Discovery 4 possible new car??

Arley

After owning a Disco 3 for 10 years i finally changed to a Volvo XC60 last year, to be honest as a car goes i love the Volvo but i miss the room and the drive position from driving the Disco and with 3 dogs the boot on the Volvo is not really suitable, i am test driving a Disco 4 tomorrow i know the owner and he has had the truck from new and has kept it in good condition, he is up grading to a newer model.

Just to add the wife who does not drive hates the Volvo with a passion, i am tempted to keep it just to wind her up lol

Any thought on the Disco 4 please from folks who have owned one please

I owned a Discovery 3 for about 4 years. It was a fantastic machine and certain jobs I could do myself. I had the timing belts and oil pump replaced by a garage 12 months before I sold it. I got rid of it because I was selling up (sold 3 cars and bought an A6 Allroad) and it went to a guy I work with. 6 months after I sold it the engine seized solid. Spun a main bearing and locked up solid. 

I’ve heard MANY a story of the 3.0 v6 cranks failing. I’d love a D4, but £600+ a year for tax and 20mpg puts me off now. But I do miss the space inside the boot, the Audi just doesn’t come close. 

if you do buy one, the best advice I can give you is make sure you have a good chunk of cash saved up in a bank account titled “Landrover repairs” ….. circa £5k, ish…. Because you never know!!! 

We owned a discovery 4 for 2-3 years 

it was a great car ideal for 2 dogs-  until the inlet manifold cracked 

we had an RAC warranty on the car so thought “happy days “ as the bill came to about £3.5k due to needing to dismantle half the vehicle to get to it but RAC warranty refused to pay as it was a well known issue and failed over time 

so car was great but be prepared to find one that’s been well loved or get a genuine JLR warranty if it’s under 10Y/100k miles from your dealer (they just do an inspection)

im trying to work out if you can get a disco under 10 yo

D

I currently run a Discovery 4 2015 plate, brilliant Land Rover, my one is the last not to have add blue which can be a pain so try to avoid the stuff ,make sure both front and rear timing belts are done, that job will cost over a £1000 to do just had mine done. You will always hear how bad they are and yes some people have had major problems, but so have a lot of other people with other makes of vehicles that you never hear about, keep it well serviced and don’t expect to run it on a lemonade money, the ride is lovely and it will do pretty much anything you ask of it in comfort.

chris.

2 hours ago, mgsontour said:

Japanese 4x4 seem to win over the green badge 4x4's

I'm not sure theres a jap 4x4 with the same space as a Disco 4 outside the Land Cruiser - which can be silly money or rocket ship mileages

I would have gone for a LC but the Disco was much cheaper looking at equiv. age/miles and the Mrs took to the Disco but not the LC

3 hours ago, Downforce said:

We owned a discovery 4 for 2-3 years 

it was a great car ideal for 2 dogs-  until the inlet manifold cracked 

we had an RAC warranty on the car so thought “happy days “ as the bill came to about £3.5k due to needing to dismantle half the vehicle to get to it but RAC warranty refused to pay as it was a well known issue and failed over time 

so car was great but be prepared to find one that’s been well loved or get a genuine JLR warranty if it’s under 10Y/100k miles from your dealer (they just do an inspection)

im trying to work out if you can get a disco under 10 yo

D

Wow , would that same reasoning not apply to just about everything that breaks on a car.  Would be really peed off with that

6 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

Wow , would that same reasoning not apply to just about everything that breaks on a car.  Would be really peed off with that

Yes completely useless in my opinion - from the statistics and data I got from RACs warranty administrator (look up "The Warranty Group" reviews on trustpilot), it seems like the payout criteria is very limited and specific and pretty much nothing is covered unless it explodes in a ball of fire with a demon on top on a the second wednesday of a month with a z in it (obviously thats me being sarchastic but theres not many people saying very much good about it on the reviews)

In essence the fact that its branded RAC is irrelevent it seems the contract is between the consumer and the garage and the admisistration is done by TWG - RAC have nothing to do with it and if you call them they will just point you at TWG

I argued that it was a sudden failure (even though thats not the policy wording) and lost at ombudsman

