best wildfowling dog opinion

shotgun tim

4 hours ago, marsh man said:

I think we can all agree that the strong type Labs with a thick coat are the most popular dogs that are used for both inland and coastal wild fowling , this is not to say that other breeds are not suitable because we know that wouldn't be the case .

Two of my mates had the big type Springer Spaniels and they were both very good fowling dogs , one slight problem which we rairly have to contend with this day and age is ice , I once saw one of my mates dog covered in ice from head to foot with it's long coat getting iced up and with wild fowling the dog can sit in freezing conditions for long periods without much activity , like I said about the Chessie that came across a fast flowing river to pick my duck up , without a doubt that dog would have found the duck if the owner on the other side of the river had shot it himself , he had marked it well and was hunting every clump of reed out , so he would have my 10 / 10 , water work , again couldn't fault it and would have got another full marks , ignoring the owners call to return could well be a fault of the owner and not the dog , still not my choice for a fowling dog but they can and do make excellent dogs for retrieving wildfowl in harsh conditions .

I would say that man on the other side of river from you marshman, would have done most, if not all  his shooting on his own, and all his dog ever would of known would  be mark the duck,  and retrieve the duck. That and probably a good dose of head strength, is why he probably ignored owner calling him back.. and I'd say that dog wouldn't return too often without the duck, 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Krico woodcock said:

I would say that man on the other side of river from you marshman, would have done most, if not all  his shooting on his own, and all his dog ever would of known would  be mark the duck,  and retrieve the duck. That and probably a good dose of head strength, is why he probably ignored owner calling him back.. and I'd say that dog wouldn't return too often without the duck, 

You are dead right , I knew the bloke and he did do most of his shooting by himself , or at best with his boy , that dog could certainly work and I believed he lived to a ripe ole age .

One interesting fact was the river isn't that wide and we could often talk to each other by raising our voice a bit , what is strange , he can shoot on his side on a Sunday where myself on the other side couldn't , as he was in Suffolk and I was in Norfolk , not that his dog took a blind bit of notice what county he was in as long as there was a retrieve to be had  :lol:

163BD3E3-D0FE-484E-9AB1-ABE9E6537A25.jpeg.032b1f37491c22e41715e26ec133daac.jpeg
hopefully one day this little madam will be my marsh accomplice. Really good reading everyone’s views and opinions on the different dogs. I’ve only ever seen one Chesapeake (on a game shoot) and made the mistake of assuming it was a fu my coloured lab…. I don’t think the owner was to impressed but did make the time effort to explain and educate me 

Yep, pwned a GSP and he would go to hell and back for me BUT my old choccy lab Muffin...proper lab broad nose, otter tail and double coat would do the job no problem. Superb swimmer and a powerful dog  to handle mud etc.  So I have to go proper labrador as a first choice...not one of those hig speed snipey nosed half breeds with no coat to speak of, although they are superb on a driven birds day.   I had a friend who owned a Newfound;land and there was nowhere she would not go to retrieve. Awesome dog.

Edited by Walker570

4 hours ago, marsh man said:

You are dead right , I knew the bloke and he did do most of his shooting by himself , or at best with his boy , that dog could certainly work and I believed he lived to a ripe ole age .

One interesting fact was the river isn't that wide and we could often talk to each other by raising our voice a bit , what is strange , he can shoot on his side on a Sunday where myself on the other side couldn't , as he was in Suffolk and I was in Norfolk , not that his dog took a blind bit of notice what county he was in as long as there was a retrieve to be had  :lol:

I wonder did he ever find a suitable bitch and breed him? .. I do alot of duck shooting  but it is all inland, but does be a big variety of water. From big lakes , that inter connect  miles upon miles of water,  to little flashes of floods. All I ever used was Springer spaniels, big strong dogs, that have a very thick curly cost, that will face any water,  conditions, . We have same line of Springer 30 years. They get the job done. I also do alot of woodcock shooting so obviously springers obvious choice! I'm a Springer man through and through,  but has to be right type of Springer.. I  also had a dropper, father was a black  German pointer  that was brought in from Germany,  that got his wicked way with a Springer bitch.  Anyway I got to pick a pup, and we named him coco, a beautiful  strong black,  lightly dappled dog. Very little Springer in appearance or way he worked, he was German pointer to any one's eye. He was Also a mighty water dog, retriever. and when doing light cover,  for woodcock,  he'd find and point,  but not for too long,  but long enough! I had to put  coco down last year,  because he nipped a woman walking by my house ( I live in country) she also had a dog, anyway long story,  but poor coco made his faith.. tough 😔

Edited by Krico woodcock

As usual with these posts, most people understandably, recommend /praise the fowling dog they have  because these are the very reasons that made them  buy the pup in the beginning .

