Beagles

smokingdragon

Anyone familliar with Beagles? We are looking after an 8 year old Beagle for a neighbour who has had to go and be with her terminally ill father. I've also got a cocker and springer and I find the Beagle a strange beast.

He is totally food obsessed and will steal off the worktop if your back is turned - we have had a bit of success in keeping him away from the worktops as when he first arrived he'd try and muscle in to the worktop when I was cutting up food. Now he'll wait until we are not looking!

Otherwise he's quite nice and doesn't wander off on a walk and will recall fairly well. My cocker bitch who doesn't take prisoners quite likes him. He isn't bothered with the chickens geese and ducks , also the cats feel safe with him so not all negative!

4 minutes ago, smokingdragon said:

Anyone familliar with Beagles? We are looking after an 8 year old Beagle for a neighbour who has had to go and be with her terminally ill father. I've also got a cocker and springer and I find the Beagle a strange beast.

He is totally food obsessed and will steal off the worktop if your back is turned - we have had a bit of success in keeping him away from the worktops as when he first arrived he'd try and muscle in to the worktop when I was cutting up food. Now he'll wait until we are not looking!

Otherwise he's quite nice and doesn't wander off on a walk and will recall fairly well. My cocker bitch who doesn't take prisoners quite likes him. He isn't bothered with the chickens geese and ducks , also the cats feel safe with him so not all negative!

Can’t possibly be a pedigree Beagle!

All those round here are mental.

But Ditchie it is far more difficult to train the owners, don't always blame the dog.  Hard headed little beast are beagles but once they know who is boss are fantastic companions.  A joy around here was watching them work a hare which they rarely caught, in fact I have seen the hare stop and wait for them to catch up.

Ref Owners. In this small village I can point out a half dozen good dogs spoilt through poor or non existent training.

The training issue is the problem with this one and the fact he doesn't respect the owner. Things escalated last night when he snatched a sandwhich from my wife's hand, grazing her finger with a tooth. He didn't consider my wife head of the pack - fool dog - now is being constistently shown who is bottom of the pack.

We are now training him not to approach food but will have to be extra vigilant when the grandkids arrive.

It looks like he has had some training as he sits on a hand signal and then offers his paw.

We don't know how long we'll have him but he needs taining so it will continue, 8 years of being top dog in his house hasn't done him any favours.

Spaniels brought up from pups are so much easier and I never had issues with Dobermans or GSD previously.

On 27/12/2022 at 19:01, London Best said:

Well, not one of the four or five owners in the village has any control whatsoever over their Beagles.

All the Beagles I have known (local dogs, none owned by my family) have been largely untrainable ........... but they have also been non aggressive and generally good natured with both people and other dogs.

On 28/12/2022 at 09:39, smokingdragon said:

The training issue is the problem with this one and the fact he doesn't respect the owner. Things escalated last night when he snatched a sandwhich from my wife's hand, grazing her finger with a tooth. He didn't consider my wife head of the pack - fool dog - now is being constistently shown who is bottom of the pack.

We are now training him not to approach food but will have to be extra vigilant when the grandkids arrive.

It looks like he has had some training as he sits on a hand signal and then offers his paw.

We don't know how long we'll have him but he needs taining so it will continue, 8 years of being top dog in his house hasn't done him any favours.

Spaniels brought up from pups are so much easier and I never had issues with Dobermans or GSD previously.

Forget being vigilant, when there are children anywhere near your house I’d have that dog firmly locked away where kids can’t get anywhere near it. 

You don’t get a second chance. 

On 27/12/2022 at 19:54, ditchman said:

is it possible to train a Beagle ?...........

From my many years of experience, not really. 

I currently have two (pedigree, pet Beagles), aged 13 and 10. The old one is still a liability, behaving just as the OP describes, despite her advanced years. 

This is obviously balanced with them being very very good natured with other dogs and humans (big and small!).

Our next dog will not be a beagle! 

• 3 weeks later...

I've just read this thread and I have to admit it seemed to confirm what I thought about Beagles.  

However I have just watched Graham on dogs behaving badly and it was about a beagle cross that was crazy 🤪 but he tutored it.

So is it a trait in Beagles that they are balmy or is it a lack of training 🤔 just asking.

I now know of another 3 in our area and they are all a bit aloof, stubborn and a tendancy to wander off to do their own thing. Good natured and one of them goes with his owner on mountain bike trails and is therefore fit.

Previously I've had GSDs and a couple of Dobermans and now spaniels and Beagles seem the hardest when out and about. Spaniels are the best 🙂

13 hours ago, smokingdragon said:

I now know of another 3 in our area and they are all a bit aloof, stubborn and a tendancy to wander off to do their own thing. Good natured and one of them goes with his owner on mountain bike trails and is therefore fit.

Previously I've had GSDs and a couple of Dobermans and now spaniels and Beagles seem the hardest when out and about. Spaniels are the best 🙂

Well I have to agree on the beagles I have seen out and about 👍👍👍👍

On 17/01/2023 at 20:50, harrycatcat1 said:

I've just read this thread and I have to admit it seemed to confirm what I thought about Beagles.  

However I have just watched Graham on dogs behaving badly and it was about a beagle cross that was crazy 🤪 but he tutored it.

So is it a trait in Beagles that they are balmy or is it a lack of training 🤔 just asking.

Trait! 

Ask yourself how many beagles you see off the lead or doing anything useful.  Eejits.  That said my two can be let off and come back. Mostly 😆

I have known 5 owners and their beagles. 

One was the dog on the video who had a lot of time put into training both in obedience, dance and agility.

One was owned by a electrical local shop owner. He had to take it to work with him or it destructed the house. This was in the days before crates were used. Nice and friendly though.

One was a nasty beggar in the village I used to live in that lunged viciously at every dog it saw and had bitten a few too. How it avoided being put down I don't know.

One was a colleages. It destroyed his brand new kitchen and cushion floor and would go manic at his front window at anyone passing. Fortunatley the window which was full height and had the bottom half georgian wired glass. He had had labradors before and the beagle came as a bit of a shock.

The 5th were the owners of 2 miniature beagle bitches. Only about 7 kilo. Very cute and quite placid and resonably well trained if a bit thick. Recall worked well unless they got a scent to track.