A Sure Sign Of Getting Old

marsh man

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Norfolk, soon to be entering the 20th century!  

We are not really in any hurry Dave , part of the attraction of our fine county , got the train from Sheringham to Holt not long ago , steam belching out of the engine ( and no they hadn't put the wrong fuel in :lol: ) and the seats were made from pure leather , felt like we were taking part in the original , The Railway Children , now that's going back a bit .

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Do you really expect me to remember what kind of street lamps they had on a street I only visited the once, sozzled, fifty years ago? 
I can’t remember what I had for breakfast.

I was trying to be understanding.

50 years ago, most street lamps were sodium, apart from in Norfolk - see above - and where rich councils could afford mercury lamps.

It was notoriously difficult to distinguish colours under sodium lamps.

3 times

The first time - had a nightmare journey from North Wales to Leeds for an interview - plus my SatNav corrupted so had a hell of a job finding the place once I was at Leeds. After the interview I needed to fill up (The Esso by Asda). Anyway, while waiting for the recovery truck I received a call telling me I had the gig - I told them I didn't want it

Second Time - I was in Swindon working and on the way to work I needed to fill up as I was travelling home that evening. On the way to the petrol station I was listening on the radio to a presenter who had misfueled their car the day before - she just finished talking about it when I got out the car and filled it with petrol - talk about subliminal suggestion. I checked yellow pages and found the nearest small garage and got recovered there by the AA - They pumped it out and the guy said that he used the fuel in his classic military vehicles - I immediately know where he lived - on Bridge End Rd behind Greenbridge Retail Park, just off the roundabout if any of you know him

Third Time - local fuel station had just reopened after a massive upgrade - and had weird coloured pump covers etc and filled up with Petrol, even though that car (not the one from the previous two) has a misfuelling device - which didn't work - even though I have previously stuck a petrol nozzle in for it to go off - so they are not foolproof

All this is in about 1,000,000 miles and at 500 miles a tank that is an exceptional small percentage of me doing it in my own defence :D

1 hour ago, discobob said:

3 times. All this is in about 1,000,000 miles and at 500 miles a tank that is an exceptional small percentage of me doing it in my own defence

Only you are thinking that!   :cool1:

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

We are not really in any hurry Dave , part of the attraction of our fine county , got the train from Sheringham to Holt not long ago , steam belching out of the engine ( and no they hadn't put the wrong fuel in ) and the seats were made from pure leather , felt like we were taking part in the original , The Railway Children , now that's going back a bit .

Yes I used to enjoy living, working and shooting in Norfolk, lovely countryside, you just have to allow for the locals!  :lol:

On 31/08/2022 at 16:22, marsh man said:

One question if you don't mind me asking . Have you , or anyone you know done it twice 

My sister 🤦🏻‍♂️

But diesel in a petrol fiesta.

First time she did she didn’t know why it had cut out but swore she had put petrol in it.

Cost her to get it drained and a new fuel pump.

Second time got it home but wouldn’t restart, I has a sniff in the tank and said you’ve put diesel in it again!

She got quite irate at this and said “do you really think I would put diesel in it after the last time!!!”

She had but got away with a drain and new filter that time.

She hasn’t done it since…… yet

:shaun:

9 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

My sister 🤦🏻‍♂️

But diesel in a petrol fiesta.

First time she did she didn’t know why it had cut out but swore she had put petrol in it.

Cost her to get it drained and a new fuel pump.

Second time got it home but wouldn’t restart, I has a sniff in the tank and said you’ve put diesel in it again!

She got quite irate at this and said “do you really think I would put diesel in it after the last time!!!”

She had but got away with a drain and new filter that time.

She hasn’t done it since…… yet

Your sister might be in an exclusive club Shaun  as I haven't heard anyone making the same mistake twice , speaking to a young(ish) couple down the marsh yesterday morning they were saying they both put the wrong fuel in the two cars they had as one was petrol and the other one was diesel , up to now they had only done it once , but it might only be a matter or time , or they could go the rest of there lives by only making the costly mistake once , who knows ?

