A Sure Sign Of Getting Old

marsh man

Friday I was getting low on fuel so I pulled in to Morrisons to stick some diesel in the tank , I normally pull up on my left side to fill up but as all the left hand pumps were in use I pulled up to the right , the hose was just long enough and I had to fill up fairly slowly ( £30.00 ) , went in and paid for it and all was good , got in my motor and a mile down the road it started to judder a bit , anyhow I only had to go another mile to get home and we made it alright , before I loaded up with my Pigeon gear I thought I better try it and it wouldn't start , as it had been dry and dusty I thought it might had been a blocked air filter , I rung my garage chap who couldn't come to mine as he was baby sitting for the weekend ,so he said he will order a new air and oil filter and come to mine this morning as he had another job a bit later on today booked in .

He arrived about 10am and took the air filter box off and then made a start on the fuel filter while I put the kettle on , while I was waiting for it to boil he called out and said smell this , I smelt it and said it smell like a diesel / petrol mix , bang on you silly buggxr you had filled up with petrol , no I said it was certainly diesel , have you got the receipt ? , yea It's in my wallet , got them all out and the very last one said PETROL . this was the first time ever I had put the wrong fuel in .

P S    He is coming back in the morning to drain it out and fill it up with diesel .

Have any of you bright lads done it , and if so what was the outcome ?    MM

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Usually costs a few quid to get the wrong fuel out!

NOT done it myself, YET, but know a few who have.

Hi Dave ... Yea my chap said he had done several and like you say all the old fuel have got to be drained out and at least 25 liters of Diesel to go back in .

I never gave it a thought when the nozzle wouldn't go in as I put that down to stretching the hoze around my car, and even the Green hoze didn't register , might have to get the slippers out of cold storage and see whats on day time television before to long :lol:

Yep I've done it in a hire car through work, 2 miles up the road from the petrol station it had a missfire which you don't expect from a 2 month old motor, when it cut out shortly after I knew exactly what I'd done.

I was about a mile from my parents so got my dad to tow it in. I emptied the tank as far as I could and shot some diesel in it and cranked it a lot, it coughed, spluttered and generated a bit of vapour, it eventually fired up and I took it for an enthusiastic drive down the A14. At the time I thought that was the better option than having to tell the lads at work..

Edited by decoy1979

A lad that worked for me in the motor trade did it - im normally pretty easy going but when he did it i went mad and had a right go at him

The very next day i was in a brand new demonstrator - it had no fuel in it - yep you got it - i did the exact same thing - i think i got to about 75 quid and then realised my error !

Much fun and laughter at work that day as i got the truck out to collect me and the car and drain it all out !

Got very close a couple of times but now with having to seek out E5 then I tend to look more closely at the pump labels.   My wife almost got arrested for trying to steal a car when she was trying her keys in an identical little Skoda parked three bays away from hers.  Fortunately the lady owner turned up and they had a real laugh about it.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

My wife almost got arrested for trying to steal a car when she was trying her keys in an identical little Skoda parked three bays away from hers. 

Over fifty years ago I left a party (as a newt) and spent fifteen minutes trying to unlock not mine but my mate’s mini. But his was red and mine was grey!

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

How old is your vehicle?  Modern cars, a petrol nozzle will fit in a diesel filler, but not the other way around.

THANKS for your replies.

My vehicle is a 08 , the chap came around mine this morning to sort it out , he took the air filter and fuel filter off and then connected a small pump to my battery to pump my fuel out , once out he then cleaned the fuel container before fitting the new one and then topped it up with diesel , next he removed the ole air filter and to my surprise the container it was in had a good two hand full's of soil in it , the filter was dirty but not as dirty as I would had thought considering all the dust I had been through throughout the Summer , next he put it all back , pumped the fuel filter holder and said give it a go , it started first time and the fumes smelt a fair bit , he then recommended I go and fill up the tank with diesel to get rid of any petrol fumes in the tank and it will help to dilute any petrol left anywhere , I paid him and off he went , when I headed for the garage I had two lights still on but once I filled the tank up with the right fuel they both went off at the time .

So I am back on the road and I will look twice every time I put some fuel in .

One question if you don't mind me asking . Have you , or anyone you know done it twice ?:hmm: 

5 hours ago, London Best said:

Over fifty years ago I left a party (as a newt) and spent fifteen minutes trying to unlock not mine but my mate’s mini. But his was red and mine was grey!

Was it parked under a sodium street lamp, in which case I am not surprised that you made a mistake.

14 hours ago, amateur said:

Was it parked under a sodium street lamp, in which case I am not surprised that you made a mistake.

Do you really expect me to remember what kind of street lamps they had on a street I only visited the once, sozzled, fifty years ago? 
I can’t remember what I had for breakfast.