What do you think?

Scully

51 minutes ago, oowee said:

No chance is a bit optimistic. 

We want long term planning and government rather than short term knob swinging that lurches from side to side and makes no progress. We currently have problems with everything, tax, NHs, law, finance education and on and on so the current system clearly does not work. Binning the monarchy would be a good starter for ten as it forces the UK to step back and rethink. Exactly as should have happened post Brexit. Thinking is simply in the too hard box for most. 

We may want it they don't and holding rhe upper hand we have no chance/

Absolute chaos as now generates huge wealth for a few and subdues the rest?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, oowee said:

We should bring in PR establish a president and a constitution that sets out financial parameters and an operational framework. Kick the monarchy into touch, get rid of the house of lords and set up a new political architecture. 

Who could be trusted?

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Its rubbish. The cost is hidden as much of our land and property has been moved to individuals rather than the state. It's not about the money it's being subservient to these unelected, out dated hangers on.

If we abolish the Royal family should the Crown Estates that were surrendered by George III back in 1760 and managed by the Treasury, be handed back to the Royal family?

I am sure the Royal family could live happily in some of the properties and have a nice income from these estates, plus it would free them from a never ending engagement diary.

1 hour ago, Wymondley said:

Spot on, I'm far from left wing with my politics, but how long can we keep going in the present format?

Because the present two party system offers no real change, and that's how they want it.

The monarchy represents the head of the old guard political and class system, it all needs to go.

People should learn to respect achievement not titles.

Yep absolutely spot on in my opinion to. 

57 minutes ago, oowee said:

Why should they do that and how do they do that

Why should ex service members be looked after?? Really?

The how is straightforward,  stop using tax payers money to help immigrants and I'd say foreign aid till things at home are sorted out.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

It's nothing at all to do with respecting the previous monarch. We will soon be crying when we get a knob running the show. Lets change it now.

I'm taking it you mean the new King? I don't see how what the Royals does affects our daily lives.

47 minutes ago, old man said:

Who could be trusted?

Exactly,  at least at the moment if we get fed-up then we can vote in the other party, not that much changes.

But picture the likes of Blair or Starmer becoming President 🤔 

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Agreed but who are the achievers ? sir Branson, lord Sugar, Dyson....... hmm president Branson.😄

Definitely not, nothing against any of them in particular but you are listing self server's. 

Although their achievements would not necessarily have relevance to running a country, why not list people who have received the victoria Cross for instance, at least they are selfless rather than selfish! 

54 minutes ago, old man said:

Who could be trusted?

At least someone elected, certainly not someone born into privilege. 

5 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Why should ex service members be looked after?? Really?

Really? RE read my post. Why should the benefits due to ex service members rely on the grace and favour of a monarchy? If they deserve help they should get it.

The how is straightforward,  stop using tax payers money to help immigrants and I'd say foreign aid till things at home are sorted out. 

I'm taking it you mean the new King? I don't see how what the Royals does affects our daily lives.

They steal from us every day. You don't matter so you don't see the impact. When you do matter you will see it.

Exactly,  at least at the moment if we get fed-up then we can vote in the other party, not that much changes.

You cant vote for the Monarchy. What you going to do when the next one is Jimmy Saville?

But picture the likes of Blair or Starmer becoming President 🤔 

Whoever it was would have been chosen by the people. If you support democracy then the monarchy has no place. With a reformed political architecture the guiding framework would iron out the wrinkles. With PR we would have better balance rather than Knob followed by Knob.

2 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Not always so. In France, in the USA that's correct.But President of Ireland and the President of Germany (which is why you've never heard of him and most can't even name him) doesn't. They are titular heads of state but have no similar power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_Ireland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_Germany

we have had kings and queens for ceturies and i for one hope it continues for centuries to come.maybe slim diwn the ones who can claim payments from the civil list.they work for charities and do it for life.i doubt any president would do this most i would say line their own pockets then dissapear.

56 minutes ago, old'un said:

If we abolish the Royal family should the Crown Estates that were surrendered by George III back in 1760 and managed by the Treasury, be handed back to the Royal family?

