  The electricity meter is the 'hub'.  Because it is powered - i.e. it actually uses a small amount of mains electricity (allegedly from the un-metered side) to power its electronics and reporting transmitter/receiver that communicates with the provider (radio network  like but not GSM ), it is the main central point of the system and the 'master'.  The gas meter (where fitted) is a slave unit and is battery powered only.  It communicates only to (and to the provider through) the electricity meter, which then relays on the gas data.  The electricity meter also drives the signal (including relaying the gas data) to the in house display which tells you the bad news about how much you are using.

Electricity usage is reported every minute or so, but I believe (being battery powered) gas is much less often (maybe hourly?)

In my case I was booked to have both done, but when 'engineer' turned up my gas meter was of a type and pipe size on which he was apparently not qualified to work.  Hence - despite repeated following up, I am only smart on the electricity side and gas is still an old read and send in manually type system.

The original smart meter were not so smart as they are unable to control appliances. Those in the second roll out are far better. I have heard that with the older style meter that they wear in your favour with age. I wonder if that true with the latest stuff?

Either way when prices are moving significantly its better to be in control of your own data rather than have it the meter read directly. 

Water an electricity have been and still are relatively cheap.  Turn the tap on and water and ours is on a meter and runs at around £50 a quarter ... less than a pound a day.

My electricty bill has just gone up but still worked out over 12 months still cheap when I can just flick a switch and have power.  My heating oil last year was around £800.

1 minute ago, oowee said:

Either way when prices are moving significantly its better to be in control of your own data rather than have it the meter read directly.

If you are on a variable tariff, yes.  However - since mine is fixed - 'when' they get to learn about how much you have used is immaterial.