Royal Mail

Minky

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get some parcels by various carriers, Evri, DPD, UPS, Fed Ex, DHL, Parcel2Go, Royal Mail and of course Amazon.  One point that stands out is how good most of the tracking is these days.  Often you get a time slot and sometimes a location map showing you and the van.  It needs a tracking number - but most senders supply these.  It is great as you can plan your dog walk or whatever to be 'in'.

However, for me, the Royal Mail one often either cannot identify the number, or says that you will only be advised when they have delivered (or attempted to deliver) the parcel - which rather defeats the object.  I find that they are way behind the others in this area.

Im no sure if there better or worse than any other courier , i stay in central scotland and buy off some sites and ebay and although you are given a delivery date stuff seldom comes on a given date . Its like i life in the highland stuff turns up to a week late i think since covid customer care has went down the tubes and companies really don't care now 

Going back a few years (about 15 - before being able to track was a thing) I had an interview for a gig at a national couriers (orange colour comes to mind) and I brought up in the interview about being able to track mail and supply reports to the shippers/customers by scanning barcodes on packages - I didn't get the gig but I do wonder if I should be a millionaire!!!!

2 hours ago, discobob said:

Going back a few years (about 15 - before being able to track was a thing) I had an interview for a gig at a national couriers (orange colour comes to mind) and I brought up in the interview about being able to track mail and supply reports to the shippers/customers by scanning barcodes on packages - I didn't get the gig but I do wonder if I should be a millionaire!!!!

Why - For having an idea that was already 'a thing' at the time you suggested it?  Why next you'll be suggesting we mount wheels to the bottom of our shoes, so that we can ice skate without needing ice.   😂

3 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Why - For having an idea that was already 'a thing' at the time you suggested it?  Why next you'll be suggesting we mount wheels to the bottom of our shoes, so that we can ice skate without needing ice.   😂

It wasn't a thing back then - you had to rely on Royal Mail to update the computer when they went back at best - this was scanning at the various points - collection, sorting depot, delivery depot - van - point of delivery 

Just like we get nowadays :)

1 minute ago, discobob said:

It wasn't a thing back then

I think we may need to define our terms here.

You're suggesting courier drivers having data terminals which provided live feedback to HQ and thus could be shared with customers, wasn't a thing 15yrs ago?  It definitely was.  Joe Public may or may not have had access to this.  I was certainly tracking the whereabouts of my shipments in the early noughties.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I think we may need to define our terms here.

You're suggesting courier drivers having data terminals which provided live feedback to HQ and thus could be shared with customers, wasn't a thing 15yrs ago?  It definitely was.  Joe Public may or may not have had access to this.  I was certainly tracking the whereabouts of my shipments in the early noughties.

Well, considering that the gig was for doing a reporting portal solution for their customers just to say they had received or delivered their parcel..... It obviously wasn't in use by them - it was the same company who was trying to take door to door mail off of RM - quick google - TNT - now Whistl

Edited by discobob

I know somebody who ran a little business selling secondhand model railway bits and pieces on ebay 

It was never going to make him rich but it ticked along 

Gradually the problems with getting stuff delivered reliably became too much for him and packed it in. That was a few years ago now so it's nothing new

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Well, that’s clever. RM have today delivered the same item as they said that they had delivered on Saturday.

That's good; I am waiting for a 1st class signed for despatched last Friday ......... no sign at present.  If nothing tomorrow, they are then on strike again Thursday and Friday ......

Last time I bought a semi via RFD it took nearly two weeks to arrive because of RM strikes and shop closures. Just bought another via RFD and more damn strikes. So frustrating, as I like using RM, my local postie is a nice guy and helps where he can with picking up and delivering parcels, but these strikes have got silly now to the point that I am sending letters via DPD just because they'll actually deliver it.

5 minutes ago, Pops_Hants said:

my local postie is a nice guy and helps where he can with picking up and delivering parcels

The same for me - but he can only deliver what comes into the delivery office - and 'next day' service for 1st class and recorded etc. is simply not working at present.

I have to say - on the usual (nice) local guy's 'days off' - it is complete pot luck whose mail is thrust through your door!  I really believe one of the 'stand ins' must have reading difficulties.

10 minutes ago, Pops_Hants said:

Last time I bought a semi via RFD it took nearly two weeks to arrive because of RM strikes and shop closures. Just bought another via RFD and more damn strikes. So frustrating, as I like using RM, my local postie is a nice guy and helps where he can with picking up and delivering parcels, but these strikes have got silly now to the point that I am sending letters via DPD just because they'll actually deliver it.

