Boots advice required please

Dave at kelton

Admin, hope this is posted in the right section. If not please move.

I have a few trips planned this year and am looking for an ankle boot that:

I can: wear all day in different terrain incl driving, has a rigid sole that I would not feel rough ground through, is robust but not overly heavy, and won’t break the bank. It will generally be warm and dry so waterproof is not a necessity.

I have ruled out things like altbergs and general walking shoes. I had in mind something like a desert, or corteney boot but that latter are hellishly expensive. 

Suggestions please?

I would recommend as I have a pair, (not for sale) British Army desert boots made by Iturri and can often be picked up for £50 to £75 issued but brand new in box.

Probably exactly what you are looking for, solid sole, relatively light weight and breathable and feel indestructible.

DSC_0079~2.JPG

Edited by Stonepark

My priority would be comfort, not price.   Sore feet can ruin your day, and even the most expensive brands might only account for a very small proportion of the cost of each outing.

I have been lucky enough to find cheap boots that fit my feet very well, so I wear them all day and every day, buy a new “best” pair each year, and demote the old ones to garden use.    Those £20 “Site Slate” safety boots from Screwfix are costing me less than 10 pence per day.   Other folk might not like them, but for me they would still be good value at twenty times the price, simly because they are comfortable.

If you have a local Decathlon sports store have a look at their boot range. They have some cheap tat, but their better stuff is OK.  

I buy them for local dog walking, a few miles every day, and they last me between 1-2 years, but I am very heavy on boots. I buy the fabric boots with a gore-tex liner and they have always been waterproof. Latest pair was £109.99

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your advice. Went online and picked up these Dutch army desert boots by Meindl for £40 plus postage. Seem comfortable on initial try; test will be a good walk. Well made as I would expect and aside of needing a clean in great condition with almost no wear to the soles. Any tips on cleaner for the nubuck or just light soap and water and scrubbing brush?

218ED59C-1EF9-4302-BD8B-0FD1AEEC16F0.jpeg

Edited by Dave at kelton

35 minutes ago, holloway said:

I didn’t like the light colour of mine so I just rubbed brown shoe polish into them .

Bought these because they were light and can be worn with jeans etc 

35 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

Dedito boots do a tall boot and a ankle boot I've had mine 4 years absolutely brillant 

Yep but not what I needed for my trips to France and N America where I need a light weight but robust boot for general wear. I use a high leg in heavy leather when on the hill.