BASC (and other representative bodies) pointless and toothless?

grahamch

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

Its called networking Bruno - its a large part of what makes the world go round like it or not 

Better to have "friends" with benefits than enemies 

Do you ever engage with your MP ?

And how is this networking going? Are we seeing a reduction in red tape for licencing, are we seeing chief constables taken to court when they make up their own hoops for us to jump through? Are we seeing the proposed lead ban overturned?( That BASC supported) Shooting, in general, is in a far less stable condition than it was 25 years ago. Still, at least the old boys get a freebie at the members expense eh?

2 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

And how is this networking going? Are we seeing a reduction in red tape for licencing, are we seeing chief constables taken to court when they make up their own hoops for us to jump through? Are we seeing the proposed lead ban overturned?( That BASC supported) Shooting, in general, is in a far less stable condition than it was 25 years ago. Still, at least the old boys get a freebie at the members expense eh?

Pure speculation - if it was not for so much of this sort of thing shooting MAY not even still exist 

Friends in high places are friends indeed - sorry but thats how society works and indeed so much of business - they call it relationships 

Edited by jall25

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

glad I don’t have to give a mp thousands of pounds in free shooting just to call him a friend! 

And neither do i but if you cant see that having an MP or public figure going and enjoying fieldsports in open view is a positive then lets leave it there. Look at how the public has engaged with farming because Clarkson went and bought a farm - imagine if we could do a similar thing on a shoot - like they do on discovery with the Alaskans etc. I would have no problem "paying" for our sport to be promoted. MPs have influence and we are better with as many as we can in our camp.

12 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Pot, have you met the kettle.

Again i ask have you any idea about how business is actually done and the benefit of these high level relationships 

I wonder how many of you that actually sit here and whinge and moan are actually members of any organisation

6 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Again i ask have you any idea about how business is actually done and the benefit of these high level relationships 

I wonder how many of you that actually sit here and whinge and moan are actually members of any organisation

What has that got to do with you calling someone out for speculation, whilst speculating yourself.

Yes, I do know how business is done, but BASC, as you have pointed out is not a business.

No need to wonder with me anymore, as I have mentioned before I am a member of the NRA.

1 hour ago, captainhastings said:

Not read all this but these bodies need to do some thing to stop the steam roller that is constantly flattening our way of life instead of bending and just excepting crumbs 

And each of us as individuals should take on some responsibility to defend or promote our way of life - if that is taking the option of joining an organisation who will do a bit of that for you fair enough - i do this and also ensure i engage with politicians - members of the public to educate the best i can. 

Sitting moaning that other people are not doing enough or we dont like the way we think we are being represented is not enough - BASC et all have elections - read the manifestos - and vote - or put yourselves forward - Now is the time. 

Regards 

2 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

What has that got to do with you calling someone out for speculation, whilst speculating yourself.

Yes, I do know how business is done, but BASC, as you have pointed out is not a business.

No need to wonder with me anymore, as I have mentioned before I am a member of the NRA.

Good for you 

My post was RHETORICAL ie MAY 

1 hour ago, jall25 said:

Pure speculation - if it was not for so much of this sort of thing shooting MAY not even still exist 

Friends in high places are friends indeed - sorry but thats how society works and indeed so much of business - they call it relationships 

Pure speculation, you know that for a fact? Maybe you should do a little digging before making such statements. Again friends in high places - where has that got shooting over the last 10 years?

Edited by bruno22rf

15 minutes ago, jall25 said:

member of two mate so with starmer now breathing down our neck good luck with your so called friends especially if they are tory mps because keeping their company is really going to finish us now 

30 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Pure speculation, you know that for a fact? Maybe you should do a little digging before making such statements. Again friends in high places - where has that got shooting over the last 10 years?

I do know to be honest 

I have had our MPs out to our shoot - has it helped im not sure - but i can honestly say it has not hindered.

If its not helped shooting straightaway it has certainly improved the local community as issues surrounding poaching/ off road bikes have been acted upon.

What would you propose then Bruno ?

30 minutes ago, clangerman said:

member of two mate so with starmer now breathing down our neck good luck with your so called friends especially if they are tory mps because keeping their company is really going to finish us now 

Maybe - or is now the time to grasp the nettle and engage with Labour MPs who are pro shooting and conservation ? - i have been trying for the last few months with my local one 

44 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

What would you guys suggest then if we did not have a BASC or NGO etc etc ?

Would you like to see a more political organisation like the American NRA ?

9 hours ago, jall25 said:

What would you guys suggest then if we did not have a BASC or NGO etc etc ?

Would you like to see a more political organisation like the American NRA ?

That would be nice, but as scully has said, it's not going to happen.

But one not calling for a Lead ban would be a start, or perhaps one that consults it membership first....

13 hours ago, jall25 said:

I do know to be honest 

I have had our MPs out to our shoot - has it helped im not sure - but i can honestly say it has not hindered.

If its not helped shooting straightaway it has certainly improved the local community as issues surrounding poaching/ off road bikes have been acted upon.

Maybe - or is now the time to grasp the nettle and engage with Labour MPs who are pro shooting and conservation ? - i have been trying for the last few months with my local one 

unfortunately I consider them all little more than thieves so pointless engaging with think we are now pretty much done with starmer certain to gain power 

41 minutes ago, clangerman said:

unfortunately I consider them all little more than thieves so pointless engaging with think we are now pretty much done with starmer certain to gain power 

For my money Starmer has the charisma of a dead damp haddock, but that speech at the TUC Congress yesterday which was televised is what if anything will do for us.

18 hours ago, jall25 said:

I do know to be honest 

Like you say - you do not kn if it has helped or not, so how much of members subs did the days shooting cost, you must know if it's your shoot?, and how many of those MP's go year after year and are shooting men in the first place? If any are then they are pretty much already guaranteed to be pro shooting? Or would they turn into an anti if they stopped getting their jollies? As for what I would propose, that's a totally irrelevant question as I'm not the one taking peoples money then blowing my trumpet about all the great work I do, 

17 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Like you say - you do not kn if it has helped or not, so how much of members subs did the days shooting cost, you must know if it's your shoot?, and how many of those MP's go year after year and are shooting men in the first place? If any are then they are pretty much already guaranteed to be pro shooting? Or would they turn into an anti if they stopped getting their jollies? As for what I would propose, that's a totally irrelevant question as I'm not the one taking peoples money then blowing my trumpet about all the great work I do, 

No you are just some negative troll on the internet - Good day 

Not sure about that TC - asked a civil question 

No real answer  

Our MPs came on a none shoot day - so it cost nothing - they went away however with a better opinion on shooting and conservation than they came with. - I have also had members of the council come local and borough and the same result. I have taken round young surveyors / children with parents from the local schools etc etc - If we dont ALL stand up for our sport then yes it may well be gone.

As i say Bruno what do you do ? Try something positive