Gun for wildfowling

marcus94

2 hours ago, marcus94 said:

Going wildfowling for the first time soon so looking for a gun either side by side or semi auto up to £300.

I live in chesterfield and have transport 

Have you already got a gun Marcus ? , if you have then use that until you get to the type of fowling that you intend to carry out  and with you living in Chesterfield , what type of wild fowling do you intend doing , inland , coastal , flight ponds or decoying geese , the reason I ask is most guns are suitable by using the right cartridges and only taking on what you are shooting out if they are in range .

I use a 2 3/4 all the year round for everything , for duck I mainly use 32gm and for the odd goose I shoot now I keep a few 36 gm in my inside pocket .

I shot most of my duck and geese with a Midland side x side 3 inch although 90% of the cartridges used were 2 3/4 and very rare I felt under gunned .

No one gun will be suitable for all types of wild fowling , but one gun will be suitable for most .

GOOD LUCK. 

13 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Have you already got a gun Marcus ? , if you have then use that until you get to the type of fowling that you intend to carry out  and with you living in Chesterfield , what type of wild fowling do you intend doing , inland , coastal , flight ponds or decoying geese , the reason I ask is most guns are suitable by using the right cartridges and only taking on what you are shooting out if they are in range .

I use a 2 3/4 all the year round for everything , for duck I mainly use 32gm and for the odd goose I shoot now I keep a few 36 gm in my inside pocket .

I shot most of my duck and geese with a Midland side x side 3 inch although 90% of the cartridges used were 2 3/4 and very rare I felt under gunned .

No one gun will be suitable for all types of wild fowling , but one gun will be suitable for most .

GOOD LUCK. 

Good post.

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

GOOD LUCK. 

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I’ve got a Miroku mk38 that I use for clay shooting. I’m going to Spalding so I’m assuming it’ll be coastal.

I might just do that then what cartridges do you recommend? 
like I say this is totally new to me so any help much appreciated. 👍 

14 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Personally I’d not take my clay gun fowling.

You should get a functional semi for the money you’re looking at, failing that treat yourself to the Versamax on the guns for sale page 👍

Yes I would agree with that , if he is going coastal then he have to be prepared it could get dirty with mud and possibly get wet and his Miroku mk 38 look a tidy gun ., it is a good time to buy a cheap gun at the moment, and to make sure it will take steel .

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

My advice would be take the gun you are used to and buy some none toxic cartridges. Give the gun a good clean when you come back.

As we say around here "it'll be rate" 👍

what he really needs Harry is a Harington & Richards 10g Topper with a 36inch barrel 3.1/2 chamber firing 1.1/2 oz of steel BB s 👍💥:rolleyes:

I will upset people but I’m fancy, I have a separate gun for ‘fowling. A Baikal side by side in 2.75”. I’ve taken half a dozen different guns on the foreshore, side by sides do not open as wide so are less likely to get mud into the bite if you’re in a deep gutter. Also an older gun is likely to be loose, or a little off face so can deal with the odd grain of fine grit without seizing. Salt water is punishing so it helps if you aren’t overly precious. 

The guy I spoke to on the phone seemed a really happy chap and made you feel welcomed.

Tbh he did say don’t go buying all the gear till you’ve been a few times just fishing waders Or even just wellies and a gun. Just for the sake of a couple of quid I’d rate not worry damaging my current gun. 

9 minutes ago, marcus94 said:

The guy I spoke to on the phone seemed a really happy chap and made you feel welcomed.

Tbh he did say don’t go buying all the gear till you’ve been a few times just fishing waders Or even just wellies and a gun. Just for the sake of a couple of quid I’d rate not worry damaging my current gun. 

Top tip if you’re wearing waders cut the leg’s off some waterproof leggings and make them into long shorts 

that way you don’t get a wet seat 

also put your warm clothes in the rucksack and put them on when you get into position 

gun choice is up to you but you need to be familiar with it and confident in it 

go a few times and see if you like it 👍

6 minutes ago, marcus94 said:

Your first few trips out marcus will be a matter of looking and learning , you need to remember that wild fowling don't appeal to everybody and not all dusk and dawns are sights what you read about in books , some are but quite a few are not .

If you find after a few flights you are addicted then by all means get some of the standard gear you think will improve your chances and to make life more comfortable .

As for guns , if you are going to buy a gun for wildfowling then buy a all rounder so you can use it all the year round and not just for a few trips down the marsh .

Looking forward hearing about your first day out on the Spalding marshes .

16 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Top tip if you’re wearing waders cut the leg’s off some waterproof leggings and make them into long shorts 

that way you don’t get a wet seat 

also put your warm clothes in the rucksack and put them on when you get into position 

gun choice is up to you but you need to be familiar with it and confident in it 

go a few times and see if you like it 👍

I'm struggling to understand your top tip, how do you get a wet seat with waders on? Do you wear the legging under or over the waders? To me if you mean a wet backside then surely the waders are not doing there job.

1 hour ago, m greeny said:

I'm struggling to understand your top tip, how do you get a wet seat with waders on? Do you wear the legging under or over the waders? To me if you mean a wet backside then surely the waders are not doing there job.

Depending up on standing or sitting or resting on the edge of a gully 

lot of the shooting at spalding requires you to sit down 

over the waders 

you’ll work it out after your first time on the marsh in the rain 😊

14 hours ago, m greeny said:

I presume he means if you don't have chest waders and only have the ones that come to the top of your legs so you can fold them down when walking if that makes sense.