Altering a forend

Dave at kelton

So, having bought a Yildiz I want to change the schnabel forend which I hate with a passion. I hold the gun well forward so find it very uncomfortable. I am proposing to tape over the majority and then gently sand away with the grain until I have removed the edge forming a rounded end. I will refinish when I have the desired shape

Does anyone have any advice or comments on this as a proposal?

I’ve no knowledge on altering wood on guns so I shall refrain from comment on that and leave it to those more knowledgeable. The only thing I would say is bare in mind any alteration to the gun will likely void any warranty that it may carry. Although it is technically only an aesthetic modification we all know how companies like to get out of any warranty/insurance by any means possible. 

I don’t hold my guns that far forward, but I know exactly what you mean as I too hate a schnabel fore-end. 
I much prefer a trap fore-end and have made various enquiries in various places about a replacement, regarding my Gamba, but to no avail.
I’ve considered doing the same with the Gamba, and while it isn’t the quality of the wood which is putting me off, having drawn a line via my minds eye through the shape I want, I don’t think there’d be a lot of meat left as it were, to create the look I like, as the fire-end at that point is very slim. 
Just something to bear in mind. 

Edited by Scully

21 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

I’ve no knowledge on altering wood on guns so I shall refrain from comment on that and leave it to those more knowledgeable. The only thing I would say is bare in mind any alteration to the gun will likely void any warranty that it may carry. Although it is technically only an aesthetic modification we all know how companies like to get out of any warranty/insurance by any means possible. 

Thanks it’s second hand so that is not a worry.

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

So, having bought a Yildiz I want to change the schnabel forend which I hate with a passion. I hold the gun well forward so find it very uncomfortable. I am proposing to tape over the majority and then gently sand away with the grain until I have removed the edge forming a rounded end. I will refinish when I have the desired shape

Does anyone have any advice or comments on this as a proposal?

If the wood is stained you may find that matching the stain...or even matching the correct "sheen" of the varnish is nigh impossible. The only advice I'd give is to wet the grain to raise it before the final sanding, have a known straight edge to check against such as a steel rule, metal bar or somesuch and every now and again stand back and see what you have so far achieved. You really can stand too close go the wood to see the forest.

Edited by enfieldspares

I once had a Beretta eell that I had a similar problem with. A local gunsmith, who had a particular talent with wood, rounded off the front of the forend and it was a great job. So it is possible, he used a surform file to shape it, then various grades of sandpaper to finish it. Some stock oil and job done.

Make a block of wood that fits snugly in the forend and extends for a couple of inches back and front . This will enable you to hold it in a vice or clamp it to a bench.

Doing this will not only make it easier as well as lessening risk of damage /splitting.

I always did it this when working on O/U  forend woods  be it altering , renovating and finishing .

I assume that the Yildiz has a Deeley latch as opposed to a Anson push button. I don’t think that the latter would leave sufficient wood to make a flowing line and look right. Whereas I’m sure that a decent job could be done with a Deeley latch type fore end. 
I’ve often thought of doing the same but my O/Us all have Anson push buttons and don’t look as though it would work. 
I cannot imagine, given adequate amount of wood to play with, it would be an awkward job to do. I’m no expert woodworker but I think that I could make a reasonable job of it, even if it meant a complete refinish of the wood.

OB