I am no different 

I got mine precisely because I didn't want the same as everyone else .

After a year or two of seeing my springer not handling the cold and not being built for the tides in the severn it was time for something more durable.

I actually  spoke to seasoned owners of the breed ,ignoring friends of fiends anecdotes .

almost 8 yrs on 

no regrets ,

He's as happy on the worst weather fowling day on the marsh as playing with the grandkids in-front of the woodburner.

slow burners in training but worth the wait ,I think this is where frustration comes in with some owners not understanding the breed ,as said its not a lab . you get out what you put in .he wouldn't win a field trial but that was never my intension .

if I shoot something he brings it back .

very good with other dogs unless we have a pile of ducks then he will guard or if you have a hi viz on and knock the door .

very loyal ,very hardy . and just shy of 50kg a big strong dog .

Not for everyone ,But for me 

4032D616-5635-406B-B7D3-9F3456A43784_1_105_c.jpeg

eddie.jpeg

30 minutes ago, iamspuddy said:

As usual with these posts, most people understandably, recommend /praise the fowling dog they have  because these are the very reasons that made them  buy the pup in the beginning .

I am no different 

After a year or two of seeing my springer not handling the cold and not being built for the tides in the severn it was time for something more durable.

I actually  spoke to seasoned owners of the breed ,ignoring friends of fiends anecdotes .

almost 8 yrs on 

no regrets ,

He's as happy on the worst weather fowling day on the marsh as playing with the grandkids in-front of the woodburner.

slow burners in training but worth the wait ,I think this is where frustration comes in with some owners not understanding the breed ,as said its not a lab . you get out what you put in .he wouldn't win a field trial but that was never my intension .

very good with other dogs unless we have a pile of ducks then he will guard or if you have a hi viz on and knock the door .

eddie.jpeg

Fantastic post mate your correct we’re all guilty of being biased towards the breeds we work Lovely big Dog built for The foreshore 👍👍

On 26/08/2022 at 10:01, iamspuddy said:

I am no different 

almost 8 yrs on 

no regrets ,

eddie.jpeg

Good post and your dog look like it was built to work and I am sure it could tackle any tide and in any condition with very little effort .

I am one of those who started off with a Labrador and nearly 60 years later will end up with one , I did at times think about changing breeds but every dog I have had started life with me at around eight weeks old and every one became part of the family until his time was up ranging from 10 to 14 years old , the problem I would have had was the young one might have not got on with the ole one , and if the training went hay wire I would have kept him and maybe regretted getting a Lab pup that I was more used to , also all my Labs have been dual purpose and have been used for Pigeon shooting , rough shooting and the one I have got now is used for picking up , that again is not to say that your dog or other breeds couldn't do that and I well remember a mate of mine had a medium size Springer and wiped my dogs eye over a brilliant retrieve it once done on my marshes .

I had gone up for the morning flight and my dog had already picked a couple of the run of the mill type of retrieves when I hit a Mallard that glided across the fleet dyke I was crouched beside and pitched in my next door neighbours dyke , I sent my dog over who was then about three years old and he went as far as where the duck went in and kept working that area and that was it , in the end he came back without it and I had to admit defeat , in the evening I had invited a mate of mine who liked a bit of duck shooting , as we were a bit early and I was going to let him flight on the same marsh I was on in the morning  I walked with him to the edge of the boundary dyke and told him about the duck I lost in the morning , he then said I will let my dog have a go if you like , he sent it across the main dyke and then sent it over a branch dyke , his dog shook himself and waited to see where he had to go next , my mate swung his arm and shouted to get on and way he went again towards the next dyke , once again he waited for the next command , up went my mates right arm and his dog went a good twenty yards to the right and dived down the side of the dyke , we didn't see him any more until he came up the side about sixty yards from where he went in with a very lively Mallard in it's mouth , this was one of the finest retrieves I saw a Spaniel do without not knowing anything was there , as a footnote we never got nothing that night and the least I could do was to let him have the duck his dog got .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Good post and your dog look like it was built to work and I am sure it could tackle any tide and in any condition with very little effort .

I am one of those who started off with a Labrador and nearly 60 years later will end up with one , I did at times think about changing breeds but every dog I have had started life with me at around eight weeks old and every one became part of the family until his time was up ranging from 10 to 14 years old , the problem I would have had was the young one might have not got on with the ole one , and if the training went hay wire I would have kept him and maybe regretted getting a Lab pup that I was more used to , also all my Labs have been dual purpose and have been used for Pigeon shooting , rough shooting and the one I have got now is used for picking up , that again is not to say that your dog or other breeds couldn't do that and I well remember a mate of mine had a medium size Springer and wiped my dogs eye over a brilliant retrieve it once done on my marshes .

