NHS meeting at No 10, will the experts come up with any solution ??

oldypigeonpopper

48 minutes ago, oowee said:

Peanuts for the skill levels and training. Dog walker in the village on £36 an hour. Electrician on £60 an hour. 

Is that for 40hrs a week, 52 weeks a year. Or just because they walk 3 dogs for an hour a couple of times a week?

Edited by Rem260

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Charliedog said:

last time i went to see a GP I put my symptoms into google first to see what it came up with and advised to see a GP, low and behold the GP did exactly the same thing (strange rash)

You can't have been too ill as you got to see a doctor. Around here most patients don't last long enough. 😁 

Just now, Rem260 said:

Is that for 40hrs a week, 52 weeks a year. Or just because she walks 3 dogs for an hour a couple of times a week?

Its £12 an hour for a regular dog and a non regular is £15. They walk 6 dogs a go often taking them to the hired dog field if they have issues. 

11 minutes ago, oowee said:

Its £12 an hour for a regular dog and a non regular is £15. They walk 6 dogs a go often taking them to the hired dog field if they have issues. 

How have you then equated that to a full time GP's salary. That is like me saying that my mate who mows lawns is on £80 an hour because he cuts a couple of lawns that take him only 15 minutes to cut and he charges £20 a lawn. If it where that simple everyone would be cutting lawns or walking dogs. I doubt your dog walker is earning £75k a year or have the job security in which to rely on.

Edited by Rem260

6 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

How have you then equated that to a full time GP's salary. That is like me saying that my mate who mows lawns is on £80 an hour because he cuts a couple of lawns that take him only 15 minutes to cut and he charges £20 a lawn. If it where that simple everyone would be cutting lawns or walking dogs. I doubt your dog walker is earning £75k a year or have the job security in which to rely on.

Thats true of course but they dont have £50k in debt and 10 years of training to start the job. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Peanuts for the skill levels and training. Dog walker in the village on £36 an hour. Electrician on £60 an hour. 

Dog walker and sparky are self employed ?
Besides your dog walker wouldnt be getting anything like that if they lived near me , its only because your village is posh 😜

Besides GPs work the hours they want to work, mine does a 3 day week, the rest of the time shes trying to learn English.

Just now, Rewulf said:

Dog walker and sparky are self employed ?
Besides your dog walker wouldnt be getting anything like that if they lived near me , its only because your village is posh 😜

Besides GPs work the hours they want to work, mine does a 3 day week, the rest of the time shes trying to learn English.

😁 Hamlet rather than a village 🤣. Your lucky you have doctor to go and see. Here they want to do everything by skype or zoom and it's two weeks to get to do that (unless your from Ukraine, like my lodger then the door just seems to open by magic). It's seriously bad here and not nicknamed death valley for nothing 😁

On a serious note my daughter is expected to go to some of the roughest areas of Stratford-on-Avon in the dead of night when on call. All her customers are sick, some in the head. You could not pay me enough to do it. 

4 hours ago, oowee said:

Why? Surely what matters is the pay rate for the skill set. The fact that someone works overtime or is in receipt of a shift allowance is a seperate matter. My daughter as a GP has to work out of hours for which she recieves extra pay but this reflects the unsocial hours. The pay is simply unrealistic for the job. 

I accept that there are many areas for improvement and they should be dealt with but this is not the fault of the staff. We should start by looking at what is provided against what is funded and match one to the other. The bulging ageing population makes the current system unsustainable. 

Maybe not only age though that's a considerable drain, what about the none payers and expectations for space age treatments of all illness?

16 minutes ago, oowee said:

😁 Hamlet rather than a village 🤣. Your lucky you have doctor to go and see. Here they want to do everything by skype or zoom and it's two weeks to get to do that (unless your from Ukraine, like my lodger then the door just seems to open by magic). It's seriously bad here and not nicknamed death valley for nothing 😁

Not seen mine in 3 years, not likely to either , the practice was struggling with too many patients as it was, then 3 months ago , a local GP and his wife retired with some 40,000 patients on the books, my practice took half of them 😄

Id move ,but they are the only practice in my area that does firearms doctors notes.

25 minutes ago, oowee said:

On a serious note my daughter is expected to go to some of the roughest areas of Stratford-on-Avon in the dead of night when on call. All her customers are sick, some in the head. You could not pay me enough to do it. 

