Unlawful changes to England gamebird release licence challenged by BASC

7 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I don't always agree with Rewulf, but I have never thought of him as anti-shooting or a troll.

I see no evidence to support that allegation.

Some of his posts do seem a bit anti game shooting. 
I get the impression he is predominately very much a club target shooter. 
I don’t want to become involved in the argument, but that is just the impression I have formed, rightly or wrongly.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, London Best said:

Some of his posts do seem a bit anti game shooting. 
I get the impression he is predominately very much a club target shooter. 
I don’t want to become involved in the argument, but that is just the impression I have formed, rightly or wrongly.

Mmmm, although I don't game shoot personally, I have no issues with it at all, most of my friends do it. 

Although I'm involved in several target clubs, I very rarely do much target shooting these days, I'm more into coaching. 

My greatest pleasure shooting wise, is twice a week out on permissions foxing, or the upcoming badger cull. I'll occasionally take the shotgun out on the crows, or a couple of times a month on the clays. 

I consider myself an all rounder, so can relate to most aspects, but anti shooting? 

I think not. 

Although i have never met Rewulf i find his comments logical unbiased and sensible even though he does not game shoot he is still a member of the shooting clan to which we are all members .This legislation affects all of us as it is chipping away at our pastime hobby and once there is limited opposition to it then they could start on numbers of pigeons you can shoot number of ducks etc. might sound far fetched but if it can happen it will unless all shooters stick together

Hi not only the numbers wildfowl allowed to be shot but the number of wildflowers allowed to be out shooting them. 
  Pheasants kept in a pen are livestock, to be released or if they escape within 500 metres from the boundary of European sites a licence is required because they are classed as none native animals under the 1981 wildlife act. In the wild they are covered by the 1831 game act. If caught from the wild it’s back to livestock. 
 The Secretary of State is to review the operation and effectiveness of the license and is required to publish a report before 30th May 2024. 
  Will his report cover none native animals, livestock, or game birds. The license to kill game has been abolished should the game laws be changed or abolished. 

As outlined above the challenges are aplenty - and BASC is our last line of defence - because whenever and wherever the threat arises BASC is there fighting our corner - and that includes recent and ongoing threats to wildfowling, game shooting, target shooting and every other shooting discipline now and into the future. 

Those that continue use every BASC update on PW as an opportunity to put BASC down are doing a disservice to shooting.

Click here for the facts on gamebird releasing general licence GL43

Click here to help defend gun ownership

Click here to help defend against an attack by United Utilities on shooting

29 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Those that continue use every BASC update on PW as an opportunity to put BASC down are doing a disservice to shooting.

yet another slur against members from the man calling others troll you sir are a disgrace to the shooting community! 

Who on earth is going to Police what is released where, the answer is absolutely nobody.    What a farcical rule, how long does it take a Pheasant to travel 500 yards?   Our SSSI is a boggy rushy mess, not sure what is special about it or what damage a Pheasant will do to it. 

Edited by Weihrauch17

I have lost shooting ducks on 5 farms because of the SSSI and there is absolutely nothing there but sheep who graze all year round i wonder if they affect the SSSI the ground floods when we get heavy rain because it is tidal so i cant see anything being of interest 

As luck has it i still got 3 flight ponds to shoot over  its just another way to stop shooting 

On 30/07/2023 at 09:53, Gordon R said:

The accusation was "anti shooting", not anti game shooting. It was a sweeping statement, along with the troll label. I still await any evidence.

You'll have a long wait, Gordon.

On 30/07/2023 at 11:43, clangerman said:

rewulf is one of the most fair handed people on here accusations and insults yet again from connor to get a bite from him the actions of a TROLL! 

Agreed.

On 30/07/2023 at 13:03, Pushandpull said:

You are probably, like many shooters, unaware that the numbers of ducks and geese that can be shot on SSSIs are already becoming hugely restricted by Natural England. Many wildfowling clubs are being affected by this.

Ridiculous in some cases. I believe one clubs consent, would be a half decent flight for two guns.

19 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

I still find it peculiar how this kind of response comes from simple questions.
Questions that are extremely pertinent to the issue at hand, yet the possible answers seem to be elusive , or how shall we say, 'tricky'  ?

BASC say they are going to fight this through the courts, on the basis of it being 'unlawful' , plus the absolute head shot of a statement 'The avian flu threat is unproven'
Staggering really....

