Pot hole repairs

B725

The local authority are back again repairing the pot holes, I've just walked past one and the patch is next to another one, rather than cut the tarmac and remove the other hole they just did one bit of it. I can garentee within a month the hole will be just as bad as the one they filled. 

I cannot understand why they don't repair them properly. They seem to be on our street once a month. 

The roads where I live are a shambles, in the last 2 years I've replaced 3 balljoints....finally replaced the full lower control arms and my anti rollbar bushes front and back are now shagged from all the rattling about. My younger brothers car had to have new springs on the front and new shocks on the back a couple of months ago. 

Its a combo of pee-poor Road surface, phoenix gas coming along and digging up the good road surfaces to lay a pipe line and leaving the good roads subsiding badly and speed bumps on parts of the road nobody wanted them on.

The mechanics round my way are busier than ever... im sure anyone on the forum that lives in County Down will know all about it. 

Around here all council/highways dept. work is done by a contractor.  If they fill it properly, seal it properly - then the repair will last - and they will be out of job. 

They recently (September) did a large drainage renewal project of the (piped) roadside surface water drains (about 5 weeks work for quite a large team).  The problem had been that in heavy rain, the volume of water couldn't get away and the drain run-offs from the road towards the lower end of the system actually spewed water back out onto the road and the manholes lifted and spewed out water.  A several day 'survey' was carried out with CCTV and a solution prepared.  It much have cost a lot of money as there were a lot of people, machines and pipes.  It was a dry autumn and they went away satisfied.

Roll on to November - and we had (not much, but some) heavy rain for half an hour.  Result - just as bad as before (although admittedly other parts were less bad than before, but this is 100 yards or so from me.

IMG_3524.jpeg.a85223f879423a59d60643ce5f0a6741.jpeg

I raised a complaint - and have been told they will conduct another survey.  If we ever get any frosts - this part will be an ice rink as the water spreads out over a large area.

3 hours ago, B725 said:

The local authority are back again repairing the pot holes, I've just walked past one and the patch is next to another one, rather than cut the tarmac and remove the other hole they just did one bit of it. I can garentee within a month the hole will be just as bad as the one they filled. 

I cannot understand why they don't repair them properly. They seem to be on our street once a month. 

Same round us as well - we no longer drive on the left but on what is left.:lol:

There was a large piece of someone's broken coil spring at the bottom of the hole and all they did was chuck it at the side of the road. It really is false economy and a waste of tax payers money by not repairing them to a high standard, our street look's like it has severe acne what with the holes and little round spot's of tarmac.

I’m sure a lot of the dramas are caused by not prepping and sealing the surface correctly. 

it also annoys me that contractors cut a channel down the path and then only fill that. 
you have a decent path with a wobbly cut at all angles strip running for miles - looks terrible. 
In the contract they should specify if your laying new fibre or pipes as they have split due to your lack of maintenance or anything to make a profit the least you can do is resurface the whole path. 

The repair will be a contractor that’s usually judge and jury to their own repair. Why fix it properly when they can get paid to repair it every 12 months.

there it one by us that has a small stream running over the path and onto the road that’s been patched and repaired too many times - drop an extra drain in and job would be sorted!

Agriv8 

Down our road they don't even bother to fill the pothole, usually just put a smear of tarmac on the edge of the pothole as the council define a pothole as having a ' verticle edge '. Last one they fixed took two transits tippers and a lorry, six men and about an hour to we've about a meter.

Sort of sums up the whole issue of councils not having any money.