Broadband deals

mgsontour

Good afternoon all

I've just become out of contract with my broadband provider BT ( unsure whether that's a good or bad thing at the moment ) but non-the-less, I was wondering if any members have landed a decent deal lately?

My current package is BT's Fibre 1 which gives me about 70Mbps and paying this month £38 from £32, evidently because it's now unsubsidised as I', out of contract.

They have offered me the same for £24 but the sticky point its for a 2 year contract. 

Look forward to anyone's recent experiences in the battlefield of Broadband suppilers

Cheers

Just don't go with NOW broadband - No support, nigh on impossible to contact

Shell has been OK for us - since coming off NOW - we did have a major issue but that turned out to be that a local box had got flooded which affected the power so OpenReach were using batteries - except they weren't replacing them regularly enough - went on for about 2 weeks and then they put a genny in until it was fixed. So to that point was the lack of information passed on when your phoning up going ape scat while you have teenage lads going mad at you!!

12 minutes ago, discobob said:

Shell has been OK for us - since coming off NOW - we did have a major issue but that turned out to be that a local box had got flooded which affected the power so OpenReach were using batteries - except they weren't replacing them regularly enough - went on for about 2 weeks and then they put a genny in until it was fixed. So to that point was the lack of information passed on when your phoning up going ape scat while you have teenage lads going mad at you!!

I know people slate NOW but I switched to them from BT a year ago and had no problems at all, very fast speeds and landline calls for £20 a month, plus I got £75 quid back off a cashback site. so far so good

25 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

I know people slate NOW but I switched to them from BT a year ago and had no problems at all, very fast speeds and landline calls for £20 a month, plus I got £75 quid back off a cashback site. so far so good

There is a Facebook group for how bad their service is - mind you I suppose there is for most things - but our service was terrible while we were with them

Virgin cable? Had for many years in Bristol. Conclusion: expensive but good. Because they own the infrastructure upto and including the box in your house, there isn’t this woeful ISP/Openreach interface that plagues DSL. So get if you can & the price is right, don’t let the installer leave till he’s demonstrated a working connection on your device.

Over many years I experienced  little to no downtime.

It’s also technically a better connection than the kludge that is DSL, the only better option is fibre, and by that I mean what the marketing a-holes will insist on referring to as ‘full fibre’ or fibre to the premises. 

12 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Virgin cable? Had for many years in Bristol. Conclusion: expensive but good. Because they own the infrastructure upto and including the box in your house, there isn’t this woeful ISP/Openreach interface that plagues DSL. So get if you can & the price is right, don’t let the installer leave till he’s demonstrated a working connection on your device.

Over many years I experienced  little to no downtime.

It’s also technically a better connection than the kludge that is DSL, the only better option is fibre, and by that I mean what the marketing a-holes will insist on referring to as ‘full fibre’ or fibre to the premises. 

Yes they laid cables all down the street a couple of years ago. Only thing is they dig the garden up from the road to the house to lay the cable and I have 6 roses all down where they would dig. The price is not bad about £27 for 100 mb whatevers for 18 months but then the price goes up to 50 odd quid and then it's disconnection so I lose interest. If it wasn't so much faff I'd consider it. 👍

On 11/10/2022 at 07:45, Loki said:

Hi

Worth trawling who may be about to provide Fibreoptic option in your area - probably best deal you will get as they will want new customers.

L

Doesn't the fibre optic option end at your nearest BT box, then rely on copper wire?

57 minutes ago, old man said:

Doesn't the fibre optic option end at your nearest BT box, then rely on copper wire?

Fttp -  which is fibre to the premises, takes fibre all the way into your property and then you plug the router into the box on wall (I have this at home) 

Edited by Spr1985

On 11/10/2022 at 10:49, discobob said:

Strangely we were with bt for years and it was absolutly awful every other week we were trying to get them to make our broadband work. We switched to now 8 years ago, faultless is all i can say, apart from one instance where our broadband was popping in and out, we called the help line, got a very nice real person, tests done and a new box sent out which arrived the next day, our contract ended 3 weeks ago, we just keep the same plan on a rolling monthly plan, really can't fault them.

On 11/10/2022 at 13:49, harrycatcat1 said:

We have the cables on the front footpath for Virgin, has anyone had any experience of them?