The fall back seems to be , 'The government didnt tell us quickly enough, and now some game shoots will suffer financially'

Ill say again , good luck with that.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/10/calls-to-ban-gamebird-release-to-avoid-catastrophic-avian-flu-outbreak

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/opinion/3479251/bird-flu-scotland-opinion-jim-crumley/

@rewulf I should know better than to feed the troll but I must correct your latest attempt at spreading misinformation about BASC on PW.

BASC has never stated as you assert above in quotation marks that 'the avian flu threat is unproven'. You completely made that up didn't you? I think you should apologise to PW members for misleading them.

PW members - please click here for the facts

1 hour ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

BASC has never stated as you assert above in quotation marks that 'the avian flu threat is unproven

Conor, it's from your own website! 

https://basc.org.uk/basc-accuse-defra-of-issuing-illegal-advice/

'BASC also claims the advice has been issued in response to an avian influenza risk that is unproven.'

23 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Conor, it's from your own website! 

https://basc.org.uk/basc-accuse-defra-of-issuing-illegal-advice/

'BASC also claims the advice has been issued in response to an avian influenza risk that is unproven.'

Let's be clear - what you published on PW as a BASC statement is not from BASC's website - you made it up. And you have done exactly the same thing on numerous occasions on PW previously on numerous topics.  Please stop using PW to publish misinformation about BASC.

11 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Let's be clear - what you published on PW as a BASC statement is not from BASC's website - you made it up. And you have done exactly the same thing on numerous occasions on PW previously on numerous topics.  Please stop using PW to publish misinformation about BASC.

What does that say then 🤣

Screenshot_20230801_210334.jpg

11 hours ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

I don’t know if you’re getting your wires crossed Conor or I am but….I did a bit of searching on BASC’s website and found what you claim rewulf has made up?! 

IMG_4509.png.5bc1b4752ea6a0ec394f02e245457700.png

Edited by Ttfjlc

Conor - I am struggling with what you assert. You have called Rewulf anti-shooting and a troll. You then appear to accuse him of fabricating material which he attributes to BASC. You say 

what you published on PW as a BASC statement is not from BASC's website - you made it up.

I too have been on BASC's website and found the same as Rewulf and Ttfjlc.

Perhaps you could clarify.

13 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Is this simply a mistake or is there a full explanation?

Well, Im guessing its a mistake , and despite me quoting the text and providing the link to err, BASCs website that actually says it 3 TIMES in previous posts, it seems Conor didnt bother to check, and called me out as a liar and a troll.

Or... The quoted text 'BASC also claims the advice has been issued in response to an avian influenza risk that is unproven.' doesnt actually mean what it err, clearly states ?

Who knows ? Because, as in other exchanges, when Conor doesnt like a question , he just ignores it, which is fine , he doesnt have to, its just  as a representative of BASC , it just makes the whole organisation look a bit shady.

18 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Perhaps you could clarify.

Things Ive learned about BASC in the last couple of years.

They dont do consultations or votes with their membership on important matters, like legal cover, lead ect
They dont like answering genuine questions of concern.
They dont do clarity.

19 hours ago, Ttfjlc said:

I don’t know if you’re getting your wires crossed Conor or I am but….I did a bit of searching on BASC’s website and found what you claim rewulf has made up?! 

IMG_4509.png.5bc1b4752ea6a0ec394f02e245457700.png

He posted that BASC stated 'the avian flu threat is unproven' which he made up and then proceeded to criticise BASC for his made up statement. It's as simple as that albeit there are some on here that want to make an issue out of any BASC update to cause rows and division.

A recent press update is here:

https://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/23685039.danny-kruger-mp-intervenes-government-changes-shooting-rules/

3 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

He posted that BASC stated 'the avian flu threat is unproven'

Dont be ridiculous Conor, I posted that once, and if you want to be pedantic about the use of 'risk' and 'threat' , that mean pretty much the same thing anyway, I quoted the actual post and link to BASC 3 times, and you called me a liar and said Id made it up !
Why didnt you just protest at my use of the word 'threat' ?
Or, to not dig yourself the massive hole youve made for yourself, just do what you normally do , and just ignore the comment ?
Why dont you try and mitigate this disaster, and answer the question , why do BASC see the RISK of avian flu , in this instance as 'unproven' when DEFRA , who have far more resources to hand , do think its a risk/threat/issue ?
Or do you support the party line that DEFRA have done all this because they just want to nasty to game shoots near protected areas ?