Battle tanks (how useful ?)

ditchman

On 25/01/2023 at 12:27, ditchman said:

i still think tanks are a waste of time

Welsh1 has pretty much covered it. I've see some of the footage of the tank battles in Ukraine, and a solo Challenger would have dominated the battle with the Russian armour. 

My biggest worry is the Russians capturing a Challenger or Abrahams and reverse engineering their own.

Perhaps, when it comes to western military tech, our government/military advisors, just aren't worried if this happens, as we can easily counter them 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Newbie to this

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

My biggest worry is the Russians capturing a Challenger or Abrahams and reverse engineering their own.

That's why I dont think for one moment the Ukrainians will be given all the most up to date operating systems. If any?

Besides it would take a long time to train the crews on how to use all the systems to their full potential 

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Welsh1 has pretty much covered it. I've see some of the footage of the tank battles in Ukraine, and a solo Challenger would have dominated the battle with the Russian armour. 

Perhaps, when it comes to western military tech, our government/military advisors, just aren't worried if this happens, as we can easily counter them 🤷‍♂️

We are seeing on the battlefield that effective use of a system is vastly different from creating one. Some of the Russian gear is in theory a match for much of what we have in the west. What is missing is training, organisational structures, freedom of expression to criticse, ability to control corruption, and clarity of objective. The top down autocratic structure further holds them back.

It would not be a far stretch of the imagination to put the Chinese military in the same boat. 

23 minutes ago, oowee said:

What is missing is training, organisational structures, freedom of expression to criticse, ability to control corruption, and clarity of objective. The top down autocratic structure further holds them back.

And Ukraine is exactly in the same boat and now being asked to learn to use Western weapon systems and it's going to be pitiful.

im still interested / facinated as to how these tanks will be used.....i cant see any western desert /Kirsk slugathon's...

time will tell

think they might be used to punch a couple of holes into the main supply route of Russian occupied land...which will isolate the agressor into 3....2 of which wont be supplied...........

very easy for me to say this from the comfort of my arm chair..

7 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

What makes you think they haven't already been learning.

My nephew is on the tank simulators with the fussiliers. 

13 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

And Ukraine is exactly in the same boat and now being asked to learn to use Western weapon systems and it's going to be pitiful.

Many wrote them off at the start. I would back them in a fight. 

My thoughts are how to hold them back when they have long range rockets and aircraft, russia is back in its borders and the russian rockets keep coming in. 

Just now, oowee said:

My nephew is on the tank simulators with the fussiliers. 

My thoughts are how to hold them back when they have long range rockets and aircraft, russia is back in its borders and the russian rockets keep coming in. 

My Son is an armourer for the challenger weapon systems, one of the courses he was supposed to go on has been delayed because his place has been taken along with others, the peoplewho are  on those courses are not British.

15 minutes ago, henry d said:

It also makes me think, why use tanks if the enemy has many more. However how many Russian tanks are actively available and how many are you willing to use (lose) before you become vulnerable yourself?

One good modern battle tank is capable of seeing off many older tanks.

"180 Challenger tanks were deployed during the Gulf War and proved their reliability in desert conditions. The Challengers advanced nearly 350 km in 97 hours, destroying a total of 300 Iraqi armoured vehicles (including one tank at a range of 5 km) for no loss."

Part of russias problem is renewing kit and getting the latest technology, they are struggling becaue of the restrictions placed by other coulntries.,when you have large loses, replacement kit may be available, trained people may not, How much loss can russia sustain before the coffers are dry and putin falls down the stairs

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

wonder if the challenger #2 tanks will be up rated to the challeger #3 smootbore barrell...

I wouldn't think so as the whole turret and asociated systems have to be replaced, and the british army are only uprading part of the current challenger two's,(148 out of approx 220) .

19 hours ago, oowee said:

Wars are about logistics more than individual attack or defence.

The only reason Ukraine was not broken last summer is the huge quantity of free weapons being given to them by the USA, UK and EU, however the current immediate pleading for tanks is to replace the ones that have been destroyed, but 100 to 200 tanks from the West to not going to replace the thousands that Russia has destroyed.

2 hours ago, Stonepark said:

The only reason Ukraine was not broken last summer is the huge quantity of free weapons being given to them by the USA, UK and EU, however the current immediate pleading for tanks is to replace the ones that have been destroyed, but 100 to 200 tanks from the West to not going to replace the thousands that Russia has destroyed.

😁 Time will tell. Given Ukraine only had 982 tanks to start with I doubt Ukraine has lost thousands. 

Edited by oowee

3 hours ago, Stonepark said:

You also forgot to mention how the Russian advance stalled due to lack of logistics. 

1 hour ago, henry d said:

You also forgot to mention how the Russian advance stalled due to lack of logistics. 

Talk to any logistician and they will tell you they are the most important link in the chain once the shooting starts. No point in having tanks if you can't supply or repair them. 

25 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

Talk to any logistician and they will tell you they are the most important link in the chain once the shooting starts. No point in having tanks if you can't supply or repair them. 

Wellington was the first to do something to rectify this problem.......instead of relying on heavy slow moving wagons pulled by oxen,,,,he asked for a lightweight ...sprung 2 wheeled jig to be designed......pulled by one horse.....these were fastmoving...they didnt get stuck...and goods started to arrive quickly and undamaged.....he had sorted the supply line problem..............i think there is a well know painting in the war musemn of the supply jig in action.......

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

Wellington was the first to do something to rectify this problem.......instead of relying on heavy slow moving wagons pulled by oxen,,,,he asked for a lightweight ...sprung 2 wheeled jig to be designed......pulled by one horse.....these were fastmoving...they didnt get stuck...and goods started to arrive quickly and undamaged.....he had sorted the supply line problem..............i think there is a well know painting in the war musemn of the supply jig in action.......

Were you there?