SuperGoose75

Well its nearing that time of year again, Apple pie time. Well they were always called ''Apple cakes in our home growing up. My mother would always bake loads, some for relatives and neighbours ect.. All made with homemade pastry and baked in a range oven. At Halloween she would put money/coins in the pie wrapped in foil. It was great getting a slice with a 10p in it. 

Anyway there is a glut of apples about locally and I've some blackberries in the freezer. So apple and blackberry pies will soon be on the go, along with some eves pudding,crumbles ect..!

We had to purchase a new washing machine a few months back and whilst in the shop I noticed a small pie maker that was reduced to half price. Since its near impossible to get a good steak and kidney pie around these parts as kidney has gone out of fashion, it prompted me to make my own. Stewing beef,kidney,carrots,onions, seasoned and browned and put in the slow cooker with some good stock for 7hrs on low. Cooled and the put into shop bought pastry😱 for convenience as it was a trial,shortcrust for the bottom and puff for the lid. I put a dollop of ''Cashel blue'' in a couple as I knew it would complement the pie filling.

They turned out well, although you can't get a lot of filling in this particular model. I make bigger pies, although our local butchers steak pies are unreal and the whole house eats them. I used the wee pie machine for small apple pies also. Handy for using up some left over dinner and it's OK to have some ready-made pastry in the freezer.

Screenshot_20220927-094404_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220927-094746_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220927-094353_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220927-094017_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220927-094028_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220927-094006_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220927-094001_Gallery.jpg

Edited by SuperGoose75

10 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Tasty Tasty mmmmmmm 👍

Cheers 👍

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

im on my way......................

Bring custard and fresh cream for the apple pie! I'll have a choice of mash or chips for the steak & kidney😃

8 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Eggsellent. 

Cheers 👍

5 hours ago, discobob said:

I'm not allowed pies 😢

That's a shame!  Surely a small one now and again would do no harm😉

Just now, SuperGoose75 said:

Cheers 👍

Bring custard and fresh cream for the apple pie! I'll have a choice of mash or chips for the steak & kidney😃

Cheers 👍

That's a shame!  Surely a small one now and again would do no harm😉

i will bring flowers and have your babies......:drool:

10 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

I have never heard of a pie machine, how exactly does it work? 

It works on the same principle as a sandwich maker. Two hot plates that heat up and then it's a press and seal that cooks the pastry and heats the filling. But instead of using bread it's designed for pastry. The one I have is only for two pies, but you can get one that has the capacity to make 4 pies.

Edited by SuperGoose75

5 hours ago, Ian willetts said:

What a lovely aray of good looking pies the pie machine might just be a sound investment I think 

Cheers👍 They are not too pricey, and are versatile, so money well spent IMO

4 hours ago, Gameking said:

Venison Pie with swede.

PS The fruit pies and S&K look amazing 😁

IMG_20220706_185249_resized_20220928_092236550 venison pie and swede 2022.jpg

Nice rich looking gravy and filling there😋 The swede/turnip would be a nice accompaniment to balance out the richness. Clap-Shot would be ideal with Venison pie IMHO. Top marks for decoration also. The 🦌 is very well done.

11 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Have you got a link to them please 🙏 

Harry I got mine local to me and the brand is the well known Breville. It was reduced from £40 to £25. I'd say it is a very old model.

If you Google ''Pie Makers''  you will see an array of different brands on Amazon  ect...! There is a good looking ''Hairy Biker's'' one that  is around the £40 and it says it is a deep filled one, which will definitely be an added bonus as you will be able to get more filling in.

2 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Harry I got mine local to me and the brand is the well known Breville. It was reduced from £40 to £25. I'd say it is a very old model.

If you Google ''Pie Makers''  you will see an array of different brands on Amazon  ect...! There is a good looking ''Hairy Biker's'' one that  is around the £40 and it says it is a deep filled one, which will definitely be an added bonus as you will be able to get more filling in.

Thank you 👍👍👍

On 29/09/2022 at 12:04, harrycatcat1 said:

Looks the business that one 👍

3 hours ago, Gameking said:

Definitely not vegan !!!            BUT  3 cheese and onion pie ( Lancashire, Red Leicester, Mature cheddar)

IMG_20201007_190111_resized_20201008_091806164  3 cheese pie.jpg

That sounds delicious! I'm a real cheese head but suffer with crazy cheese dreams as a consequence. What type of vessel do you make your pies in?

OK, back to meat 🙄

Hare, Leek and mushroom with chips.

IMG_20210203_185952_resized_20210203_074006530 Hare Leek and Mushroom pie.jpg

IMG_20210203_190220_resized_20210203_074050218 hare pie , chips.jpg

On 30/09/2022 at 14:33, SuperGoose75 said:

Looks the business that one 👍

That sounds delicious! I'm a real cheese head but suffer with crazy cheese dreams as a consequence. What type of vessel do you make your pies in?

SG75

I have consulted the Director of Catering and she informs me she makes the pies with a metal pie tin with removable bottom😁.

I only put the stuff on the deck , she tranforms it into the above.