There are rough areas of Stratford ? :lol:
Sounds like a 'challenging' role, but like joining the police or armed services, there are going to be moments of danger, which Im sure she would have known about?
Im not sure what Id prefer , the occasional person shooting at me or trying to stab me , or being around diseased people or day long :w00t:

16 minutes ago, old man said:

Maybe not only age though that's a considerable drain, what about the none payers and expectations for space age treatments of all illness?

:good:Yep start by looking at what is funded and what is expected and match the two. I would end fertility treatment as a starter for ten, allow gastric bands, charge £20 an appointment, require compulsory health insurance for foreign travelers and voluntary euthenasia. 

Edited by oowee

18 minutes ago, oowee said:

:good:Yep start by looking at what is funded and what is expected and match the two. I would end fertility treatment as a starter for ten, allow gastric bands, charge £20 an appointment, require compulsory health insurance for foreign travelers and voluntary euthenasia. 

Cant argue with any of that.
Although everyone I know whos had fertility treatment, ended up paying for it , on bloke lovingly calls his only child 80Kay, as thats how much the treatment cost :lol:

2 hours ago, oowee said:

So go walk dogs - simple

If you can get an electrician at any price you are lucky.

People are paid what they are able to get other people to give them for their services.  That's the basis of a market economy.

On 07/01/2023 at 14:30, Rewulf said:

The present system is broken , we keep patching it up , but this structure isnt far from falling down.

Tear it down , start again with an American style insurance system.

This is what happens in America with their insurance system...gawd elp us if it comes in here.

https://www.retireguide.com/retirement-planning/risks/medical-bankruptcy-statistics/

On 10/01/2023 at 16:57, oowee said:

Thats true of course but they dont have £50k in debt and 10 years of training to start the job. 

And they are not declaring it all for tax I bet.

Our window cleaner charges £20 and it only takes him about 15 mins, 20 at the most. He does quite a few in our street and the streets around.

2 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

And they are not declaring it all for tax I bet.

Our window cleaner charges £20 and it only takes him about 15 mins, 20 at the most. He does quite a few in our street and the streets around.

I am sure your right, I doubt half goes in for tax. 

We have the dog walker in when I am away and we pay the company rather than cash on the door. 

Same with our window cleaner. £25 for windows and £30 when he does the roof. I refuse to pay him cash, insisting on a cheque. 

Hello, with ambulance call and response times at an all time high ,  Then when you get to A and E there are cues to get seen, GP surgeries long waiting times, I've not seen any reports yet of hospital patience going into care homes to free up beds, we clapped for the NHS , but now there's so much discontent how can we save this organisation from total collapse ?

On 10/01/2023 at 17:11, oowee said:

unless your from Ukraine, like my lodger then the door just seems to open by magic

There is some truth in that because the hotels that are being used to house the migrants and refugees get ambulances called to them every day The people looking after the migrants are scared of any of them dying of anything, however trivial, on their shift. Duty of care and all that. Got to cover your tail.

Much the same thing happened when my great aunt was in a nursing home. Every little chest or urinary infection and an ambulance was called and she would be packed off to hospital 

Everybody is so scared of being accused of negligence these days but it is the ambulance and A&E that get lumbered 

13 hours ago, armsid said:

Just out of interest how did we access medical treatment before 1940?  how was it paid for

Generally you didn't unless you could get some charitable help.

Although lots of basic local schemes grew up working on a penny a week community chest arrangements for workers. If you could afford the penny.

One of the reasons for the rise in unions and various cooperative societies.  As is still the case in America it was a good reason to belong to a church

The key word being basic though

14 hours ago, armsid said:

Just out of interest how did we access medical treatment before 1940?  how was it paid for

My mother's first job at age 14 in 1937 was as the office girl to a small Sheffield mutual medical insurance society, which, apart from covering gp and hospital treatment also covered drugs from the chemist. One of her early roles was to act as a mystery shopper to buy discounted cough linctus from the chemist to check that it was freshly made up. Her innocent face dispelled suspicion.

I see Keir Starmer was blabbing on the BBC Sunday morning about reforming the NHS....

I have an idea...

Let's turn the NHS on it's head and start by paying the people who are hands-on delivering the care a realistic salary that reflects the commitment and dedication to do the job 24x7x365.

NHS Trust Chief Execs are in the £300k+ territory - there's no way that anyone in the public sector can justify that kind of salary - are they delivering shareholder value as we'd expect to see in the private sector (hard to justify here too)?  That would be a 'no' then.

The salaries paid to the non-care delivery staff in the NHS need to reflect the job itself - not attached to an eternal gravy train funded by the tax-payer.