Shooting

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, marsh man said:

Some people just don't get the opportunity to try there hand at decoying and a huge well done for the op to offer taking someone who he had never met , no doubt he had done his homework in trying too find the best place to get a bit of shooting and I know how nerve wrecking it is to take strangers out to give them some sport , do it really matter what the bag was and to be honest what difference would it make to us if they got a few or a load .

Give the bloke some credit instead of trying of insult him , if he said he didn't count them  , well leave it at that , I believe him and so should everyone else .

Thank you marshman,I was trying to be nice by offering some free shooting to afew people who have mo land to shoot, iam not bothered if I shoot 10 or 100,iam lucky I have 2 farm which have an enormous amount of land, pity only one person took up my offer as it is nice to be out with other people, I certainly don't need or deserve to be ridiculed by people for trying to give people a chance to shoot,if the member i took out would like to verify the amount of land I have to shoot then that is into him,I don't think I will be offering this again,I was surprised that no one else wanted to go,as this could of been some good days shooting for all on a long term basis, PS I did not count how many was shot,as I never do ,

15 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

I am a realist and am pretty certain the day was a bad day. Who doesnt count what they have shot .....noone I know.

How do you know what sort of day it was you were not there,

16 minutes ago, ladyjack said:

Thank you marshman,I was trying to be nice by offering some free shooting to afew people who have mo land to shoot, iam not bothered if I shoot 10 or 100,iam lucky I have 2 farm which have an enormous amount of land, pity only one person took up my offer as it is nice to be out with other people, I certainly don't need or deserve to be ridiculed by people for trying to give people a chance to shoot,if the member i took out would like to verify the amount of land I have to shoot then that is into him,I don't think I will be offering this again,I was surprised that no one else wanted to go,as this could of been some good days shooting for all on a long term basis, PS I did not count how many was shot,as I never do ,

How do you know what sort of day it was you were not there,

Intuition tells me it was a bad day with little shot. 

The fact that nobody took up your offer speaks volumes. 

Well done for offering the chance but think I will give it a miss 👍

2 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

This is totally uncalled for and giving the people of this forum a bad name. Pigeon shooting like all field sports should be treated with respect and you should show your fellow sports men (and women) respect. I expect you don't get many invites.

Anyway on from that. Well done that man for such an offer. I would have snapped your arms off if you were down south, and I do have land to shoot over.

I'll come out of the closet and tell you last time I went out I came back with one bird with one lost and was jolly happy about it. I don't go out aiming to shoot more than 30, as I process and eat everything I shoot. That's the only reason I may be counting. I'm also restricted to having to shoot when other schedules allow, so I make the best of what I can find on the day. I'm perfectly happy with that, my good day may be somebody else's worse day, but that's the nature of the sport and varying expectations. 

In this case everybody got far more than they paid for, so let's all be happy and thank the man for risking his own permissions to give people an opportunity to get into the sport.

15 minutes ago, bigroomboy said:

This is totally uncalled for and giving the people of this forum a bad name. Pigeon shooting like all field sports should be treated with respect and you should show your fellow sports men (and women) respect. I expect you don't get many invites.

Anyway on from that. Well done that man for such an offer. I would have snapped your arms off if you were down south, and I do have land to shoot over.

I'll come out of the closet and tell you last time I went out I came back with one bird with one lost and was jolly happy about it. I don't go out aiming to shoot more than 30, as I process and eat everything I shoot. That's the only reason I may be counting. I'm also restricted to having to shoot when other schedules allow, so I make the best of what I can find on the day. I'm perfectly happy with that, my good day may be somebody else's worse day, but that's the nature of the sport and varying expectations. 

In this case everybody got far more than they paid for, so let's all be happy and thank the man for risking his own permissions to give people an opportunity to get into the sport.

Why can't the guy just answer the question, doesn't matter if it was 1 or 100 ?

The fact he hasn't done this implies that it was a wasted day.

Pigeon shooting is carried out for crop protection...shooting a handful is not doing the required service. When I get called out I am out to shoot as many as possible, if not farmers will get somebody else and who can blame them.

You were happy with 1 bird ..easily pleased, I would have been very disappointed .

I know it happens but stop pretending you were happy when really you weren't, nobody goes out shooting to blank 🤣

1 hour ago, bigroomboy said:

Thank you  bigroomboy 

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Would you care to explain your comment, the fact nobody took up my offer speaks volumes ,

17 hours ago, marsh man said:

Some people just don't get the opportunity to try there hand at decoying and a huge well done for the op to offer taking someone who he had never met , no doubt he had done his homework in trying too find the best place to get a bit of shooting and I know how nerve wrecking it is to take strangers out to give them some sport , do it really matter what the bag was and to be honest what difference would it make to us if they got a few or a load .

Give the bloke some credit instead of trying of insult him , if he said he didn't count them  , well leave it at that , I believe him and so should everyone else .

