High seat rush

team tractor

4 hours ago, amateur said:

Hollow scaffold pole ought to be lighter, length by length, than 3/4 solid bar

Once knocked in the ground it will not be noticed and the weight might juist add a little weight to the base.as well.

5 hours ago, Dougy said:

I was thinking of TT on the seat and fidgeting about and unbalanced the seat. We need to look after him. 👍🤣

Unfortunately as you well know there is a limit to what you can do to keep him from harm. I suppose a round bale on each side for him to fall on might be a good idea.

Hope we all get a munty backstrap...or two.... for all this caring and safety advice Dougy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Once knocked in the ground it will not be noticed and the weight might juist add a little weight to the base.as well.

Unfortunately as you well know there is a limit to what you can do to keep him from harm. I suppose a round bale on each side for him to fall on might be a good idea.

Hope we all get a munty backstrap...or two.... for all this caring and safety advice Dougy.

I used my last back strap yesterday in my game pie so I need a few more 😀. I’ll give it a month before I use it I think as I’m busy with work . If it sinks it sinks 😂

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

"screwed to a tree"..........just like one of my old girlfriends...aahhahhhahahh......them were the days

I've seen alot screw holes in trees and wondered what was there 🤪 now it's solved DITCHY was here 👍 Some are fairly high , did you ever stand on a box? 😹😂📸

6 minutes ago, Morkin said:

I've seen alot screw holes in trees and wondered what was there 🤪 now it's solved DITCHY was here 👍 Some are fairly high , did you ever stand on a box? 😹😂📸

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I reckon it's so long ago the trees have grown a fair bit!

BLOODY PHILISTINES THE LOT OF YOU ...:big_boss:....:mad:

This problem is the main reason that I stick to my old ex military Landrover 90 (1986).   Hatch cut in the roof and a 'safari' roof-rack (cut down) provides the 360 degree rifle rest.   One hydraulic workbench stool completes the kit.   The wheel base of the truck just fits modern tramlines (Wheelins there called around here), so I can get to anywhere on the farms that I cover provided it's not too wet.  (Landy cuts in more than a sprayer does).   Mobile highseat with a fisherman's green brolly over my head to protect from the rain or sun that we sometimes get in East Anglia.

But I do employ a few tree leaners and one half height free stander as well for places that I can't drive to.

Catton Park and Bush Wood 019.jpg

Edited by Grandalf

Just before Christmas I crept up to my half height freestander well before first light.   I had just moved it so was being ever so careful with the approach.   I crept up to it on tiptoe and got myself setup as quietly as I possibly could.   When settled on high I scannned with the thermal and spotted a deer laying about 60 yards away from me but couldn't make out what it was.   Study with the IR on the rifle showed it to be a roebuck chewing the cud.   My approach had been perfect but he was the wrong sex.

As it got light he roused himself, had a good shake, and wandered off through the hedge.

Two and a half shotless hours later I climbed down and discovered that the lady owner of the land had attached a trailcam to one of the legs of the seat.

She now has a video of this old (83) man with a long white beard bearing rifle and sticks instead of a large sack full of presents creeping through her woodland.   He was also wearing camo instead of the traditional red suit.

Made her laugh.

8 hours ago, Grandalf said:

Just before Christmas I crept up to my half height freestander well before first light.   I had just moved it so was being ever so careful with the approach.   I crept up to it on tiptoe and got myself setup as quietly as I possibly could.   When settled on high I scannned with the thermal and spotted a deer laying about 60 yards away from me but couldn't make out what it was.   Study with the IR on the rifle showed it to be a roebuck chewing the cud.   My approach had been perfect but he was the wrong sex.

As it got light he roused himself, had a good shake, and wandered off through the hedge.

Two and a half shotless hours later I climbed down and discovered that the lady owner of the land had attached a trailcam to one of the legs of the seat.

She now has a video of this old (83) man with a long white beard bearing rifle and sticks instead of a large sack full of presents creeping through her woodland.   He was also wearing camo instead of the traditional red suit.

Made her laugh.

I regularly catch the landowner on my camera dropping a bunny corpse in front of my camera . Mid 70s with a white beard too 😂
I need more cameras tbh . 

9 hours ago, Grandalf said:

Made her laugh.

