Enjoyable Video From Way Back When!

7daysinaweek

Had this recommendation in my Youtube list.

I watch a fair few old countryside films on the tube and as I grow older my heart increasingly bleeds to hark back to those days of my youth spent in the countryside. For myself the late 70's and 80's were the golden days. With ferret, dog, net, fishing rod, gun or hawk I was never happier.

The video below is a capture of Norfolk life in 1975 around the river Yare and marshes and has some footage of controlling Coypu which I found very interesting. If I recall @marsh man on here mentioned about Coypu in his native Norfolk and below shows footage of a few old characters who worked the marshes. There is also reference to the village 'Cantely', I wonder if @ditchman recognises any of the footage, if I also recall from past posts, he was familiar with that area.

Anyways having visited 'Ole Norfolk' quite a few times in my life, I found it very interesting and a very different part of the country from where I hail.

1 hour ago, 7daysinaweek said:

I watch a fair few old countryside films on the tube and as I grow older my heart increasingly bleeds to hark back to those days of my youth spent in the countryside. For myself the late 70's and 80's were the golden days. With ferret, dog, net, fishing rod, gun or hawk I was never happier.

The video below is a capture of Norfolk life in 1975 around the river Yare and marshes and has some footage of controlling Coypu which I found very interesting. If I recall @marsh man on here mentioned about Coypu in his native Norfolk and below shows footage of a few old characters who worked the marshes. There is also reference to the village 'Cantely', I wonder if @ditchman recognises any of the footage, if I also recall from past posts, he was familiar with that area.

Anyways having visited 'Ole Norfolk' quite a few times in my life, I found it very interesting and a very different part of the country from where I hail.

Brilliant and many THANKS for sharing , it was mainly taken from the upper reaches of the Yare where most of my time was spent around the lower reaches that ran through the estuary , mind you we did often take our double gun punt up to Reedham ( just below from where our good friend produced 100% pure Ginger at Cantley ) which was no mean feat as we had to plan it to perfection , we would start off from our boat shed that was near the town on the bottom of the flood tide , we would then row with the tide as far as Reedham , time we got there the pub would be open so we would charge our batteries up before we made the next part of the journey which was down the New Cut to join up with the River Waveney , the New Cut would be virtually non tidal by then so the row was fairly easy , time we got to the Waveney the tide would be ebbing and we would both be rowing for the next 8 or 9 miles back to the boat shed , time we got back we had covered around 20 miles and in those far distant days it wouldn't had even made our arms ache , now getting into the punt would be as much as I could manage :lol: , as you say , I now look back a lot more than I do look forward , I know I have seen the best days and my wife have got full instructions that when my time is up I want my ashes scattered from the new bridge on a flood tide so I can meet up with some of the old ones who loved the place as much as I do , I am sure we would have plenty to talk about  :good:

What wonderful times MM.

Once stayed on the broads a few years ago, the house we stayed in was right on one of the waterways and we had use of the small boat, we absolutely loved it, fascinating gliding through those huge bodies of water, a different world to us.

You must have been 'fit as a butcher's dog' with all that rowing back then, I have rowed a boat on a fair few lochs and tarns whilst fly fishing, not being used to it I found it bloody hard work for sure with the wind and water chop and all, never mind a tide which wants to drag the boat in the opposite direction. 

As you allude, when you are younger and eager nothing seems like a chore. Your terrain on the marshes is very different to what I grew up shooting and hunting around and I would think nothing of trudging miles, upon miles with the lamp and heavy battery across soggy thick ploughs, across ditches and through thickets carrying a good weight of rabbits in all kinds of weather. Sometimes only getting home as the light was just breaking, soggy, tired, but very happy.

You still appear to get out aplenty MM and I I take my hat off to you.

Long may you walk in the fields and dykes before your ashes are interred to the water. 

A backward glance to the "land of lost content" that is in the past.

I learned to row and sail on the Broads as a kid. We had family to spend a holiday week with at Oulton Broad in the fifties. Thought I knew it all until I came very close to drowning myself on the Yare at just 18, but it helped forge a lifetime's love and respect for the land of the running tide.

