Neighbour parking at end of our lane

Shadowchaser

Harvest is only round the corner so maybe a polite warning that large machinery access needed 24 7 and if said vehicle is in the way it will be politely moved with said telly handler good luck with whatever you decide we only want to live in peace but when we get a hole like this it gets the heckles up 

7 minutes ago, Imperfection said:

Chances are, they're oblivious of who actually owns it. Always try and stay amicable with your neighbours. You never know when you need a pair of eyes or ears or help with anything.

Have a polite word.

I think this is it.  To give an idea of the entrance, it's directly off a main A road, his house is across the road.  We do have a sign with the name of the farm on either side of the end of the lane but as I've explained the gate is set back far enough for an articulated lorry to fully turn in.  Either side of the lane are fields which belong to us.  

We don't actually farm as such but we do run a business with HGV's coming in and out several times a day Mon - Sat and we rent out the fields to other neighbouring farmers who do indeed come on with their tractors to access the land.  Now if one such farmer wanted to come in on a Sunday afternoon and his vehicle was there, they would find it a tad difficult to get round. 

Your last point is a good one.  With his house being directly across the road from our entrance, it would always be appreciated if he reported to us anyone behaving suspiciously. Previous occupants have done. We also used to have a really good neighbour at another farm who would always phone us to report anyone on our land who obviously shouldn't have been there. Sadly he moved away and the current occupiers don't seem to have that mentality.  

I'll also add that when I was younger, (30 years ago) everyone in the area knew each other.  My Dad could name all of the residents at all of the houses, farms, cottages etc...

But now it's a mystery as to who lives where.  

The answer is:

1. To get ready, pull the land registry office copy entries with plan for his house and your house - that’s only about £12 (that will confirm if his property has a right of way over the lane, and if he thinks it does it will be handy to hand him your OCEs showing your land and your rights and hIs OCEs showing an absence of rights over your land). 

2. Then knock on his door (with the OCEs in your pocket) and ask him if he can keep his car out of the lane as you’re looking to instal a series of lockable lay flat bollards because of traveller concerns). No one will park where they think they may struggle to get out. Telling him about the bollards will flush out whether he mistakenly believes he has a right to park).

I’d have a word ask him politely not to do it. Also add a prominent sign on the gate / area clearly saying no parking. 

If he does it again you’ve got no real power to move the car. 

Just park and block it in for a week or stick a boulder there. 

When he moans point at the sign. 

It all depends how he responds to the polite request not to park there to begin with. 

What an angry and pessimistic bunch we are.

All this talk of trouble and need for legal documents?!?!

Just ask him why he's been parked there and explain that you'd rather he didn't. 

Anything else is just assuming there will be a problem when it's just as likley to be anything else.

Update us.

Edd

48 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

until you have established weather he has or hasn't got the rights to park there you cant ask him to move anything 

Interesting point.

A farming friend rents additional land, all arables, and at one particular entry point there is no gate off of a private road leading to the once Manor House, now apartments. I was once parked in the entrance way across the verge while surveying for pigeons etc. An apartment owner wandered across and somewhat pompously demanded to know who I was and why I was parked on his land. I politely explained I was surveying for farmer X for crop protection. He quietened down and explained that the verge, right up to the hedge line, was owned by and the responsibility of the tenants association the farmer only having right of way access across the land. They often experienced problem parking

We ended on a friendly note. I put his initial approach down to the fact that he didn’t know how to deal with the situation and thought that attack was the best line of defence.

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

until you have established weather he has or hasn't got the rights to park there you cant ask him to move anything 

No need to establish anything. The entire lane is ours totally up to the main road.  If I wanted to put a gate across the very end of the lane I could do, but as explained earlier it would impede access. 

I don't mind people parking up for a short time, be it a motorist pulling in for a 10 minute rest, or someone briefly visiting his house or one of the others along the road. But to park up his own vehicle when A. He has plenty of driveway/garage of his own and B. Isn't doing anything (such as work to his driveway) to warrant parking there, leaving it for several hours and even going out just isn't really on in my book. 