I had gone up for the morning flight and my dog had already picked a couple of the run of the mill type of retrieves when I hit a Mallard that glided across the fleet dyke I was crouched beside and pitched in my next door neighbours dyke , I sent my dog over who was then about three years old and he went as far as where the duck went in and kept working that area and that was it , in the end he came back without it and I had to admit defeat , in the evening I had invited a mate of mine who liked a bit of duck shooting , as we were a bit early and I was going to let him flight on the same marsh I was on in the morning  I walked with him to the edge of the boundary dyke and told him about the duck I lost in the morning , he then said I will let my dog have a go if you like , he sent it across the main dyke and then sent it over a branch dyke , his dog shook himself and waited to see where he had to go next , my mate swung his arm and shouted to get on and way he went again towards the next dyke , once again he waited for the next command , up went my mates right arm and his dog went a good twenty yards to the right and dived down the side of the dyke , we didn't see him any more until he came up the side about sixty yards from where he went in with a very lively Mallard in it's mouth , this was one of the finest retrieves I saw a Spaniel do without not knowing anything was there , as a footnote we never got nothing that night and the least I could do was to let him have the duck his dog got .

Lovely post MM great to hear stories of men’s dogs in a bye gone Era if I was to post of my dogs stories it would consist of me shouting at my head strong lab and cursing 🤬  But wouldn’t have it any other way 😊thanks again looking forward to the 1st 

Lab for me, I've had several springers,labs,a Goldie ,gwp and a chessie. The last two I will never go near again. I like something that's easy  train and good tempered. Labs are just the job for me , 

They all did the job and can do better in the right hands ,just not mine. 

I started with labs as teenager  and  I will stick with them now. 

• 5 weeks later...

So far I have had but one. He is a lab dog called Gerald 11 months old and tips the scale at 39KG!! He loves the water and has turned out to be an amazing swimmer. Training has been steady and I have tried not to push him too much. Last year I was looking for a Chessie and Tim was going to have a litter of which I was down to have one. Unfortunately the pregnancy didnt take. 

Gerald is is a cracking lad and we have formed a good friendship I'll try and get a pic of him up

33 minutes ago, Manish said:

That was him at about 9 months 

PXL_20220519_171242440.jpg

A lovely healthy looking dog and I am glad he is coming on nicely , always a day to remember when the new trainee bring back it's first duck and more so if you couldn't had found or retrieved it yourself .

For a while I remembered most of my dogs first wildfowl retrieve but now my memory bank is not as active as it once was , mind you I can often look at my diary and certain days come flooding back , while looking at it a couple of weeks ago I noticed one entry said , Archie got his last duck tonight after George done all the retrieving , this wasn't the case of a dogs first retrieve it was more of a case as his last retrieve .

More or less all the dogs I have had over the last half century have become one of the family at around eight weeks old and arrived at our house over Easter or a Bank holiday near to that time , early training would begin with sit and stay and continue throughout the Summer , time the season rolled around the pup hadn't done any cold game retrieving and he would come along on each flight to get used to the conditions and watch the old one work , then once the season finished the young dog would start on cold game and swimming lessons until the next season rolled round and by that time the young recruit would be 18 months and ready to take over from the old one .

On the night that I refer to from my diary it was getting towards the end of the season and the old stagger was getting near his time , we had a decent flight for Wigeon and the young dog had picked up four , during the flight I knew I had hit another but the angle he was going would have been to far to send a young dog and not knowing the duck was even down , still the time came to call it a day and start crossing the marshes to make my way back to my motor , my old dog had a habit where he would run around the marsh mainly to get warm and to see if he came across the odd one , all the time my young dog was kept at heel , every now and again the old one would come back to see where we were and off he would go off again , as we were nearing the last gate he came out of the darkness holding a very livery drake Wigeon , as I was the only one on my marshes I like to think this was the duck that carried on earlier , if it was then this was the last duck Archie picked up and he was put down very soon after , this then left George to do all the work for the next 8 or 9 seasons until my next one came along which as it turned out is the one lying fast asleep in his warm bed a few feet away from where I am trying to type these notes .

All the best for the weeks ahead .

22 minutes ago, marsh man said:

A lovely healthy looking dog and I am glad he is coming on nicely , always a day to remember when the new trainee bring back it's first duck and more so if you couldn't had found or retrieved it yourself .