Thanks for posting. 

34 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

A backward glance to the "land of lost content" that is in the past.

I learned to row and sail on the Broads as a kid. We had family to spend a holiday week with at Oulton Broad in the fifties. Thought I knew it all until I came very close to drowning myself on the Yare at just 18, but it helped forge a lifetime's love and respect for the land of the running tide.

Thanks for posting. 

I like that!

7 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

What wonderful times MM.

Once stayed on the broads a few years ago, the house we stayed in was right on one of the waterways and we had use of the small boat, we absolutely loved it, fascinating gliding through those huge bodies of water, a different world to us.

You must have been 'fit as a butcher's dog' with all that rowing back then, I have rowed a boat on a fair few lochs and tarns whilst fly fishing, not being used to it I found it bloody hard work for sure with the wind and water chop and all, never mind a tide which wants to drag the boat in the opposite direction. 

As you allude, when you are younger and eager nothing seems like a chore. Your terrain on the marshes is very different to what I grew up shooting and hunting around and I would think nothing of trudging miles, upon miles with the lamp and heavy battery across soggy thick ploughs, across ditches and through thickets carrying a good weight of rabbits in all kinds of weather. Sometimes only getting home as the light was just breaking, soggy, tired, but very happy.

You still appear to get out aplenty MM and I I take my hat off to you.

Long may you walk in the fields and dykes before your ashes are interred to the water. 

Many thanks for your kind reply , our terrain as youngsters might well had been different but our interests were no doubt very similar to each others , we very soon learnt that some of the best places for fowling were the ones that were hard to get to and cars to us were then light years away , we either rowed or walked and very often we would walk to Berney arms which is five and half miles along the river wall , this was always a good spot for the White Fronted Geese that used to come on these marshes around mid December and I can well remember going up there in the morning then either come home or spend a couple of hours in my mates house boat and then once refreshed we would do it all over again , we never needed any work outs as we would often run back from the morning flight if we were likely to be late for work , which we often were.:lol:

I also learnt that to get the best out of fowling you needed a good working dog and my first one I bought off a keeper in Thetford cost the grand total of £10.00 , that first dog learnt me more about dogs than I learn him about retrieving fowl and we had many , many happy days together , when he was around nine he started to get a bit stiff so I bought another puppy to take over when the time came , the ole boy carried on till he was nearly 14 and by then the young one was more than ready to take over , this had been the pattern for the last 50 odd years and I have never been without a working Labrador , I found up an old photo of my first two and you can see how thick the coats were and they knew it would had been very unhealthy if they decided to run in :good:

SAMSUNG-CAMERA-PICTURES.jpg

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Many thanks for your kind reply , our terrain as youngsters might well had been different but our interests were no doubt very similar to each others , we very soon learnt that some of the best places for fowling were the ones that were hard to get to and cars to us were then light years away , we either rowed or walked and very often we would walk to Berney arms which is five and half miles along the river wall , this was always a good spot for the White Fronted Geese that used to come on these marshes around mid December and I can well remember going up there in the morning then either come home or spend a couple of hours in my mates house boat and then once refreshed we would do it all over again , we never needed any work outs as we would often run back from the morning flight if we were likely to be late for work , which we often were.

I also learnt that to get the best out of fowling you needed a good working dog and my first one I bought off a keeper in Thetford cost the grand total of £10.00 , that first dog learnt me more about dogs than I learn him about retrieving fowl and we had many , many happy days together , when he was around nine he started to get a bit stiff so I bought another puppy to take over when the time came , the ole boy carried on till he was nearly 14 and by then the young one was more than ready to take over , this had been the pattern for the last 50 odd years and I have never been without a working Labrador , I found up an old photo of my first two and you can see how thick the coats were and they knew it would had been very unhealthy if they decided to run in :good:

Top class👌

On another tack. MTB102 crops up in the film and I knew a bit about her from the local telly. However, a bit of googling shows that she was perhaps the greatest of all our "little ships" and is still afloat today.