If he needed the space and came over and asked if he could park there for X amount of hours on X day then fine, no problem. 

We just don't want to end up in a situation where you've given someone and inch and they take a mile. 

I remember once driving home late at night I pulled in and slap bang in the middle of the lane was a car, pulled right up to the gate. 

I got out and walked up to the car and there was a couple in it. I stood by the drivers door waiting for him to wind the window down (they'd both noticed me by this point). I tapped on the window and he wound it down and said "can't you see we're having a conversation?"

I said "you're blocking my entrance, could you please move and have your conversation somewhere else?" Or words to that effect. He did oblige but acted like he was the one in the right and me in the wrong. 

I just don't get some people. 

2 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

Indeed. He’s going to say:

1. but I’ve always parked here and so did the owners before (whiff of prescriptive rights)

2. This is adopted or is a public right of way

3. No I definitely am ok to park here because (insert plausible reason)

All of which then involves two people (who may well still be acting politely) telling each other that they are wrong.

In this likely scenario (because human beings will never say ‘I knew the lane was yours and thought I’d park there all the same 🙄) it is whoever is holding the £12 land registry office copy entries and plans will be the person that gets to settle it, and in their favour.

Also, if the offending house sides onto the access road and has a pedestrian access side gate or set of gates to the rear / rear garden area of the property, then that’s a classic prescriptive rights bun fight waiting to happen or indeed there may be a prescribed right of access of which the OP was unaware - I’ve seen that happen before but normally farmers and country people are way more canny and rights aware when it comes to their land for that.

Edited by Mungler

The house in question is across from our property separated by an A road.  I can't see him pulling the "right of way" card. 

I can see him saying something like "I've been parking here for ages" or "I see other people park up all the time." "Why isn't there a sign then?"

I think I'm ready to respond to those in a calm neighbourly manner. 

It'll be interesting to hear his reason for parking there as there is absolutely zero need for it.   

Edited by Shadowchaser

3 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Indeed. He’s going to say:

1. but I’ve always parked here and so did the owners before (whiff of prescriptive rights)

2. This is adopted or is a public right of way

3. No I definitely am ok to park here because (insert plausible reason)

All of which then involves two people (who may well still be acting politely) telling each other that they are wrong.

In this likely scenario (because human beings will never say ‘I knew the lane was yours and thought I’d park there all the same 🙄) it is whoever is holding the £12 land registry office copy entries and plans will be the person that gets to settle it, and in their favour.

Also, if the offending house sides onto the access road and has a pedestrian access side gate or set of gates to the rear / rear garden area of the property, then that’s a classic prescriptive rights bun fight waiting to happen or indeed there may be a prescribed right of access of which the OP was unaware - I’ve seen that happen before but normally farmers and country people are way more canny and rights aware when it comes to their land for that.

With all due respect, you've not read all the OP's posts on this subject. The info he's relayed will negate your last paragraph 🙃😉

Just now, Shadowchaser said:

The house in question is across from our property separated by an A road.  I can't see him pulling the "right of way" card. 

I can see him saying something like "I've been parking here for ages" or "I see other people park up all the time." "Why isn't there a sign then?"

Haha,,,, posted at the same time 🤣

34 minutes ago, JKD said:

It really is a simple case of having a friendly chat with him on HIS doorstep, not on your property while he's parked there 😇

Interesting.  I was actually hoping to catch him parking and have a word with him there and then.  You think it's best to let him park up and then go over and speak. 

1 hour ago, Shadowchaser said:

Interesting.  I was actually hoping to catch him parking and have a word with him there and then.  You think it's best to let him park up and then go over and speak. 

Only suggested that as he will be on the defensive as soon as he sees you,,,, even more so on your property. My opinion anyway 🙂

Your choice at the end of the day 😉 I'm sure you are, but just be very friendly, and smiley 😁

2 hours ago, Shadowchaser said:

It'll be interesting to hear his reason for parking there as there is absolutely zero need for it.   

Re the final bullet point and as it’s just occurred to me; I don’t suppose this A road is duel carriageway?