One for the electricians on here.

I've got armoured cable going from my house into my shed. It starts off by being 'underground' (patio stones) but then runs on top of the fence between myself and next door. The ence is being renewed soon and moved back approx 2 ft to my boundary. This would make the cable too short, and I was wondering if extra length could be joined outside or would I have to have a complete new length?

The cost of a new length of cable, a section of black water pipe as ducting and digging it in are worth the hassle.

You could use an external waterproof joint box, but it introduces another point of potential failure into your system and most external joints fail at some point.

Could you not retain the current cable, disconnect from the shed end, run what cable you can through a length of duct and bury it along it's entire length? 

Apart from the digging, it would far easier than routing a new armored cable through your patio and house to the consumer unit. 

IMO, even though the cable is armored, it's always better to have it concealed away from external influences. Sunlight degrades the sheathing over time (regardless of manufacturer claims of UV resistance) and rodents are quite fond of sharpening their teeth on it. 

Edited by Poor Shot

9 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

As above the fewer joints the less hassle in the future.

What will you do with the extra 2 foot strip of land?

The extra two foot of land belongs to me, as when my builder erected the fence many years ago (while I was on holiday) he came in from the boundary by approx' two feet. This will have patio slabs put on it.

7 hours ago, discobob said:

is it buried or ducted under your patio - that is the question that needs answering at first to then focus on the amount of work each option would be required.

whichever way you go - get a spark in to do it

Good question. The cable was laid 'after' my patio was put down, as the builder 'forgot' that I wanted power in my shed. It comes out from a point in my kitchen, through the wall, then around part of it and then under 3 patio slabs, before being attached to the top fence posts. This was all done while I was away on holidays, and although I wasn't happy about it, decided to leave it as it was. I'm now renewing the fence and posts, which will be fitted in line with the boundary. Doing this means that the cable will be too short, and I was hoping that a length could be connected to it by means of a junction box, possible fitted on the side of my (breeze block built) shed.

8 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

Could you not retain the current cable, disconnect from the shed end, run what cable you can through a length of duct and bury it along it's entire length? 

Apart from the digging, it would far easier than routing a new armored cable through your patio and house to the consumer unit

IMO, even though the cable is armored, it's always better to have it concealed away from external influences. Sunlight degrades the sheathing over time (regardless of manufacturer claims of UV resistance) and rodents are quite fond of sharpening their teeth on it. 

The cable runs on top of the fence and goes into the shed (small consumer unit inside)

Where you intend to joint the old cable with new - could this have an outdoor socket installed here at that joint? - it would act as the joint plus provide an outdoor garden socket?

outdoor-socket-e1569974393923.jpg

Edited by J.R.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Where you intend to joint the old cable with new - could this have an outdoor socket installed here at that joint? - it would act as the joint plus provide an outdoor garden socket?

outdoor-socket-e1569974393923.jpg

That's a good idea, but I'm hoping that the junction box can be fitted to the side of my shed wall, which probably won't be accessed much.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2023 at 15:23, steve_b_wales said:

UPDATE:

The electrician callled and I explained what I would like done. He agreed and said that he will add a few metres of cable and use an outdoor waterproof junction box which will either be fitted to the side of my shed (concrete block)

This would be quite acceptable. Obviously one continuous length is preferable but there’s no issue with a joint done properly in a waterproof enclosure, especially one above ground in an accessible position (like the side of your block built shed). 
It’s how it’s fed in the first place that’s more likely to need checking!