Just think if you'd have caught short ???

13 minutes ago, Grandalf said:

Dougy, I always have a pee before I climb a high seat - I am an old man.

Luckily I peed on the side away from the camera and not over the camera.

all you need is a bit of hose pipe with a funnel stuck into it....thats what i used in my shed when it was raining...:good:

On 04/01/2023 at 17:07, Rim Fire said:

One of the ones I use you can last a good 1 to 2 hrs longer with cold or drizzle 

20220425_153146.jpg

20220425_153121.jpg

Yup  I could snooze in that no problem. Nothing like being comfy because after a few minutes in an uncomfortable seat you start to fidgit and thats not good.  Our seats in Newfoundland where little more than 2ft square planks nailed to a tree and open fronted 18ft up a fir tree. Second afternoon we took a length of rope and tied ourselves to the tree so we would not fall in the 6 hours we sat there.  We both got a bear.    I have almost always built my seats wide enough to be able to shuffle one way or the other should a target present.   The only addition to that seat would have been a length of tensile wire up the uprights across the end of the steps, extra protection should a step fail.

37 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yup  I could snooze in that no problem. Nothing like being comfy because after a few minutes in an uncomfortable seat you start to fidgit and thats not good.  Our seats in Newfoundland where little more than 2ft square planks nailed to a tree and open fronted 18ft up a fir tree. Second afternoon we took a length of rope and tied ourselves to the tree so we would not fall in the 6 hours we sat there.  We both got a bear.    I have almost always built my seats wide enough to be able to shuffle one way or the other should a target present.   The only addition to that seat would have been a length of tensile wire up the uprights across the end of the steps, extra protection should a step fail.

Good idea I will do that if ever stops raining we have had 3 dry days in about 15 forecast dry tomorrow might be able to get out 

Edited by Rim Fire

1 hour ago, Grandalf said:

Dougy, I always have a pee before I climb a high seat - I am an old man.

Luckily I peed on the side away from the camera and not over the camera.

I once climbed a high seat that was higher than a high seat, it was that high it needed lights on it. And to make it worse than being the highest high seat ive ever climbed i cant stand heights. I climbed it like an Orangutan wrapping my arms twice round the steps and frame to ensure i was not going to fall. once i got to the seat i was now worried how to let go and get my bum on the steal seat. I did eventual mange it only to then realise i had left my rifle behind, obviously headed back down in the same way, and then with the rifle over my shoulder it just seemed 10x worse. I started to understand how Chris Bonington felt on the assent to the top of Everest. Any way i got back on my seat after what seemed ages, then once up and in position i think all the stress and worry triggered of my need for a wee, no way was i going through all that climbing again so i hung out on the seat, and yes managed to rinse the steps off in the process. 

Thats one high seat i wont go up ever again, if anyone has been stalking down Wiltshire you may know where it is. 

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

all you need is a bit of hose pipe with a funnel stuck into it....thats what i used in my shed when it was raining...:good:

Too much information 😳

On 01/01/2023 at 10:41, Grandalf said:

This problem is the main reason that I stick to my old ex military Landrover 90 (1986).   Hatch cut in the roof and a 'safari' roof-rack (cut down) provides the 360 degree rifle rest.   One hydraulic workbench stool completes the kit.   The wheel base of the truck just fits modern tramlines (Wheelins there called around here), so I can get to anywhere on the farms that I cover provided it's not too wet.  (Landy cuts in more than a sprayer does).   Mobile highseat with a fisherman's green brolly over my head to protect from the rain or sun that we sometimes get in East Anglia.

But I do employ a few tree leaners and one half height free stander as well for places that I can't drive to.

Catton Park and Bush Wood 019.jpg

Happy memories Catton? 👍👌

13 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

Too much information 😳

Happy memories Catton? 👍👌

what on earth are you frightened of....it was a very field expedient invension..............its not as if i was asking you to take a dump in it .......just something so you could have a quick riddle in................................my god ...have you never seen chateau layby ???

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what on earth are you frightened of....it was a very field expedient invension..............its not as if i was asking you to take a dump in it .......just something so you could have a quick riddle in................................my god ...have you never seen chateau layby ???

Just remember not to use the same piece of pipe to siphon the fuel out of your tank. 🤣