An interesting one with a lab and a rabbit

mgsontour

Out today with my 6 year old lab which happened to stumble upon a young rabbit, needless to say the rabbit is now inside the lab; gulped down whole with minimal crunching.

I'm interested to know what am I to expect, the squits or will he chuck it up and more importantly is there anything to worry about in the medium term as at the moment he is fine with a smug look on his face

Cheers

My friend had a Rottweiler who would often wolf down rabbits whole,he was always concerned but never had any issues. He said the dog would just look very contented for hours after.  I might add I'm not medically trained so please speak to a vet or someone more intelligent than me.😆

Edited by markyboy07

Nothing to do with Labs or Rabbits, but my mum and step dad had a pack of jack russel's (peaked at around 20 odd). The Old man of the pack and one of their earliest dogs enticed a chicken to poke its head out of the shed, needless to say the chicken was dragged under the shed and scoffed. The terrier was under there for 24 hours, too fat to get back though the 5 inch cement block hole it dragged the chicken though. 

Hopefully the dog will be fine,  amazing how much of the world seems to be edible where labs are concerned.... I got my backside smacked by the mods for putting a post up of a seagull eating a rabbit whole....I watched it with no sound and I didn't realise that the guy filming only had one word in his vocabulary and it began with F 😆

• 1 month later...

I always used to save a rabbit for the farmer's dog on a big piece of land I had access to. Dog was huge, not sure of breed, great dane/mastiff cross I believe. Quite a scary looking animal. I certainly wouldn't let my young son anywhere near it. Anyway, the dog would rear up and swallow the rabbit whole like a crocodile. We did this for years and the dog never had any issues. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2022 at 03:01, dogone said:

One of my labs,Curly, ate a muskrat whole. Started at the head. Worked it all in tail and all. Didn’t bother her at all.

Some labs are born to consume anything they can get in their mouths. 

i have known some women like that

My cat brought a fully grown rabbit in. I knew he had something large as he made a right racket getting through the cat flap. He proudly presented the buck rabbit to me and I promptly thew it back out, locking the cat flap before the wife saw. 

The cat sat outside and over the course of 3 hrs ate the whole thing bar its tail. He looked like a snake that had eaten a pig. No apparent I'll effects but he is wormed often. 

He also eats squirrels but has a right tear up with them when he gets hold of one. 

1 hour ago, GingerCat said:

My cat brought a fully grown rabbit in. I knew he had something large as he made a right racket getting through the cat flap. He proudly presented the buck rabbit to me and I promptly thew it back out, locking the cat flap before the wife saw. 

The cat sat outside and over the course of 3 hrs ate the whole thing bar its tail. He looked like a snake that had eaten a pig. No apparent I'll effects but he is wormed often. 

He also eats squirrels but has a right tear up with them when he gets hold of one. 

Not a lap-cat then ?! 😲 My partner's dogs (ESS,s) get hold of the odd rabbit in her paddock,,,, gruesome isn't the word that describes the outcome 🤢🤮 Also no ill effects 🙈