Marshman talks of rowing from experience. Once you are used to it you can just keep rowing for hours, much like riding a bike.At an advanced age (older than him !) I still find it easier than (say) walking up hills. Although you don't do much of the latter in Norfolk.

Cracking read that MM and what a beautiful picture of your companions, memories that cannot be replaced ehh!

£10 for your first lab, what is the going price today, certainly not £10, that said, £10 back in the day would have still been a fair bit and long  past times for many of us never gave easy money.

Never having owned a gundog but been around plenty and your dogs were certainly in tip top condition. All power to you.

I had my first airifle and ferret when I was a young boy and still far too young to drive. I like yourself would think nothing of walking miles in a day, especially if I was ferreting a different area from my local patches. When I got to around the age of 12, I would go lamping mostly on my own, leaving the house about 1 in the morning, sometimes not getting back in until the light would be breaking. Never was I scared or frightened, well only a couple of times, but we won't go into that. :lol: 

I would gut the rabbits close to home and when I got home I would hang them up outside the back door under a ledge to cool in the autumn and winter air. Then into the house for a quick wash and a piece of toast, then would walk to school stung and scratched to bits and be nearly falling asleep in the lessons. I used to drive my mum and dad frantic with worry they would say, but I could not be kept in and living in a rural area on the outskirts of a big city, it was quite safe and I knew the area like the back of my hand.

When I got my first car at 17 there was no stopping me, I can remember the car was a yellow Bedford HA van ex postal I think, cost me 130 quid if I recall in the mid 80's. 

All great memories.

@Pushandpull

Good to hear that our some aspects of your local heritage of this faded era are being kept alive and well.

Don't think I will ever get used to that rowing though. :lol:

1 hour ago, Pushandpull said:

On another tack. MTB102 crops up in the film and I knew a bit about her from the local telly. However, a bit of googling shows that she was perhaps the greatest of all our "little ships" and is still afloat today.

Marshman talks of rowing from experience. Once you are used to it you can just keep rowing for hours, much like riding a bike.At an advanced age (older than him !) I still find it easier than (say) walking up hills. Although you don't do much of the latter in Norfolk.

Evening Pushandpull   ..... As for rowing , my older brother once had a two page spread in the E D P where him and his boy who was only about 10 at the time spent a week on the Broads in our double gun punt , in that time he covered well over 100 miles , a nice holiday and didn't cost a great deal .

Don't know if you have ever done it ? , but me and my mate once went up the Bure as far as Acle , our plans didn't work out as well as they should have done , again we started off at low tide and made good time up to the first watering hole which was the old Stracey Arms , we stayed in there a bit longer than we should had done and then carried on to Acle , as it was a hot day we had another pint ( or two ) at the pub near the bridge , with the water looking inviting we went for a swim in the river just in our jeans we had on and then dried out on the river bank , anyhow time was pushing on a bit and the tide had already started to ebb , time we got back as far as Stracey Arms we were beginning to feel the effect of the Brown and Mild's , we carried on a bit more but we had left it a bit late and the tide had started to flood back up so we had no more to do we waited till a holiday cruiser came past and held the rope up and asked them for a tow , they were only to pleased and they towed us back to the yacht station , so in the end we couldn't claim we had rowed to Acle and back , nearly back but not quite :lol:

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

Many thanks for your kind reply , our terrain as youngsters might well had been different but our interests were no doubt very similar to each others , we very soon learnt that some of the best places for fowling were the ones that were hard to get to and cars to us were then light years away , we either rowed or walked and very often we would walk to Berney arms which is five and half miles along the river wall , this was always a good spot for the White Fronted Geese that used to come on these marshes around mid December and I can well remember going up there in the morning then either come home or spend a couple of hours in my mates house boat and then once refreshed we would do it all over again , we never needed any work outs as we would often run back from the morning flight if we were likely to be late for work , which we often were.

Lovely photos and memories there John. I bet you can recall that day as if it was yesterday. The dogs may be long gone but I bet you still have the gun.

OB

9 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Lovely photos and memories there John. I bet you can recall that day as if it was yesterday. The dogs may be long gone but I bet you still have the gun.