This^^^ I take chaps out regularly. Sometimes lots some times not so many. Always a good day. Don't bother with pictures. 🤣

Edited by oowee

On 09/08/2023 at 17:37, ladyjack said:

Hope I don't live to regret this, but thinking of offering some shooting on a drilled field getting done as I speak, this is does not mean you can go and shoot this farm when you feel like it, if everything works out then I will invite again, you must have sgc licence and insurance which will be asked for, i have one person from the forum who wants to come, iam thinking maybe another 2 guns,one person will travel with me in my vehicle so need one other to take the other 2,whether you know each other or not,iam not taking all separate cars,sorry if a bit long winds but just so we know wrre we stand,would help if fit as you may have to carry your gear unless not all of it is not drilled,then you can drive to were you want to shoot drop gear off and move your car out of the way, obviously a 4x4 is needed i intend to leave my house at 6 ish on coming Friday and shoot till about dinner time,as other lad needs to get back to Chester le Street,if interested please enquire ,email Cdavethegun@aol.com  not on here thanks, this is first come first served, thanks Dave PS the farm is past Rothbury, hopefully someone can return the favour, 

For those of you who are interested here's a couple of photos from the day,wish I could of posted video

Screenshot_20230815-152752_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230815-152646_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230815-152605_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, Mr grumpy said:

For goodness sake,let it go.as long as a good enjoyable day was had.what does it matter how many were shot? 

Good god , can you wonder why members don't offer to take out members who would like a change of scenery and the chance of a shot or two , the last member I took out came from Essex which was about a 90 mile one way trip down to Norfolk , he stated that he didn't mind if he never had a shot as he only had some Rabbit shooting and was more interested in seeing how I go about it rather than the shooting , we started the day having a couple of bacon rolls and a cuppa round mine and then I took him for a tour around a decent perm I have got and as a extra treat we went and had a look round at the stately home that is on the place , time was them getting on so we went back to mine to load my motor up as we were going to another place that was five miles away , we arrived at the stubble field and a nice lot of Pigeons were sitting on the telegraph wires while some were already feeding on the barley stubble , we drove to the edge of the field so we had what little wind that was blowing was blowing from behind , we unloaded the motor and I showed him how to set up the decoys on wire cradles and set a few more up on the stubble itself , we didn't bother with the magnet as he didn't have one and to show him it wasn't really necessary if you picked the right spot to set up , time I had moved the motor back to the corner of the field it was now well gone two o clock , we were going to have turns each and only one person shooting at a time , I shot the first one to give him some idea when to take the bird on and then we took on everything that came in range , we had a lovely afternoon with a fair bit of leg pulling , as he have had a long day we called it a day at 6 pm although time I walked across the field with my dog to pick up a couple it was just about 7 pm time we got back to mine , we then unloaded my motor and laid the bag out to cool off , after a bite to eat he was ready to make the long journey back home , he thanked me and said he had never had a day like it and will remember it for a good many years to come , I gave him half the bag to take home and to save FOXHUNTER 1 asking we shot nearly 70 . 

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Good god , can you wonder why members don't offer to take out members who would like a change of scenery and the chance of a shot or two , the last member I took out came from Essex which was about a 90 mile one way trip down to Norfolk , he stated that he didn't mind if he never had a shot as he only had some Rabbit shooting and was more interested in seeing how I go about it rather than the shooting , we started the day having a couple of bacon rolls and a cuppa round mine and then I took him for a tour around a decent perm I have got and as a extra treat we went and had a look round at the stately home that is on the place , time was them getting on so we went back to mine to load my motor up as we were going to another place that was five miles away , we arrived at the stubble field and a nice lot of Pigeons were sitting on the telegraph wires while some were already feeding on the barley stubble , we drove to the edge of the field so we had what little wind that was blowing was blowing from behind , we unloaded the motor and I showed him how to set up the decoys on wire cradles and set a few more up on the stubble itself , we didn't bother with the magnet as he didn't have one and to show him it wasn't really necessary if you picked the right spot to set up , time I had moved the motor back to the corner of the field it was now well gone two o clock , we were going to have turns each and only one person shooting at a time , I shot the first one to give him some idea when to take the bird on and then we took on everything that came in range , we had a lovely afternoon with a fair bit of leg pulling , as he have had a long day we called it a day at 6 pm although time I walked across the field with my dog to pick up a couple it was just about 7 pm time we got back to mine , we then unloaded my motor and laid the bag out to cool off , after a bite to eat he was ready to make the long journey back home , he thanked me and said he had never had a day like it and will remember it for a good many years to come , I gave him half the bag to take home and to save FOXHUNTER 1 asking we shot nearly 70 . 

Great stuff , wasnt hard to answer was it 👍

Even if he had only shot 10 the offer would have been well received by whoever took up the offer to get out. If I had took up the offer I would be so grateful no matter what the bag. The chance very rarely happens so we should thank him for his kindness. 

Anybody down south fancy a +1 😂

4 minutes ago, Mr grumpy said:

Correct.that is what it should be about.having an enjoyable day.it would seem that foxhunter1 and his ilk are only in it for the numbers.in which case,why not shoot clays.as for harassing ladyjack about his day,all I can say is .what a 🔔end !

Shooting clays is a waste of time and money and doesnt protect crops 🤣

I go out to have an enjoyable day too but it's much more enjoyable when theres plenty to shoot. When theres nothing happening it's like watching paint dry. 

Had a rubbish few hours this afternoon, I shot 4 woodies which I call a waste of time.