Royal Mail

Minky

Bought a pinlock insert for my bike visor yesterday, i had the option of RM next day delivery or DPD next day delivery, Chose DPD. DPD deliver a lot of equipment to me for work, always can track the driver even down to how many stops he is away, always polite  and no dramas.
RM are killing themselves with these strikes.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, welsh1 said:

Bought a pinlock insert for my bike visor yesterday, i had the option of RM next day delivery or DPD next day delivery, Chose DPD. DPD deliver a lot of equipment to me for work, always can track the driver even down to how many stops he is away, always polite  and no dramas.
RM are killing themselves with these strikes.

I sent my certificate for the RFD via DPD next day, it was a strike day so knew RM wouldn't deliver.

I agree, CWU will be the end of royal mail, I get they want a fair pay rise, but at the moment there won't be a company for pay rises if they continue striking.

During the war, in 1941, my mother's first husband proposed to my mother by post, posted the letter early that morning (from Lincolnshire to Lincolnshire) and got her acceptance back, by post, the same day. For back then there were THREE deliveries a day. And even I can remember "second post" delivery. So what went wrong? Greedy politicians ending the Royal Mail monopoly on letters so that their cronies could cream off the profitable city runs and leave Royal Mail the unprofitable rural deliveries. Nowadays what's left has pretty much in any case been killed by the internet and by email.  

Edited by enfieldspares

3 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

During the war, in 1941, my mother's first husband proposed to my mother by post, posted the letter early that morning (from Lincolnshire to Lincolnshire) and got her acceptance back, by post, the same day. For back then there were THREE deliveries a day. And even I can remember "second post" delivery. So what went wrong? Greedy politicians ending the Royal Mail monopoly on letters so that their cronies could cream off the profitable city runs and leave Royal Mail the unprofitable rural deliveries. Nowadays what's left has pretty much in any case been killed by the internet and by email.  

Did he mange to get a conformation of acceptance back to her on the 3rd post.?  It would be bad if he was aircrew and got shot down over Germany  that night.

2 hours ago, Minky said:

That's a shame.  And did he eventually return.?

No. His name is here, My mother was one of those, the War Widows, who as an invitee attended its dedication in 1958. I did so in 2019 making the short drive from Bisley Ranges on behalf of my mother (who remarried after WWII and who died in 2014) on the seventy-fifth anniversary of her then husband's death:

https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/3695/Brookwood-1939-1945-Memorial-Memorial-to-the-Missing.htm

The BROOKWOOD 1939-1945 MEMORIAL commemorates nearly 3,500 men and women of the land forces of the Commonwealth who died during the Second World War and have no known grave, the circumstances of their death being such that they could not appropriately be commemorated on any of the campaign memorials in the various theatres of war. They died in the campaign in Norway in 1940, or in the various raids on enemy occupied territory in Europe such as Dieppe and St Nazaire. Others were special agents who died as prisoners or while working with Allied underground movements. Some died at sea, in hospital ships and troop transports, in waters not associated with the major campaigns, and a few were killed in flying accidents or in aerial combat. The Memorial was designed by Ralph Hobday and unveiled by Queen Elizabeth II on 25 October 1958.

Edited by enfieldspares

Although my grandfather is planted (WW 1) out in France near Bethune, his name along with others is on a plaque on the war memorial in Alexandra park  Hastings which was his home town.  A wasted life.  Pretty much the same as my father who served in the jungles of Burma. Although he did come home the experience and privations of such hard warfare conditions took their toll on him.  He went out a very fit young man, married with two children and came back a wreck that I dont think that he ever fully recovered from.  No coucilling back then.

Edited by Minky

On 29/11/2022 at 18:42, Pops_Hants said:

I sent my certificate for the RFD via DPD next day, it was a strike day so knew RM wouldn't deliver.

I agree, CWU will be the end of royal mail, I get they want a fair pay rise, but at the moment there won't be a company for pay rises if they continue striking.

High time HM pulled the 'Royal' plug.

On 29/11/2022 at 18:47, enfieldspares said:

True in being stripped out?

I am waiting for a parcel that was collected AM 22nd Nov, still somewhere in the ether? Will never use if an alternative from now.

With a window in the strikes I whacked off a Special Delivery forking out £6.85 for a next day before 1pm guaranteed (that's not our idea of the meaning, but RM's interpretation). Even helped out by having the wife post the envelope in Bath - a third of the way to Leics - while going to Bath Christmas market. It really should have arrived by 1pm yesterday but there's still no sign of it.

Then, yesterday, I realised why - they're too busy delivering their own junk mail which I did get yesterday. :mad:

Oh, forgot, they also left a load of mail which was clearly addressed to next door for us to deliver for them.

Royal-Mail-2.jpg

Edited by wymberley

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

With a window in the strikes I whacked off a Special Delivery forking out £6.85 for a next day before 1pm guaranteed (that's not our idea of the meaning, but RM's interpretation). Even helped out by having the wife post the envelope in Bath - a third of the way to Leics - while going to Bath Christmas market. It really should have arrived by 1pm yesterday but there's still no sign of it.