I’ve had numerous arguments on the phone about it dropping out but the last engineer seems to of fixed it . 220 speed majority of the time which is great for gaming or watching films .

we have upto 20 appliances tho sometimes  .

alexa in each bedroom plus kitchen (5) 

4 mobiles 

laptop 

pc for work 

kids pads ( 6 kids between us 😂😂

4 TVs streaming 

23 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Only thing is they dig the garden up from the road to the house to lay the cable and I have 6 roses all down where they would dig. The price is not bad about £27 for 100 mb whatevers for 18 months but then the price goes up to 50 odd quid and then it's disconnection so I lose interest. If it wasn't so much faff I'd consider it.

This actually worked in my favour in the place in Bristol, in that I knew I was going to re-do the drive.  So I got them to give me some slack in the cable, which they protected in green conduit.  Then, when the drive was redone, I was able to take the cable, bury it sensibly after the builders finished work for the day, and make a tidy job of it.  Importantly, I was able to do this without interruption to service which enabled me to continue working.

Anyway, I'd still consider going the cable route if you can.  Maybe dig the trench yourself, pop some conduit down there with a drawstring.  Then they can just pull in their cable.

21 hours ago, welsh1 said:

Strangely we were with bt for years and it was absolutly awful every other week we were trying to get them to make our broadband work. We switched to now 8 years ago, faultless is all i can say, apart from one instance where our broadband was popping in and out, we called the help line, got a very nice real person, tests done and a new box sent out which arrived the next day, our contract ended 3 weeks ago, we just keep the same plan on a rolling monthly plan, really can't fault them.

My experience of BT over problems always resulted in the threat of a hefty charge if the fault was mine. Not having a background in electronics i riled me a bit so I left. However as they own the infrastructural monopoly all telephone cable broadband a problem?

8 hours ago, team tractor said:

I’ve had numerous arguments on the phone about it dropping out but the last engineer seems to of fixed it . 220 speed majority of the time which is great for gaming or watching films .

we have upto 20 appliances tho sometimes  .

alexa in each bedroom plus kitchen (5) 

4 mobiles 

laptop 

pc for work 

kids pads ( 6 kids between us 😂😂

4 TVs streaming 

TT. You must love Google and co vacuuming up information 24/7?

11 minutes ago, old man said:

My experience of BT over problems always resulted in the threat of a hefty charge if the fault was mine. Not having a background in electronics i riled me a bit so I left. However as they own the infrastructural monopoly all telephone cable broadband a problem?

They used to do the same with us, then they discovered one of the junctions buried at the end of our road had been repaired wrongly and people were sharing lines, so they fixed it, a week later other bt engineers turned up and dug the junction up putting the digger blade through it destroying it, the street had 4 days of nothing while they repaired it, speaking to one of the repair team they were bemused why one team had fixed the junction and another team were sent out to fix the same junction which led to it being destroyed.
There is a facebook page about bt they get slated so much, they have to be the worst out there.

It was so bad with us that 6pm every night the BB would go off for an hour, bt's reasoning lots of people were on line. Strangely since we moved supplier it has never dropped out at that time.

2 hours ago, old man said:

TT. You must love Google and co vacuuming up information 24/7?

Nothing interesting in my house . Alexa play clubbing music . 
I don’t worry about things like that . 
my daughter enjoys a bed time story on hers and my son watches peppa pig or Matilda 😀
everywhere you go it’s tracked on gps, phone , cctv 

9 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

This actually worked in my favour in the place in Bristol, in that I knew I was going to re-do the drive.  So I got them to give me some slack in the cable, which they protected in green conduit.  Then, when the drive was redone, I was able to take the cable, bury it sensibly after the builders finished work for the day, and make a tidy job of it.  Importantly, I was able to do this without interruption to service which enabled me to continue working.

Anyway, I'd still consider going the cable route if you can.  Maybe dig the trench yourself, pop some conduit down there with a drawstring.  Then they can just pull in their cable.

I will have to have a think about it but thanks 👍👍

13 hours ago, team tractor said:

Nothing interesting in my house . Alexa play clubbing music . 
I don’t worry about thin gs like that . 
my daughter enjoys a bed time story on hers and my son watches peppa pig or Matilda 😀
everywhere you go it’s tracked on gps, phone , cctv 

Betcha? 😜