On 01/09/2022 at 12:16, amateur said:

I was trying to be understanding.

50 years ago, most street lamps were sodium, apart from in Norfolk - see above - and where rich councils could afford mercury lamps.

It was notoriously difficult to distinguish colours under sodium lamps.

I am old enough to remember our village street lamps being gas as my father..an apprentice gas fitter...had the job of going round last thing at night to turn them off.

He also had the job of replacing the flimsey fittings .....the name escapes me.... which allowed the burning gas to glow.

57 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I am old enough to remember our village street lamps being gas as my father..an apprentice gas fitter...had the job of going round last thing at night to turn them off.

He also had the job of replacing the flimsey fittings .....the name escapes me.... which allowed the burning gas to glow.

You mean the ceramic gas mantles, little caps of various nitrates that give off an incandescent glow when heated.

I remember those in use, holidaying in rural Lincolnshire, in the early 50s, along with earth closets and guzunders.

Not that we, in sophisticated Yorkshire, made use of them, but the Bucknall cottage that we were staying in did.

Edited by amateur

I pulled up at the pumps a few weeks ago to discover the filler cap was on the wrong side, rather than stretch the hose I turned around and parked at the next door pumps facing the other direction, yes the filler cap was on the wrong side again...years ago i put a fair bit of petrol in a diesel car but then filled up with diesel, worked fine

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

Your sister might be in an exclusive club Shaun  as I haven't heard anyone making the same mistake twice , speaking to a young(ish) couple down the marsh yesterday morning they were saying they both put the wrong fuel in the two cars they had as one was petrol and the other one was diesel , up to now they had only done it once , but it might only be a matter or time , or they could go the rest of there lives by only making the costly mistake once , who knows ?

She’s only had diesel cars since hasn’t made the the mistake yet 🤞

23 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I remember caravan holidays in the late 50's and 60's, lights were gas, an evocative smell that went with musty caravans and fried breakfast, happy days

Filled my previous Invincible up with petrol, £90, that was 68 litres, realised what i had done, drove 2 miles and took 60 litres out of the tank, drove back to the garage and topped up with another £90 + of diesel. Then spent another £60 on an additive to lubricate the pump etc. 

The distraction was a little tot in the back of a car next to me, i was pulling faces at him. 

5 hours ago, Dougy said:

Filled my previous Invincible up with petrol, £90, that was 68 litres, realised what i had done, drove 2 miles and took 60 litres out of the tank, drove back to the garage and topped up with another £90 + of diesel. Then spent another £60 on an additive to lubricate the pump etc. 

The distraction was a little tot in the back of a car next to me, i was pulling faces at him. 

You done well to get backwards and forwards to the garage with a different fuel in , and could you reuse the old petrol you had to remove ? , when I started my motor up on the driveway it stunk of fume's as if the exhaust was off , I was convinced my problem was a blocked  air filter and didn't know I had put petrol in until my garage chap took the fuel filter off and ask me to smell it , even then I still tried to tell him I had put diesel in and it must had been in the pump at Morrisons , he was going to ring them up to see if anyone else had the same problem , he then asked me for the receipt so he could see when I got it , and the one I had been looking at with £30 worth of diesel was the wrong date , after going through every receipt in my wallet it was soxs law the very last one said £30 worth of petrol , I had now ran out of excuses and the game was up:lol:

24 minutes ago, Dougy said:

There was enough fuel in the pipe and filter to get me to where I could drain it all off. Once there it was all flushed through. 

The fuel mix was dumped, could have been used in chainsaw I suppose. 

Cheers Dougy , Glad you didn't get any long term problems and all ended well ,  let's hope it was our first and only ( costly ) mistake . :good:

20 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Cheers Dougy , Glad you didn't get any long term problems and all ended well ,  let's hope it was our first and only ( costly ) mistake . :good:

I was lucky enough to sort it out within a short distance,  it helped having someone close with a fair bit of knowledge. The petrol dissolves the seals, and strips the lubricant from the engine fuel pumps and damages the injectors. Can be a very costly mistake, diesel in a petrol isnt as bad so im told.