OB

Good evening Chris .... The day itself is a bit vague but I remember I was shooting Pigeons on the o s r down the marsh , with the slanting banks there was no need for hides and as long as you had the wind on your back it was never a problem  , sadly the gun ended up in the melting pot along with a few more that followed the same route , they were made to be used and mine were certainly used ,mind you in some cases they were well used before I bought them , all I then done was finished them off :lol:

Enjoyable watch that! Thanks for posting. 

Brilliant photos also Marshman. Thats the type of images I grew up with.Seeing them in magazines and also locally as a boy. There was somthing special about the countryside/countrylife and shooting back in the day. Maybe its just me, but it seems very different to what we have in this modern era at present. Times seemed to have moved very fast.

7 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Enjoyable watch that! Thanks for posting. 

Brilliant photos also Marshman. Thats the type of images I grew up with.Seeing them in magazines and also locally as a boy. There was somthing special about the countryside/countrylife and shooting back in the day. Maybe its just me, but it seems very different to what we have in this modern era at present. Times seemed to have moved very fast.

Evening SuperGoose ..... As you rightly say that times have moved on at a very fast pace and the countryside have also seen many changes with a lot of land now covered with bricks and mortar , this is something you can't avoid but maybe in our little neck of the woods the pace is not as bad as some places , only the other night I thought I will go and watch the sun going down at the old Roman Fort at Burgh Castle , this is only a mile from mine and one of my favorite places , the massive flint wall around what would had been the fort is still the same as it was when I first saw it well over 60 years ago , when you walk around it and look over the Yare valley the scene would had looked exactly the same 100+ years ago , the only difference would had been the type of boats using the waterways , where nowadays you still see the odd Wherry that have been preserved from the scrapheap , the majority of boats are now holiday cruisers , even these are far and few at this time of the year and most of the time there is not a boat to be seen , I have got a few books about the the marsh men who lived and worked on the marshes , the work would be tending the windmills that drained the marshes , cleaning the dykes out and keeping a eye on the cattle throughout the grazing months , I have met a good few of them and they come across as very contented people and can easily live without a lot of stuff we now take for granted , There way of life wouldn't had suited everyone , but it would had certainly suited me , All the best   MM :good:

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

Evening SuperGoose ..... As you rightly say that times have moved on at a very fast pace and the countryside have also seen many changes with a lot of land now covered with bricks and mortar , this is something you can't avoid but maybe in our little neck of the woods the pace is not as bad as some places , only the other night I thought I will go and watch the sun going down at the old Roman Fort at Burgh Castle , this is only a mile from mine and one of my favorite places , the massive flint wall around what would had been the fort is still the same as it was when I first saw it well over 60 years ago , when you walk around it and look over the Yare valley the scene would had looked exactly the same 100+ years ago , the only difference would had been the type of boats using the waterways , where nowadays you still see the odd Wherry that have been preserved from the scrapheap , the majority of boats are now holiday cruisers , even these are far and few at this time of the year and most of the time there is not a boat to be seen , I have got a few books about the the marsh men who lived and worked on the marshes , the work would be tending the windmills that drained the marshes , cleaning the dykes out and keeping a eye on the cattle throughout the grazing months , I have met a good few of them and they come across as very contented people and can easily live without a lot of stuff we now take for granted , There way of life wouldn't had suited everyone , but it would had certainly suited me , All the best   MM :good:

Morning Marshman, that is excellent, may you have the health to see many more sun sets from your favourite spot. 

There is certainly something very special about marshs,dykes and reeds ect..! I feel  at my most contented in such places and especially in the winter months 🙂

On 27/10/2022 at 20:59, 7daysinaweek said:

What a coincidence, watched this on Friday evening.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Some ‘Posh’ Norfolk accents there. 
Best buy for me was Jack Brighton and his coypu trapping. 
A classic “I ain’t gonna hurt you”, 20 seconds later and ‘bang’ 🤣🤣

Hhhahhahhaa.....like star trek........."we come in peace ...shoot to kill..."

• 3 weeks later...