Steel + choke mods + .410

mattsccm

Please excuse any errors in my thinking. I am darn sure that I am missing a hell of a lot.

My limited reading tells me that steel shot works better with a more open choke. Maybe, never tried it. As we know most .410s without variable chokes are quite tight to say the least. This leads me to think that, come the day when lead has gone , our .410s will not be patterning as well. So, is this the opportunity to lop the ends off the 28" barrels of my Mossberg/New Haven without the results being as dire as they currently would be with lead. (with the mod on it's musket like!)

Lets assume .410 steel exists and avoid other expensive lead alteratives. 

Just idle musings whilst in the bath last night.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, mattsccm said:

Please excuse any errors in my thinking. I am darn sure that I am missing a hell of a lot.

My limited reading tells me that steel shot works better with a more open choke. Maybe, never tried it. As we know most .410s without variable chokes are quite tight to say the least. This leads me to think that, come the day when lead has gone , our .410s will not be patterning as well. So, is this the opportunity to lop the ends off the 28" barrels of my Mossberg/New Haven without the results being as dire as they currently would be with lead. (with the mod on it's musket like!)

4.10 steel exists 

however I’d be inclined to leave it alone until we know exactly what the new legislation brings 

AA23B08D-A242-4016-9665-FB7D79A7F4F6.jpeg

2 hours ago, mattsccm said:

Steel works in a 410 within very narrow parameters.

3/8oz of steel fills up a TPS wad (the only suitable wad manufactured).

UK no6 steel (US no7) is the most suitable size that still has a pattern and penetrates to 25 yards.

Powders are more limited in an already limited market.

Min diameter of choke would be 0.400 inch and even that is probably not required at ranges to be shot at of 25 yards and under where cylinder would do.

UK sources of components are currently about ZERO.

2 and 2.5 guns would be obsolete overnight as only 3inch guns have the volume and pressure rating to cope.

7 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

As steel is too hard for. 410 s in general irrespective  of choke  .its said that shooting steel .410s isn't safe  and as such we are all hoping for a exemption  for .410s so they can continue  to use lead carts .same with airgun pellets .

Fingers crossed  

18 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Any .410 with ported Barrels ,shooting steel could be a big issue if they snag or get jammed going down the bore .again I speculate  but I wouldn't try it ,I value my face and fingers too much .

You are making up imaginary problems....

Steel is by no way ideal for shooting in a 410 due to the limited volume of even the 3 inch case but it is as perfectly safe as any other bore.

30 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

You are making up imaginary problems....

Steel is by no way ideal for shooting in a 410 due to the limited volume of even the 3 inch case but it is as perfectly safe as any other bore.

In a ported barrel ?   with 5mm holes drilled along it . What happens when those steel balls hit the edge of the steel ports ?  I know the lead shot gets a slice taken off it . 

Have you tried it ? 

If there is a full cup  plas wad it may separate  the steel shot from the ports somewhat .but many .410 plas wads are just bungs  so the shot runs up the bore in direct contact with the walls and any porting .

It's a concern of mine .maybe you know more and can enlighten us .

5 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

In a ported barrel ?   with 5mm holes drilled along it . What happens when those steel balls hit the edge of the steel ports ?  I know the lead shot gets a slice taken off it . 

Have you tried it ? 

If there is a full cup  plas wad it may separate  the steel shot from the ports somewhat .but many .410 plas wads are just bungs  so the shot runs up the bore in direct contact with the walls and any porting .

It's a concern of mine .maybe you know more and can enlighten us .

Which gun has 5mm holes as ‘ports’? 

8 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Mossberg .hushpower pump 

Baikal  hushpower   single shot 

Pedretti  hushpower 

Yildiz  hushpower 

Mossberg 500 stealth .

And the 20b and 12b  versions too 

If you search  

Mossberg .410 barrel port images  it comes straight up .

Ah, with you! Not that familiar with moderated shotguns; I thought you meant a regular barrel. 👍

Obviously  on a gas operated semi auto there are usually just 2 small (2.5 mm ish ) holes on the underside to cycle the action . These I doubt would cause much issue with steel shot .but on a mossberg there are 12 holes drilled along the last 8 inches or so of the barrel  6 on either side of around 5 mm in diameter  .

Not sure about the full length shrouded barrels of the yildiz and pedretti .probably more holes . 

Stone Park will be along soon to enlighten us on the effect of 2.6 steel shot hitting the edge of these holes and what effect it will have on the ports  shape over time and the pressure exerted on the barrel walls and also the damage to the steel shot and hence pattern shape. 

I can understand Ultrastu’s concern - now that I know it’s about moderated 410s. What we should be pushing for, is a pragmatic approach around future shot type legislation, so that this lovely little caliber doesn’t become extinct….!!

I think allowing the 410 to continue as a lead cartridge gun for vermin is a reasonable ask. 

