RFD choice

Is it just in Sheffield or do other areas find the same?

I have three RFDs all local. With each it's very much a take it or leave it attitude with cartridges and often other equipment.

You either buy the very limited choice on offer or leave.

If you dare to suggest that what's on offer is not to your liking or needs then you get the "in my experience you don't want them you need ....." despite the RFD and his hangers on having never fired a shot in the last 5 years and having no experience of crop control at all ever or in some instances clays also.

40 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

"in my experience you don't want them you need ....." despite the RFD and his hangers on having never fired a shot in the last 5 years and having no experience of crop control at all ever or in some instances clays also.

Sums up nearly all RFD’s perfectly. Most are just shopkeepers. A few are gunsmiths. Very few are shooting men.

Yes, Unfortunately the RFDs are just poor, very little choice in cartridges or rifle ammunition but a huge range of sarcasm as to your choice.

Hangers on, dressed in the latest pattern camouflage clothing and boots drinking tea and eating pork pies, chip in with opinions that they've been fed as they've never been in the field yet know absolutely everything.

Better a long drive for the right stuff than the wrong stuff at any price.

8 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Yes, Unfortunately the RFDs are just poor, very little choice in cartridges or rifle ammunition but a huge range of sarcasm as to your choice.

Hangers on, dressed in the latest pattern camouflage clothing and boots drinking tea and eating pork pies, chip in with opinions that they've been fed as they've never been in the field yet know absolutely everything.

Better a long drive for the right stuff than the wrong stuff at any price.

The same round here the three that are left aren't worth the trip going to. 

But they must be selling stuff or they'd go the way of the ones already gone. 

Hello, I always get the feeling the 2 RFDs I usually go to are doing me a favour rather than the other way round, spending my money !!!, one in Swindon actually said we only give discount to friends, anyone else pays going rate, what constitutes a friend, I've actually had 2 friends spend around £2,000 on shooting gear when I recommended this shop, let alone the money I've spent over 10 years, I gave up when trying to PX a quality air rifle, with a very poor offer, I sold it private, the other RFD is ok but there's not the welcome I think friends get, the best RFD I ever used was Oxford gun shop, sadly long gone 🙄

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I always get the feeling the 2 RFDs I usually go to are doing me a favour rather than the other way round, spending my money !!!, one in Swindon actually said we only give discount to friends, anyone else pays going rate, what constitutes a friend, I've actually had 2 friends spend around £2,000 on shooting gear when I recommended this shop, let alone the money I've spent over 10 years, I gave up when trying to PX a quality air rifle, with a very poor offer, I sold it private, the other RFD is ok but there's not the welcome I think friends get, the best RFD I ever used was Oxford gun shop, sadly long gone 🙄

Let's say you've worked hard for your boss for several years and he's always paid you on time - ever thought of offering to work for a lower wage because he's treated you well? I've seen plenty of RFD's go bust or give up, you have to wonder how much profit they can afford to give as discount?

1 hour ago, njc110381 said:

Let's say you've worked hard for your boss for several years and he's always paid you on time - ever thought of offering to work for a lower wage because he's treated you well? I've seen plenty of RFD's go bust or give up, you have to wonder how much profit they can afford to give as discount?

Hello, I would not know on discount as I do not think I come as friends on this RFD, the internet has a lot to do with RFDs closing and high business rates, high buying in costs, to many air rifles needing returned, pellet and cartridge discounters , shotguns not doing very well in sales and last many have a take it or leave it attitude, well I say last but many shooters in UK are suffering from the high cost of living before spending on shooting gear

It's not discount that most people want I think, rather the service we expect and choice of product.

As an example asking for a named cartridge in 32 x 5s and being told I don't need them and don't know what I'm talking about, because he only stocks 28 x 7.5s in another brand. Backed up by his hangers on telling me stories of them only last week having a 200 bird day, all of which were taken with the said 28 x 7.5s and every one at 100 yards plus. Not that they even bothered to ask my usage. But if you ask them the difference between plaswad and fibre they look blank. They obviously haven't been given that opinion to spout yet.

Asked to order in what I wanted and I'd buy 2000 in bulk they agree, well I'm still waiting for the call to say they arrived, for the first few months I checked back weekly. Ordered in July 2021, I'm still waiting. I'm also waiting for 2000 x 21gram for clays, he doesn't stock cartridges for ladies was his answer.

My son asked about a repair, still waiting. Bought another gun to put him on before finding a gunsmith (double discharge problem).

I understand that it's not easy in retail, it's not easy in any trade unless you put effort in. If some RFDs can provide the service, still make a profit and its worth a long drive to visit then why do others rely on having a near monopoly and only supplying expensive unsatisfactory alternatives. 

What is being described above is common amongst all sorts of retailers not just shooting businesses. The bad ones appear to have no customer empathy and as a rule of thumb, they are almost all one-man-bands, sometimes ‘lifestyle’ businesses with no great incentive to make a profit.

The better ones are usually busy most of the week and understand their customers needs very clearly. They are driven by the need to make a profit - but not regardless of common sense and always with an eye on future business. 

It should be a pleasure to buy from a retailer who understands his business and his customers.

5 hours ago, njc110381 said:

This. Better a slightly higher price and off the shelf for the odd box of twenty-five than having to order a slab from Just Cartridges "as they are cheaper from them". Giving discounts to friends is poor business.