Then, yesterday, I realised why - they're too busy delivering their own junk mail which I did get yesterday. 

Oh, forgot, they also left a load of mail which was clearly addressed to next door for us to deliver for them.

Royal-Mail-2.jpg

Another round of one day strikes have just been mentioned on the news in the build up for Christmas and the R M have brought there post early dates forward by a day or so .

I posted a pair of boots signed for on the 29th of November and up till now there is no sign of them , the lady at the post office said they are in the system and the first class is taking priority so second class signed for are piling up with very little signs of being delivered .

I received 3 cards yesterday (8th Dec) - 2 postmarked on 6th second class and the third the postmark is illegible.  So 2 days for second class seems pretty good.

I note that the local Firearms Dept are now requiring all post to them to be recorded delivery.  I posted one to them today (notification of transfer) - surprised Post Office was open, but it was - and it was £2.08 for a second class simple letter on that service.

7 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Another round of one day strikes have just been mentioned on the news in the build up for Christmas and the R M have brought there post early dates forward by a day or so .

I posted a pair of boots signed for on the 29th of November and up till now there is no sign of them , the lady at the post office said they are in the system and the first class is taking priority so second class signed for are piling up with very little signs of being delivered .

Yep. My envelope finally arrived a couple of hours ago. I really can't see the point in them touting for extra business when, strikes or not, they can't manage the existing level satisfactorily. Someone with some clout needs to read them their tealeaves.

30 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I note that the local Firearms Dept are now requiring all post to them to be recorded delivery.  I posted one to them today (notification of transfer) - surprised Post Office was open, but it was - and it was £2.08 for a second class simple letter on that service.

Thankfully Merseyside Firearms Department are virtually ALL on line now, from renewals to notification of sale or transfer. I complete the on line proforma, then get confirmation of their receipt, which I always print and keep, along with any paperwork the RFD has given me. Should any problems arise in the future, I can simply attach a copy of the original receipt and the RFD paperwork. I have nothing but praise for their expertise and proficiency in dealing with my all too many sales and acquisitions of shotguns.

Back on track (pun intended)  I am awaiting delivery of some gun cleaning stuff, which has been with RM, tracked to the local depot, for 4 weeks  ?    🙄 

They just happen to be on strike again today too.

Edited by Westley

20 hours ago, Westley said:

Thankfully Merseyside Firearms Department are virtually ALL on line now, from renewals to notification of sale or transfer.

I don't wish to go too far off topic, but West Mercia also do an online - and I tried to use it. 

It depends on a 3rd party site called PDFfiller.  Filled in the form and tried to save it and it will only allow that if you register.  Started registering - and it then demanded I enable cookies (which I'm reluctant to do) - and finally came to the crunch ....... despite offering a 'free' trial, it wanted $8 a month minimum for the most basic level service ($20 for 'standard' service).  Ultimately, I was unable to do anything useful without paying, nor determine if the $8 basic would allow for any 'signing' West Mercia needed.

Not worth while for my very occasional needs, so Royal Mail won that one.

I fail to comprehend why they ask for recorded delivery as it isn't worth  bean. Any squiggle will pass as a signature and they might still deny receipt.

I got shut down off FB for saying about the Postal strike that the workers no delete that the employed will never achieve any thing as the bosses and unions sit on the same fence and the employed will never get  back what wages they have lost,I speak to our Postie he was miffed that what they were offered will not bring their wage up to what the agency workers get he could not understand that money is offset on tax,we are in a cul de sac near large expensive houses which get their deliveries 8am-9.00am where we have 1.00pm or 3.00pm deliveries  same postie ,I always joke "what o'l biddy you sorting out then" also nothing at weekends as our road is out of their way then Monday a back log of rubbish brochures etc oh for a log burner cheap fuel.

36 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I fail to comprehend why they ask for recorded delivery as it isn't worth  bean. Any squiggle will pass as a signature and they might still deny receipt.

I don't know why they do, but very clearly in bold red type "The notice shall be sent by Registered Post/Recorded delivery."  Using their 'online' pdf system seems to involve signing up to an $8 a month 3rd party system.

I suspect that this is the usual 'how can we make the simple be hard for these troublesome gun owners'.

Could it possibly just be that a few years ago, recorded delivery at least stood a chance of being delivered. As for the signature, well, they just do NOT get one. The Firearms Department is likely to be contained within the HQ building and therefore Postman Pat will get no further than the entrance foyer. The front 'desk' usually being manned by a Commissioner. At Lancashire HQ  the mail is left at the gatehouse  !

I think most of it depends on your local delivery people, I've lived in several areas over the years and used virtually all the couriers and without doubt I've found it often just depends on the person they've employed and how diligent they are.

Although there has definitely been a drop in service across all services in recent years, no doubt due to the competition by rival companies trying to win work by squeezing their margins. You only need to look at how some multi drop employees drive to see that.