Bird Flu

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

reported again on the local news ....film of dead swans everywhere.............getting bad now..such a shame

Had a quick look at this week Shooting Times in Tesco's and there was a bit about some Pheasants in Norfolk have caught the virus , maybe someone on the forum who buy the S Ts can enlighten us as to weather this is the case .:drinks:

I personally find it odd to say the least that the new rabbit virus has devastated their numbers in various countries, then a short while back fishermen off the north east coast were saying that crustaceans were dying in large numbers (cause unknown), rivers have suffered ridulous levels of pollution due to shoddy management; now we have bird flu, apparently. So, the way things are going in brief, if you attempt to feed yourselves to alleviate food bills you possibly won't because there won't be much left to harvest. All in a very short time frame, has this occurred. 

Looks like total lockdown for domestic birds according to morning news.  If you just have one chicken then it must be penned.  A bit over the top in my view as all wild birds are free to roam and can spread the disease, so half a dozen free range chickens are not going to make much difference.  Sensible for commercial chicken/duck farmers keeping their stock under cover and sealed away from wild birds

It is a nasty disease and will take a fair few years for wildfowl numbers in particular building back. 

Yes and these amateur chicken owners along with geese and even more exotic birds e.g peacocks, take little or no notice and allow their birds to wander around on other peoples property even.  It really does need authorities to stamp down and whack a few serious fines on them.

Edited by Walker570

I had a tern flutter up beside me on the saltings, evening flight a few days back. sat just feet away. Behaving irrationally preening nesting, totally screwed up. Bird flu of that im pretty sure. I advised the ranger of same. As much as i love my fowling, whatever it takes to limit the impact this may have on the wildfowl is   my priority and i assume most other decent fowlers feel the same .I've no idea what impact it would have on the geese when they are in large numbers but i think it's safe to assume we are in very uncertain times when it comes to gregarious bird species