Same here bought a book got my tracking number and put it in to get a message  RM are on strike 24, 25 , 26 and 1st of december 

I remember when i was atwork the mailroom guys had to go to the RM depot to pick up the mail on a saturday morning as if it was first class the royal mail had to deliver it within 24 hours now they don't seem to care 

Well - my parcels (despatched 17th and 18th - one first class signed for) didn't arrive today again.  I waited in all day as a signature is needed, but no sign of a van, and on walking to the two post boxes this evening - next collection is still showing as Wednesday - so I don't think there have been any deliveries today.  They are on strike Thursday (tomorrow) and Friday - and I will be out on Saturday, so looks like another week lost.

As above with all comments, I think Royal Mail / parcel force are probably one of the best courier services, relatively well priced, they collected from my doorstep and deliver it to the next doorstep all within 24 hours.

The strikes however are becoming a joke, it is clear that RM cannot afford what the CWU are asking, and yet the CWU just stick a finger up and announce 10 more days of strikes. This is not about Royal Mail trying to stiff the little man so to speak, but actually to try and keep up with the competition, who will run them out of town before long if CWU continue to call strike action.

Who's going to courier my guns then? 🤨

1 minute ago, Pops_Hants said:

I think Royal Mail / parcel force are probably one of the best courier services, relatively well priced, they collected from my doorstep and deliver it to the next doorstep all within 24 hours.

I would have agreed with that until quite recent times.  Many 1st class do still come next day, but the number that don't is rising steeply.

Personal experience has been much less good recently (the last year or more, not just strike times).  Many items sent 1st class taking 5 working days plus.  Two tracked parcels 'lost without trace'.  I even had a Christmas card posted 15th December 2019 .......... delivered in March 2020.

I am currently waiting for a 1st class post parcel signed for posted (150 miles away) on 18th November - and tracking still showing "this will only be updated when we attempt to deliver the item" - so far been 5 working days, and another parcel posted 17th Nov and not yet delivered (6 working days).

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

I would have agreed with that until quite recent times.  Many 1st class do still come next day, but the number that don't is rising steeply.

Personal experience has been much less good recently (the last year or more, not just strike times).  Many items sent 1st class taking 5 working days plus.  Two tracked parcels 'lost without trace'.  I even had a Christmas card posted 15th December 2019 .......... delivered in March 2020.

I am currently waiting for a 1st class post parcel signed for posted (150 miles away) on 18th November - and tracking still showing "this will only be updated when we attempt to deliver the item" - so far been 5 working days, and another parcel posted 17th Nov and not yet delivered (6 working days).

Sorry to hear about all the troubles you've had, it does sound like there is a particular issue in your area. Perhaps the address is either in the sticks a bit, or a new build causing some confusion, or you've just got a bunch of muppets in your local hub, that would be a shame!

7 minutes ago, Pops_Hants said:

Sorry to hear about all the troubles you've had, it does sound like there is a particular issue in your area. Perhaps the address is either in the sticks a bit, or a new build causing some confusion, or you've just got a bunch of muppets in your local hub, that would be a shame!

We are very rural.  But the actual regular postie is very good and a very helpful chap.  However one of his 'day off' replacements is very poor.  Yesterday I was waiting in for the 'signed for'.  Our post can come anytime between about midday and 15:30.  At 16:00 I walked to the post box and it still had the ticket for 'next collection' showing WEDS - i.e. it hadn't yet been serviced that day.  Assuming this may have been an oversight - I later checked the other local post box and that also showed WEDS - and although I was looking out, I didn't see a post van at all.  Now I know they are short staffed at present, but it looks like our whole round (including emptying boxes) was missed yesterday??

Edit: Was a 'new build' around 230 years ago!

Edited by JohnfromUK

Properly fed up with Royal Mail now, 
Second time this year I've bought a gun via RFD and the strikes have played havoc with it. This time, it was posted yesterday, express AM, didn't even make it to the central hub, and now it won't arrive until Friday and I am leaving for the weekend early on Friday.

I wish there was an alternative for sending RFD transfers but it appears parcel force is the only one

Whatever sympathy I had for posties and their strike again has evaporated with the level of current and proposed strikes, trying to hold the country to ransom. 

Anyway, rant over