Otter

islandgun

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Nice to see this Otter today. In its natural habitat rummaging about in some rock pools looking for Blennies or shore crabs. maybe not so welcome in a stocked fish pond down south.😉851531267_P1070584(1).JPG.3e542686401f7a09d0545a1b9518b9c7.JPG 

Brilliant photo I G , we have got Otters but I seem to find them very illusive , I have often seen the foot prints going across the mud flats and bumped into people who have told they had just seen one yet I am up along the river virtually every day and only managed to see them on the odd occasion . maybe the time will come where we see nearly as many dead Otters on the road verges as we do deer :hmm:

17 hours ago, marsh man said:

Brilliant photo I G , we have got Otters but I seem to find them very illusive , I have often seen the foot prints going across the mud flats and bumped into people who have told they had just seen one yet I am up along the river virtually every day and only managed to see them on the odd occasion . maybe the time will come where we see nearly as many dead Otters on the road verges as we do deer 

One lives in hope. There's no other means of control.

A trip on the Broads should cure that, they come out for fun, so I hear.

7 hours ago, Penelope said:

One lives in hope. There's no other means of control.

A trip on the Broads should cure that, they come out for fun, so I hear.

Paul ,   You can blame  Mr Phillip Wayre for the numbers of Otters that are now in every inland waterway in the U K that hold fish, he brought them back from the brink and now the fisheries are feeling the brunt of the numbers up and down the country .

When the Coypu got out of control they introduced Coypu Control and with the help of the 62 / 63 Winter they nigh on brought them to extinction ,  now they are tucked away in the history books .

Trouble is now we are in a vastly different world than we were in the early sixties , hands up the public who would like to see a Otter Control come into force , can't see many at the moment and I very much doubt there will be many with there hands up .    MM 

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

Paul ,   You can blame  Mr Phillip Wayre for the numbers of Otters that are now in every inland waterway in the U K that hold fish, he brought them back from the brink and now the fisheries are feeling the brunt of the numbers up and down the country .

When the Coypu got out of control they introduced Coypu Control and with the help of the 62 / 63 Winter they nigh on brought them to extinction ,  now they are tucked away in the history books .

Trouble is now we are in a vastly different world than we were in the early sixties , hands up the public who would like to see a Otter Control come into force , can't see many at the moment and I very much doubt there will be many with there hands up .    MM 

As I am sure you will know, otters don’t only eat fish. 
They will eat anything with blood in it.

58 minutes ago, London Best said:

As I am sure you will know, otters don’t only eat fish. 
They will eat anything with blood in it.

When the Coypus first escaped from the nutria farms in the Broadland area they were in there natural environment , a good food sauce , waterways and isolation , within a short time they had multiplied and were out of control , this could be the same with the Otter only on a slower scale , Is it right they have got a bullet prof ( excuse the pun ) protection order and at the moment it would be nigh on impossible to get a license to cull a few ?

In Thetford they are becoming a tourist attraction with them now getting tame and the people can watch them playing and swimming in the small river which is on the outskirts of the town .

For the time being they are going nowhere and we will have to learn to live with the increasing numbers .   MM

On 26/02/2023 at 15:31, billytheghillie said:

plenty of them up here on the Tweed, they have become a common sight.

Agree with that. I was fly-fishing for Trout last March in the Tweed a mile up stream from Berwick and mother and two youngsters swam past whilst I was wading mid stream. For some reason I did not get so much as a pull that session

• 3 weeks later...

I've  got no problems with otters infact I like seeing them my biggest problem is Gosshawks  Tawny owls and Buzzards  so to combat this we put a couple of hundred more poults down to combat with losses if we create food sauces for these creatures  then we got to put up with the cosaquensis 

Edited by Rim Fire