Cartridge prices, Don't forget the Large Farm shops Agri Merchants

Funny enough when I was looking for standard steel cartridges rather than HP ones, a local hardware store that sells cartridges was the only one that stocked a small selection. The store in question this time of year does a roaring trade in cartridges and boxes of clays and the prices are very reasonable.... that reminds me I need to buy a few boxes!

My farm shop Agri merchants does a wide range of clay and game loads.

they also get overruns or slight seconds. It Pay  to be polite as the ‘Cartridge man ‘ offers overruns to those that use him regularly! ( I usually order 1k sporting 100s 3 / 4 times a year )

I was after some 16 bore shells and needed some prices for some ordering in so called in Friday -just gone. for a chin wag- he’s a busy man but acknowledged I was in his personal queue and that there was gossip or a good deal to be had !

So picked up a slab of 16 bore 28g gamebores at £90 and was asked if I need any 12 bore 5 shot game cartridges £60 a slab as got some over runs in - Which is good for any sort of decent game carts. Go on  out he walked with a slab of black gold - quad seal -  34 gram 5s printed wrong way up, he asked if I wanted the same in 4s - for same price I got to sitting in the van before I walked back in and bought the  4s . 

34 g are a fit heavy for me really but are useful in the correct scenario and  to carry in your pocket. Will no doubt share them with my shooting buddy.

So yes always give em a try no one around here can get close on price and importantly service. 

Agriv8

14 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

My farm shop Agri merchants does a wide range of clay and game loads.

they also get overruns or slight seconds. It Pay  to be polite as the ‘Cartridge man ‘ offers overruns to those that use him regularly! ( I usually order 1k sporting 100s 3 / 4 times a year )

I was after some 16 bore shells and needed some prices for some ordering in so called in Friday -just gone. for a chin wag- he’s a busy man but acknowledged I was in his personal queue and that there was gossip or a good deal to be had !

So picked up a slab of 16 bore 28g gamebores at £90 and was asked if I need any 12 bore 5 shot game cartridges £60 a slab as got some over runs in - Which is good for any sort of decent game carts. Go on  out he walked with a slab of black gold - quad seal -  34 gram 5s printed wrong way up, he asked if I wanted the same in 4s - for same price I got to sitting in the van before I walked back in and bought the  4s . 

34 g are a fit heavy for me really but are useful in the correct scenario and  to carry in your pocket. Will no doubt share them with my shooting buddy.

So yes always give em a try no one around here can get close on price and importantly service. 

Agriv8

Do they sell guns? or rifle ammo or do RFD gun transfers or repairs ? Hope so as by not supporting your local gun shop where else will you go when the gun shops are gone?

After all a lot of the Agri merchants profit will come from other parts of the business so not reliant on profit from cartridges, “stack em high sell them cheap” , however my local gun shop tells me cartridges sales are important to them and a challenge at this time due to supply issues, how many gun shops will close over the next year or two? I wonder, given the challenges facing shooting as a sport, hobby.

1 hour ago, rbrowning2 said:

Do they sell guns? or rifle ammo or do RFD gun transfers or repairs ? Hope so as by not supporting your local gun shop where else will you go when the gun shops are gone?

After all a lot of the Agri merchants profit will come from other parts of the business so not reliant on profit from cartridges, “stack em high sell them cheap” , however my local gun shop tells me cartridges sales are important to them and a challenge at this time due to supply issues, how many gun shops will close over the next year or two? I wonder, given the challenges facing shooting as a sport, hobby.

My RFD gun man just does Gun Sales / Service and Repairs excellent work and very competitive rates. Usually have to book a service in weeks in advance to ensure he keeps under his plate limmit .

All the work he has carried out for me and shooting buddies ( New and old English ) has ben of the highest order.

by his own admission not a fan of working with Semi auto !

Agriv8 

Edited by Agriv8

17 hours ago, sitsinhedges said:

Heavy recoil and smokey 

100% agree on the recoil, they're pretty punchy! Can't say I remember them being overly smokey, but then it was a while ago. We all have a preference though, I found super fast to be quite smokey this weekend just gone, but the temperature has dropped so it might've been that too.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Please tell me just what a smoky cartridge does to offend you.

It's not like you're at counter sniper engagements!

I can't say it offends me in the slightest, just something I noticed. :huh:

I wasn't a fan of F black when I tried them, but that's because I felt like I was shooting confetti into the air, felt like a parade :D 

Mostly, yes, 
I am not precious about my cartridges, I was in Dorset at sportsman gun centre and their "smokers" were £230 / thou so I picked up 3k for me and a mate. Ironically being called smokers maybe they're really smokey :lol:

F Black was the only one I didn't like but that was as I say, because it was like confetti everywhere and I got fed up on the windy day with it all back in my face. Other than that, as you say, if it's cheap and breaks clays, then I'm happy!

On 06/12/2022 at 13:14, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Please tell me just what a smoky cartridge does to offend you.

It's not like you're at counter sniper engagements!

I heard a fellow shooter complain a certain cartridge was too smokey when I was shooting PSG. I asked if he was using black powder cartridges as I haven't seen a cartridge yet that produced sufficient smoke to obscure a static target sitting on the ground 10 metres away!!!