I am sure the Royal family could live happily in some of the properties and have a nice income from these estates, plus it would free them from a never ending engagement diary.

No idea. It was robbed from us in the first place so lets start there. Whatever they get they will pay tax like the rest of us. 

28 minutes ago, oowee said:

No idea. It was robbed from us in the first place so lets start there. Whatever they get they will pay tax like the rest of us. 

think you would need to go back to 1066 to prove the Crown land that was acquired by right of conquest was robbed from us.

The very estates that created the wealth of the original kings of England were taken from the inhabitants of the country.  William the Conqueror took the lot from them when he unified the crown, taking more land and rights with the creation of hunting estates, further compounded by the enclosures act. 

16 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

Can you clarify what you mean. Who robbed what from who?

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

Definitely not, nothing against any of them in particular but you are listing self server's. 

Although their achievements would not necessarily have relevance to running a country, why not list people who have received the victoria Cross for instance, at least they are selfless rather than selfish! 

At least someone elected, certainly not someone born into privilege. 

Not done very well there for years have we?  Politics seems to be a home for liars?

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

The very estates that created the wealth of the original kings of England were taken from the inhabitants of the country.  William the Conqueror took the lot from them when he unified the crown, taking more land and rights with the creation of hunting estates, further compounded by the enclosures act. 

Who were these inhabitants. Saxons, Scandinavians Romans and do you own your own property?

18 minutes ago, oowee said:

Trying to undo the tangle of history of land ownership over the last 1000 years in the UK would be legal nightmare.

Perhaps that once you have sorted that out you could help the Aboriginals and the American Indian get their lands back.

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

Trying to undo the tangle of history of land ownership over the last 1000 years in the UK would be legal nightmare.

Perhaps that once you have sorted that out you could help the Aboriginals and the American Indian get their lands back.

I’m having Sandringham- good shoot, close by and kids love the woodland play area….

17 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

Who were these inhabitants. Saxons, Scandinavians Romans and do you own your own property?

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

:lol: Your right of course it would take a far greater mind than mine to work it out. 

5 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

I’m having Sandringham- good shoot, close by and kids love the woodland play area….

have not decided yet as I am going to wait and see what land oowee can get for me, might let you have a day on the estate once he's sorted it :)

2 hours ago, old'un said:

think you would need to go back to 1066 to prove the Crown land that was acquired by right of conquest was robbed from us.

to get right to the root of how the monarchy came about...........in its most simplistic form it goes backto and starts off at ............"who had the longest sword "    nothing to do with god and stuff just who was the most brutal

19 minutes ago, ditchman said:

to get right to the root of how the monarchy came about...........in its most simplistic form it goes backto and starts off at ............"who had the longest sword "    nothing to do with god and stuff just who was the most brutal

or go back further still and its who had the biggest club.

Actually thinking about it I might be able to claim back some land from the Crown, few years ago I was doing some family research and did a DNA family tree test, found out that my genes matched a line going all the way back to a tribe called the Picts in the far north of Scotland.

What do you think my chances are?

Edited by old'un

1 hour ago, old'un said:

or go back further still and its who had the biggest club.

Actually thinking about it I might be able to claim back some land from the Crown, few years ago I was doing some family research and did a DNA family tree test, found out that my genes matched a line going all the way back to a tribe called the Picts in the far north of Scotland.

What do you think my chances are?

i would imajine you would be part of the Sturgeon clan then ?

1259450755_WhatsAppImage2022-09-18at19_11_37.jpg.a56d2ea73ff8346c0d960ba3abf97c41.jpg

2 hours ago, old'un said:

have not decided yet as I am going to wait and see what land oowee can get for me, might let you have a day on the estate once he's sorted it :)

I must be due something. This is above my front door. Neighbours lad has just taken the farming lease of Highgrove so I could probably wangle a bit of that, wherever it is.

5 hours ago, clangerman said:

...while ex servicemen are homeless...

The usual red herring. 

Apart from the question of if it's some, all or a few, many have underlying reasons for being homeless, substance issues, mental illness health and until they are resolved how can someone with those issues cope with a home and all that it involves.