For a while I remembered most of my dogs first wildfowl retrieve but now my memory bank is not as active as it once was , mind you I can often look at my diary and certain days come flooding back , while looking at it a couple of weeks ago I noticed one entry said , Archie got his last duck tonight after George done all the retrieving , this wasn't the case of a dogs first retrieve it was more of a case as his last retrieve .

More or less all the dogs I have had over the last half century have become one of the family at around eight weeks old and arrived at our house over Easter or a Bank holiday near to that time , early training would begin with sit and stay and continue throughout the Summer , time the season rolled around the pup hadn't done any cold game retrieving and he would come along on each flight to get used to the conditions and watch the old one work , then once the season finished the young dog would start on cold game and swimming lessons until the next season rolled round and by that time the young recruit would be 18 months and ready to take over from the old one .

On the night that I refer to from my diary it was getting towards the end of the season and the old stagger was getting near his time , we had a decent flight for Wigeon and the young dog had picked up four , during the flight I knew I had hit another but the angle he was going would have been to far to send a young dog and not knowing the duck was even down , still the time came to call it a day and start crossing the marshes to make my way back to my motor , my old dog had a habit where he would run around the marsh mainly to get warm and to see if he came across the odd one , all the time my young dog was kept at heel , every now and again the old one would come back to see where we were and off he would go off again , as we were nearing the last gate he came out of the darkness holding a very livery drake Wigeon , as I was the only one on my marshes I like to think this was the duck that carried on earlier , if it was then this was the last duck Archie picked up and he was put down very soon after , this then left George to do all the work for the next 8 or 9 seasons until my next one came along which as it turned out is the one lying fast asleep in his warm bed a few feet away from where I am trying to type these notes .

All the best for the weeks ahead .

@marsh manI have all this to look forward to. Im half tempted to have Geralds first retrieve taxidermed as a memory 

54 minutes ago, Aled said:

What about a mongrel, this is my dog Celt a Labrador crossed with a NZ Huntaway, an accidental mating so not a designer dog. He wont win a field trial championship but we enjoy our shooting! 

image.jpeg

You never know what you get with a first time cross, if you get one from a planned mating your odds are a bit better to get a working dog.

/Markus

23 hours ago, Aled said:

What about a mongrel, this is my dog Celt a Labrador crossed with a NZ Huntaway, an accidental mating so not a designer dog. He wont win a field trial championship but we enjoy our shooting! 

image.jpeg

Tell yer what Aled , you  have got a nice looking dog there and I have seen many dogs that didn't have any papers who could hold there own on any marsh , tidal waters , in a hide and on game shoots , that's not say all dogs make the grade , with or without papers, one of our beaters have got a Jack Russel and he is as good , and better than most of the beaters I have seen over the years , on the other hand , one of our regular guns used to bring a Irish Setter , nice looking dog but that is about as far as it go for the pluses , as for a gun dog , this one was as bad as you could get , I am no weakling and I used to drive the guns about , I used to dread when the dogs owner used to say , can you just hold my dog John, I liked the just bit as it was as strong as a Ox and it took all my strength to hold it , in the end I got wise to that and as he got off the gun wagon if he wanted me look after it I would tie it to the army lorry we had , even then I had to make sure the hand brake was fully on :lol:

On 28/09/2022 at 14:17, marsh man said:

Tell yer what Aled , you  have got a nice looking dog there and I have seen many dogs that didn't have any papers who could hold there own on any marsh , tidal waters , in a hide and on game shoots , that's not say all dogs make the grade , with or without papers, one of our beaters have got a Jack Russel and he is as good , and better than most of the beaters I have seen over the years , on the other hand , one of our regular guns used to bring a Irish Setter , nice looking dog but that is about as far as it go for the pluses , as for a gun dog , this one was as bad as you could get , I am no weakling and I used to drive the guns about , I used to dread when the dogs owner used to say , can you just hold my dog John, I liked the just bit as it was as strong as a Ox and it took all my strength to hold it , in the end I got wise to that and as he got off the gun wagon if he wanted me look after it I would tie it to the army lorry we had , even then I had to make sure the hand brake was fully on :lol:

Very true I have seen dogs with all the papers of splendid pedigree but the owners haven't put in any work. End result we all know 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/08/2022 at 21:27, Old farrier said:

They were in there time sadly those two are long gone but I like the picture😊

rescued one after them best most loyal and protective one I’ve had weren’t the best gun dog though 

got another after her my fifth he’s not to bad does everything I need and good company 

the spaniels do the rest 

D3245D87-47C7-4A37-99ED-48201E732817.jpeg

758F8CEF-C9E5-4D26-8DBC-6F94D47DE560.jpeg

Got to ask old farrier is that tea time photo or shooting gear on and can we go to work look ?

Looks a fantastic team that hold many fond memories!

Agriv8