On the flipside the Audi and JLR warranty have been excellent

I agree with the comment regarding every car has its downsides, and if you found a D4 that never goes wrong, you’re a winner. I was on the D3/4 Facebook page for a while, and every day was a different story of someone’s engine failing on a D4. Including one that had done 50k, 5 years old, serviced every 10k at Landrover. On return from a LR garage after its 50k service (oil change etc) the following day it wouldn’t start. Crank had split in two on its final shutdown. 11k for a new motor. 

im not trying to put anyone off. I’d rather they were aware of the risk factor, ensure they have full breakdown/roadside assistance and a spare car for when it goes wrong. They’re great motors otherwise! 

Sold mine a couple months back....miss it big time..one of the best vehicles I've ever owned..yep but more to run..mine was ok for the years I had it..my issue was no one local knew enough about them....best all rounder out there....ps jap jeeps may be more reliable but the disco has all the comfort and space you ll ever need

On 04/06/2023 at 21:06, Arley said:

After owning a Disco 3 for 10 years i finally changed to a Volvo XC60 last year, to be honest as a car goes i love the Volvo but i miss the room and the drive position from driving the Disco and with 3 dogs the boot on the Volvo is not really suitable, i am test driving a Disco 4 tomorrow i know the owner and he has had the truck from new and has kept it in good condition, he is up grading to a newer model.

Just to add the wife who does not drive hates the Volvo with a passion, i am tempted to keep it just to wind her up lol

Any thought on the Disco 4 please from folks who have owned one please

Did you buy it 🤔

I bought and sold 4x4's on a casual basis for nearly ten years (though mainly Jap pickups) and know a bit about reliability with various models. I agree with above comments as far as yes, they may look and drive well but don't expect Landcruiser reliability and you may occasionally need deep pockets if anything major goes wrong. If you get a potential purchase well checked out and it has decent history you will probably be quite happy

I had a 2007 D3 V6, bought at 40,000 miles, sold at 110,000. Only ever issues were EGR valves and an air suspension compressor.

Then i had a 2011 D4 V6, bought at 25,000 miles, sold that at 120,000 miles to "a car buying website!" in 2021 when the rear crankshaft bearing seal started to occasionally drip oil onto the turbo housing and cause some smoke to come from under the bonnet (body off to fix it, but if you've got a 4 post ramp, not too difficult - my local ex landrover mechanic didnt have one so main dealer wanted £2,5k to fix it), but other than that, the only issue was lower front suspension bushes, but it was time for a change!

Now have a D5 Landmark, no issues to date.

Also had a 200TDi, but that was a shooting/hobby truck so lots of "elective" stuff done to that!! Wouldn't be without one, just warming the wife up to get her a Velar (neighbours had one, they loved it and even they'd admit it had no issues, but for some reason traded it in for a BMW X4M, but now have a 5 year old RR Sport v8 diesel, again no issues with either of them!).

Mate has a D3 at 230,000 miles (main family car), gearbox needs a flush, but other than that, all good!

15 hours ago, AlistairB said:

I had a 2007 D3 V6, bought at 40,000 miles, sold at 110,000. Only ever issues were EGR valves and an air suspension compressor.

Then i had a 2011 D4 V6, bought at 25,000 miles, sold that at 120,000 miles to "a car buying website!" in 2021 when the rear crankshaft bearing seal started to occasionally drip oil onto the turbo housing and cause some smoke to come from under the bonnet (body off to fix it, but if you've got a 4 post ramp, not too difficult - my local ex landrover mechanic didnt have one so main dealer wanted £2,5k to fix it), but other than that, the only issue was lower front suspension bushes, but it was time for a change!

Now have a D5 Landmark, no issues to date.

Also had a 200TDi, but that was a shooting/hobby truck so lots of "elective" stuff done to that!! Wouldn't be without one, just warming the wife up to get her a Velar (neighbours had one, they loved it and even they'd admit it had no issues, but for some reason traded it in for a BMW X4M, but now have a 5 year old RR Sport v8 diesel, again no issues with either of them!).

Mate has a D3 at 230,000 miles (main family car), gearbox needs a flush, but other than that, all good!

You very rarely hear these experiences 👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