1 minute ago, Fellside said:

I can understand Ultrastu’s concern - now that I know it’s about moderated 410s. What we should be pushing for, is a pragmatic approach around future shot type legislation, so that this lovely little caliber doesn’t become extinct….!!

I think allowing the 410 to continue as a lead cartridge gun for vermin is a reasonable ask. 

👍

Absolutely  .it's not like loads of people spend all weekend claypigeon shooting with .410s or firing loads of rounds on a driven day .

They are small  use vermin control guns for the most part and I doubt that would change even if they were the only Calibre to be allowed to continue using lead .

I have gone straight to bismuth. OK it is expensive but in the full cost of my annual pilgimage to a few driven bird estates each year it is irrelevant. Just have to cut back on the other uneeded items to cover it.   410s are a different breed to other gauges and pressures rise very quickly, that is why when reloading you need to be very precise.

I would not consider shooting steel at all.

23 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Obviously  on a gas operated semi auto there are usually just 2 small (2.5 mm ish ) holes on the underside to cycle the action . These I doubt would cause much issue with steel shot .but on a mossberg there are 12 holes drilled along the last 8 inches or so of the barrel  6 on either side of around 5 mm in diameter  .

Not sure about the full length shrouded barrels of the yildiz and pedretti .probably more holes . 

Stone Park will be along soon to enlighten us on the effect of 2.6 steel shot hitting the edge of these holes and what effect it will have on the ports  shape over time and the pressure exerted on the barrel walls and also the damage to the steel shot and hence pattern shape. 

Just had a thought….if it’s steel shot then it’ll be contained in a cup until it leaves the muzzle, like all steel shot. 

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

Just had a thought….if it’s steel shot then it’ll be contained in a cup until it leaves the muzzle, like all steel shot. 

Yeah .hope so but the cup type wads take up valuable space in the small .410 shell . Hence why most (not all ) .410 cartridges actually use a bung type plas  wad  ,similar to a fibre wad  for lead shot .

I only know of hull high pheasant  and fiocchi  that use a full cup that encloses the shot .effective as they are , those petals get shredded by barrel ports  and occasionally  catch in the baffles of my moderator . 

I actually  have a new .410 on order, and  it will have a mod fitted but without any barrel  porting. 

With my ported modded 410 you are advised to not use plastic wads as they can leave bits of plastic blocking the barrel. If you do use plastic wads you are advised to check the barrel after each shot. Not easy to do on a single break barrel let alone a pump.

Edited by Windswept

3 minutes ago, Windswept said:

With my ported modded 410 you are advised to not use plastic wads as they can leave bits of plastic blocking the barrel. If you do use plastic wads you are advised to check the barrel after each shot. Not easy to do on a single break barrel let alone a pump.

I think plastic wads will soon be a thing of the past, as all wads of all variants are going to have to be biodegradable, as tons of plastic littering the environment are just another no no, hence the development of eco wads. 

20 minutes ago, Scully said:

If a full cup is effective, as you claim, then how is steel shot going to come into contact with ported holes? 

It probably  isn't  . Unless the petal has been shredded away by the first couple of holes leaving shot to hit the ports  .

Also the petals become very thin where the (I've only used lead ) shot has been pushed so very hard into the walls would they push into the port through the very thin plastic petal wall as they pass ?? I dont know .

10 minutes ago, Windswept said:

Which type of plastic wad  do you mean  ? They act very differently. 

So, despite saying that steel is not safe to use in .410 guns, you were really only referring to those with moderated/ported barrels?

That will be a very small percentage of .410 guns currently in use then.

Virtually everyone I know has a .410 of some description and I don’t know of a single moderated/ported one.

So if 12 bore is 18.5 mm 

And 20 b is 15.5 mm and .

410 is 10.5 mm  

Give or take   and its recommended that in 12b we don't use tighter than 1/2 choke for steel shot and the same for 20b  .  I take that is because steel doesn't like being squeezed too tight as there is no give and could put too much pressure on the muzzle as it passes .

It seems logical to me that a 10.5 mm .410 is already very tight  with no extra choke applied and even a little sqeezing could be too much . Again I'm no expert on the pressures at play here and what would be deemed acceptable  . But maybe its no coincidence  that there seems to be virtually no steel .410 loads available  in the UK. (The Americans love making things go bang  so I'm not surprised there is a Winchester cart available over the pond) 

Again I'd love to  know .there used to be a fella on this forum called neutrino  I believe ,he was super smart and did loads of cartridge  tests especially  in .410 . 

53 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Yeah .hope so but the cup type wads take up valuable space in the small .410 shell . Hence why most (not all ) .410 cartridges actually use a bung type plas  wad  ,similar to a fibre wad  for lead shot .

I only know of hull high pheasant  and fiocchi  that use a full cup that encloses the shot .effective as they are , those petals get shredded by barrel ports  and occasionally  catch in the baffles of my moderator . 

I actually  have a new .410 on order, and  it will have a mod fitted but without any barrel  porting. 

Will your new 4.10 be proof for steel?